Combat weapon question

Hi, I haven't played combat since Dragon Soul and lately I've noticed that there are people running either a 2.6 main hand and 1.80 dagger offhand or people with two 2.6 weapons.

Is this because they removed 1.4 daggers after Cata and changed something to combat ( I remember it having something so you needed a fast offhand dagger )

since they both had good gear and were in good guilds, I assume the 2.6/1.8 and 2.6/2.6 method is both fine to run nowadays ?

Deleted
    IIRC, combat potency was normalized so the energy gained from it is independent of OH weapon speed these days.
    With 2.6/2.6 you do more damage with Killing Spree, with 2.6/1.8 you get more poison procs, all things being equal 2.6/2.6 comes out slightly ahead, but the difference is so small that ilvl matter more than weapon speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to answer, depends on the rest of the gear. But, normally ilvl matters more than speed for off hands, while the main hand needs to be a slow weapon.
    I'd tell you to Sim it to be sure, since sometimes going from a slow heroic offhand to a heroic WF dagger is not a DPS gain, and sometimes it is...

Ilvl is the most important factor. After that, 2 x 2.6 speed weapons is a slight increase due to Killing Spree. But generally speaking, Ilvl wins.

2x2.6 is only a signficant gain if you have the t16 4-set (since it significantly boosts killing spree damage). If you don't have the 4-set, 1.8 is slightly ahead (depending on the dagger vs slow in question). But it's very close and ilevel is king. This is especially true without the 4-set--that 4-set is why the hwf dagger was behind the h slow weapon.