Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Time For A Raise?

So a little background about me and the company. A small (60-70 employees) oil and gas company that does plan work for pipelines out in Alberta. I am a drafter for the company so I am using CAD all day (civil engineering technologist degree).

Three years ago is when the company was founded, with 4 employees. As mentioned above, we're at about 60. We've also hired 4 new people in the last 3 weeks in the office I work out of. When I first started, we were in an office that was about 1200 sqft and now and for about two months, we're in an office that's about 3000 sqft. We are almost to the point where the office is full and may need to move next year. Not to mention we are crazy busy (55 hours/week for the last few weeks and that's still not enough to keep up with the workload)

I've been working with them for a year and a month now. After my probation period was up (3 months) I was given a $1.00/h raise. I haven't had any discussions with my boss about a raise, nor about receiving a bonus (something mentioned to me when I first started and that should have been handed out by now). I have never been shy about working overtime by coming in early or staying late or coming in on weekends. I meet my deadlines before their due and my work is generally with only but a few errors (our work goes through several stages of "checking" and mine comes back pretty clean).

I'm wondering if I should be asking for a raise soon (thinking about waiting till September and if I haven't heard anything I would ask). If I do ask, what is a respectable amount to get?

Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you haven't gotten a raise in 3 years, you've effectively taken a 4.3% pay cut due to inflation.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    If you haven't gotten a raise in 3 years, you've effectively taken a 4.3% pay cut due to inflation.
    Thank you but what does this have to do with my question?

Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    Thank you but what does this have to do with my question?
    He's explaining that you deserve a raise.
    That's what Gamon wants you, No, needs you to believe. Because Gamon is not the hero we deserve, but the hero we need.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say speak to your boss about it, (s)he'd be the best person to ask about it, not come here seeing help, and I hope I don't bring offence in saying that. As for the respectful amount to get, I couldn't say, really.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

I wonder what your salary is.

You should be getting a raise every year, so yes, you should talk to your boss. At a minimum you should receive raises that keep up with inflation. Bottom line though, employers don't particularly seem to like treating their employees right unless the alternatives are worse.

What happens after that is up to you and him. Obviously if he gives you one, everything works itself out. If he doesn't, you need to evaluate for yourself what the job landscape looks like for your field in your area, and decide if the one year employment is going to hold you back in your next job search if you leave.

Ask for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I wonder what your salary is.
    It's rude to ask people about their salaries...

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    What if he's getting $200k a year and is mad about his raise? That's a different feeling than him earning $35k a year working 55 hours a week using his high level knowledge, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    He specifically said he has only been working for them for a year and a month. Where do you get he has worked for them for three years?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    He specifically said he has only been working for them for a year and a month. Where do you get he has worked for them for three years?
    I must have misread the post somehow.

Though for the last year, inflation in Alberta (I presume they're in Alberta, rather than just working on stuff from somewhere else) is 2.1%/year currently, so a 2.1% raise would put you back where you started, then any additional raise justified by your performance would go on top of that.
    Last edited by Masark; 2014-07-11 at 06:13 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Ask for it.

- - - Updated - - -

This one varies wildly from place to place.

On topic: Talk to your boss. In my mind, you SHOULD have earned at least enough of a raise to keep up with inflation, possibly more. But only your boss can give you the cold, hard (or warm&fuzzy, depending) answer.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    You should definitely be getting a raise that meets the national inflation rate for your country as other people have said.

Otherwise it depends. Are you working more than you originally agreed to? Are you taking on more responsibility? Are you doing things that require more technical knowledge / experience? Has anyone else in the office gained a raise?

I don't think that people should automatically get raises (above inflation rate) if they are doing exactly the same thing, using the same skills, the same time, etc. as the previous year. If you have developed as a person and are offering the company more now than you were a year ago then you should research what other companies are paying people with your experience and qualifications, you should research what other people in your company are earning, you should make a note of all the additional things you do now than when you were originally contracted, go to your boss and let him take a look at it.

Probably a little less so in a thread where the op specifically asked about financial matters related to his salary and where it's relevant. This isn't 1900.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    So a little background about me and the company. A small (60-70 employees) oil and gas company that does plan work for pipelines out in Alberta. I am a drafter for the company so I am using CAD all day (civil engineering technologist degree).

Three years ago is when the company was founded, with 4 employees. As mentioned above, we're at about 60. We've also hired 4 new people in the last 3 weeks in the office I work out of. When I first started, we were in an office that was about 1200 sqft and now and for about two months, we're in an office that's about 3000 sqft. We are almost to the point where the office is full and may need to move next year. Not to mention we are crazy busy (55 hours/week for the last few weeks and that's still not enough to keep up with the workload)

I've been working with them for a year and a month now. After my probation period was up (3 months) I was given a $1.00/h raise. I haven't had any discussions with my boss about a raise, nor about receiving a bonus (something mentioned to me when I first started and that should have been handed out by now). I have never been shy about working overtime by coming in early or staying late or coming in on weekends. I meet my deadlines before their due and my work is generally with only but a few errors (our work goes through several stages of "checking" and mine comes back pretty clean).

I'm wondering if I should be asking for a raise soon (thinking about waiting till September and if I haven't heard anything I would ask). If I do ask, what is a respectable amount to get?

Thoughts?
    You hsould just talk to your boss. Mention the point of bonus since you have had no info on it. Its very easy to just ask and discuss your prospects. If anything put forward and tell him why you deserve a raise ect.

If you dont ask you likely wont get

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    What if he's getting $200k a year and is mad about his raise? That's a different feeling than him earning $35k a year working 55 hours a week using his high level knowledge, isn't it?
    You can get a good feel for his salary based on his last raise. They don't give a $1.00/hr raise to someone who earns $200k.

To answer the OP: Go do research. Find the average salary for your position and experience. If you're lower, or you feel that you're particularly valuable, then talk to your manager with that info. If that doesn't work, go interview for a similar position with a competitor. If you get a job offer from them, bring it back to your boss. He'll almost certainly give you the raise to keep you; it's a pain to recruit and train.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    You can get a good feel for his salary based on his last raise. They don't give a $1.00/hr raise to someone who earns $200k.

To answer the OP: Go do research. Find the average salary for your position and experience. If you're lower, or you feel that you're particularly valuable, then talk to your manager with that info. If that doesn't work, go interview for a similar position with a competitor. If you get a job offer from them, bring it back to your boss. He'll almost certainly give you the raise to keep you; it's a pain to recruit and train.
    As much as this is true if one of my staff pulled that on me i would let them go. If they have already raised the issue and been told no (for whatever reason) coming back and saying X company will give me it wont go down well.

You also leave yourself exposed as if you then dont leave for the new job it leaves (imo) your character open for judgement. Which would definitely prevent career progression

10+ Year Old Account
    You should be getting at least an inflation increase every year if your company is doing OK and you've been performing satisfactorily. Getting a larger raise than that usually wouldn't happen in the first year, but maybe in the second. Even then, it'd likely only be a couple percent more unless you move into a new position.

If they offer you a higher position, it's important that you don't accept the new position until you've already negotiated a raise in compensation commensurate with the increase in your responsibility/position. I've been screwed a few times by getting promoted without a raise. Eventually I got the raise I should have, but it took a few years on the company in bankruptcy and me pushing for the raise for it to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post

No. You can tell your boss that you've discovered that the average salary for your position is X and you feel you deserve to be making that much, but if you come into their office with a job offer from another company and threaten them with it, that's just a bad move. If your boss succumbs and gives you the raise, now you've got a boss who doesn't trust that you aren't going to jump ship and is unlikely to try to develop you further. If he doesn't, you go to the other job. So just ask for the raise without the threat. If he succumbs, you have a boss who gave you the raise without thinking you're planning on jumping ship. If he doesn't, you can still go take that other job.

Never threaten to leave without actually leaving.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Some good answers.

More info:

I don't work in Alberta, I work in another province.

To get fully "trained" to the point you can work on your own takes about 6 months to a year. They've invested this much in me, and as I continue to work the time it takes me to complete different tasks goes down, not to mention the quality of my work goes up.

There really are no competitors in the province I'm working in so I can't go that route.

I don't think (keyword) anyone has gotten a raise, then again it wouldn't be made public.

The typical work week for me is 40 hours, but for the past month we've been swamped with work so myself (and others) have been putting in overtime to help with the workload. I don't mind working extra as I either get banked time or can cash it out.

I'm not making $200,000 a year. If I was I'd be content I make $33280 before taxes.

Will continue reading later today, thanks for the answers.

Edit: So the "average" seems to be about $43000. I don't consider myself at the average yet since I still have a bit more to learn. I will be patient though because the opportunity for advancement with this company is possible for sure.
    Last edited by Velky; 2014-07-11 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    As much as this is true if one of my staff pulled that on me i would let them go. If they have already raised the issue and been told no (for whatever reason) coming back and saying X company will give me it wont go down well.

You also leave yourself exposed as if you then dont leave for the new job it leaves (imo) your character open for judgement. Which would definitely prevent career progression
    That would be your loss. That is a scenario where the employee can do nothing but win. At best probably an even wash for the employer...depending on the cost of training.

Also not accepting a job offer shouldn't effect your character.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!