Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    One of the most idiotic posts i have ever seen.... If you were paid 100 dollars an hour would you go work in a coal mine? No, probably not... because working in a coal mine would be terrible.
    Yet, there are people that do work in coal mines. Turns out they actually get paid pretty well because that job actually does suck.

http://www.nma.org/pdf/c_wages_state_industries.pdf

Not accounting for overtime and assuming a 40 hour a work week... The average wage is $39 an hour... far cry from $100.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezrow View Post
    mortgage on my 3 bedroom 2 bath house is $800...good new neighborhood. House built in the 90's. Apartments are around 5-600/month. When i was house hunting i found plenty of nice smaller homes that i could pay 5-600/month on.
    For starters, your experience doesn't apply everywhere, this shouldn't need to be repeated every time someone says "but it's cheap in XXX location!"

Secondly, the cost of living plateaus. In my area it's almost impossible to find decent apartments for less than $600, however you can find 3br/2ba homes for $800. Nice homes start around $1000 and REALLY nice homes start around $1300. But you'd still be hard pressed to find a 10x10 box for less than $600.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    And how much do you spend on gas commuting from that $700 place to where you actually work?
    i dont pay much more than he does on a house about that size and i commute 10 minutes to work every day.
    Personal Rig: AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte Windforce G1-GAMING GTX 980 / 8-GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600Mhz / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 540 / NZXT Kraken x60

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durantye View Post
    It is a mortgage
    This makes a huge difference. What percent of a down-payment did you place? I'm going to guess at least 15%?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    If your only option is to try to make a living off of flipping burgers at McDonalds the problem is with the you not the wage
    go out learn and or acquire a needed skill
    Oh ya well if you aren't part of the 1% then you are just lazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No actually Wealth is a status that is even more quickly beginning to dwindle as a right or a position any one obtains either for ever, or even can be earned. Kind of Like the Divinity once assigned to royalty.

Money = Resources, that is right now being used to hold society and the rest of the world Hostage and that reality is becoming more and more pronounced as the ENTIRE WORLD wakes up to that reality, and that is the real dumbing down that is being done by the right.

Whether it is GOD, Or LUCK, or Hard work, or some other bullshit myth, the truth is Money is being held up as almost a single item that some feel entitled and empowered to keep as a status you call wealth over other people for as long as they can.
    money is nothing but a representation of wealth you can destroy all the money in the world it will have little effect on wealth

wealth is anything that has value that someone is willing to trade another item with value for

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezrow View Post
    mortgage on my 3 bedroom 2 bath house is $800...good new neighborhood. House built in the 90's. Apartments are around 5-600/month. When i was house hunting i found plenty of nice smaller homes that i could pay 5-600/month on.
    And my mortgage (excluding insurance and taxes) is around $1,600 for a similar size house built in the 50s and apartments rent for as much as $1,200. It's almost as if the cost of living varies depending on the location...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    I know common sense is difficult, but one person is getting paid to do something they love while the other is getting paid to work with grease all day.
    How do you know they don't enjoy their jobs? I actually quite enjoyed all the fast food jobs I worked at while growing up.

Not to mention, I know this might be a shock to many, but a great deal of fast food places don't pay minimum wage. Actually, I never was hired in at minimum wage at any fast food spot after high school. I normally started somewhere around $.50 to $1.00 over minimum wage because I was a pretty decent worker.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    You can rent a U-Haul for a few hundred bucks. Throw in another $100 for gas and you're looking at < $1000. You will easily recoup that by not paying city rent.

Or we can mandate that company pay people a fair wage, and not let people like you dictate where other people should move, because maybe they didn't earn enough in your mind to live exactly where they are, I am pretty damn sure when you get right down to it, if you could put a fence around a state or cities, the way some want to do with the border, or even with neighborhoods, I am sure you would be all for it

Nobody needs to move anywhere, business need to pay the fair amount for doing business, or they need to move out of business pay higher taxes, and help support someone who will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    You can rent a U-Haul for a few hundred bucks. Throw in another $100 for gas and you're looking at < $1000. You will easily recoup that by not paying city rent.
    And de-recoup that by paying for gas, as your cheap out-the-city place is nowhere near your job.

For myself, moving to the nearest town outside of my city, would increase my costs by roughly $500/month for gas and parking.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Yeah, I'd rather work with neuroscience than flipping burgers, even if my paycheck was lower.
    Then you might want to get an education. I'm pretty sure flipping burgers was designed to be a very crappy job... hence why many of those fast food institutions have tuition reimbursement and a damn good benefit package for their full time and managerial employees.

30 year. and yea i know by the times its paid off(which i dont plan on being here long enough to pay it off) i will have paid twice as much for it.
    Personal Rig: AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte Windforce G1-GAMING GTX 980 / 8-GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600Mhz / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 540 / NZXT Kraken x60

well i used to work at fast food... they dont even give you enough hours to work much less enough pay.
    there's often entire families/clans working at fast food restaurants who all have to pool their money just to get by.
    was so sad, they had their ~80 yr old grandma working 2 jobs (mcdonalds and taco bell) at the one i worked at.

when they cut my hours to about 8 a week, i decided to join the military and get paid from your tax dollars directly and cut out the middleman of welfare instead.

if mcdonalds had paid me enough to keep trying to get my education & pay bills you wouldnt be financing my education, house, food, & retirement now.
    Last edited by starlord; 2014-07-28 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Wait, what.
    There are jobs EVERYWHERE.
    A lot of people feel too "proud" to do quite a lot of jobs.
    So if 10,000 people moved to your town, you're telling me there'd be 10,000 jobs for them?

Or are you saying that there are a finite supply of jobs and some of them require specific skillsets, so at some point, there may not be jobs in your town for people with X or Y skillset?

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    money is nothing but a representation of wealth you can destroy all the money in the world it will have little effect on wealth

wealth is anything that has value that someone is willing to trade another item with value for

Your first line is in essence saying what it is I am already saying about money it is a resource, where you distort that is when you say if you that wealth is value or establishing value, It isn't that is a line of bullshit.

then move. its not like i live in the middle of nowhere. i dont live in chicago or new york or anything but its right outside of an actual city.

Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    Oh ya well if you aren't part of the 1% then you are just lazy!
    does that 1% build and fix their own cars? does that 1% fly and maintain their own private planes? does that 1% design and build their own houses? does that 1% do their own taxes and keep up with their own accounting?

10+ Year Old Account
    does that 1% build and fix their own cars? does that 1% fly and maintain their own private planes? does that 1% design and build their own houses? does that 1% do their own taxes and keep up with their own accounting?
    No, they have robots do all that stuff. Haven't you been keeping up with this thread? The robots are replacing all the greedy workers who want to live.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

People should be paid a fair wage, a living wage.
    LOL, crazy how people think that is not ok to do.
    suddenly everyone has a bout of Apathetic CEO syndrome.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I think everybody is wrong for putting down burger flippers or even marginalizing these people like that, what gives everybody else the right to devalue these people, or to assert that if that is all ones lot in life is as a human being that they don't matter, and aren't worth being paid fairly because of what YOU judge their life to be.