Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need some advice getting started.

So, I was playing a few rounds for fun when I wanted to make a deck. Then I realized I needed to grind some cards. Np, im fine with grinding. I would like to know what the best way is? At the moment im hearing that I have to play a lot to get like, maybe, 1pack a day. That seems a bit slow since there is only five cards. So I have a few questions.

Dailies: I heard you can do up to 100 a day. How do I acquire more then just three? I didn't log in for awhile.

Wins: Is there a limit on this? 10g per 3 wins is proving a bit hard with my limited resources starting out. So I have a random deck of random stuff. I need to learn more, but not having cards isn't helping XD

Arena: How do i actually make more gold then I spent getting in? Last I heard, the vast majority of players wont make it to the streak (7+) needed to make this viable.

Just trying to figure out how to gather cards the fastest so I can start having some real fun by making decks and trying new things.

Your best bet is to get the 150g needed for arena runs and go from there, there are quite a few decent guides out there telling you what the best picks are for arena e.t.c, you can watch a few youtube videos aswell till you get to grips with the kind of strategies you can use, I find getting to about 5 wins usually makes the run worthwhile as you usually get about a hundred or so gold and a pack

In addition if you look up hearthstone achievements you will find there are a few which give you gold/packs for completing them, so it might be worth spending some time completing those aswell --- also I understand that if you just install+login onto the game via Ipad you get a free pack

Finally incase you struggle with ranked matches or anything like that due to lack of decent cards there are a few 'ftp' guides out there which show you decks you can use which require little to no rare cards whatsoever

Hope that helps
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Source)
    Paladin chat and whispers now appear with sparkles.
    We have officially changed the name of the "rogue" class to “rouge.”
    All dungeon & raid bosses now have legs. If they already had legs, they got more legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Selestarius View Post
    Your best bet is to get the 150g needed for arena runs and go from there, there are quite a few decent guides out there telling you what the best picks are for arena e.t.c, you can watch a few youtube videos aswell till you get to grips with the kind of strategies you can use, I find getting to about 5 wins usually makes the run worthwhile as you usually get about a hundred or so gold and a pack
    In the case of the arena, how do I make gold? I mean, if I could continuously win 5 times and I continuously got 100g, itd work out to a pack per 50g. Seems like a stretch though to expect it to always award 100g.

After the initial achievements, it doesn't seem like there's much to go for for gold. I'll check out the cheap guides. Hopefully I can make more then one deck. Itd get boring being stuck with one deck until I can get enough cards for another one.

Just spend like $20.00 and you will have enough cards to make 2-3 decks from the cards you received.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Just spend like $20.00 and you will have enough cards to make 2-3 decks from the cards you received.
    That feels kind of arm twisty don't you think?

Besides, im just looking for a good sustainable way to get lots of gold fast. The gold rate from wins alone isn't quite what I had hoped vs the price.

10+ Year Old Account
    The ways to get gold (to get cards) in hearthstone is by playing quite a bit. Here are the ways to do it:

1) Daily quests. You get new daily quest a day, these quests can either be worth 40, 60 or 100 gold each. If you end up with a 40 gold quest I recommend hitting the little "X" in the quest's corner to try to re-roll for a higher gold amount quest, be aware though you can only re-roll a quest once a day. You can hold up to 3 quests at any given time so their is no rush to complete them every single day.

2) Every 3 victories you gain in play mode (can't remember if arena wins give it as well) gives you 10 gold, this can be repeated up to 10 times a day. So you can gain 100 gold for 30 wins per day with just that.

3) Their are some achievements that give gold as well. (defeating all the class AI's for the first time for example) so be sure to do all of those to.

4) Arena. This is where the real gold is, if you can get roughly 7+ wins (can't quite remember it's been awhile since I went in there. Someone correct the win amount if wrong) in a single arena run you should be able to have a net gain in gold (150+total gold gained from the "bags").
    Pokemon Shield
    FC: SW-6999-1982-1088
    Name: Awesome
    Always ready to battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    That feels kind of arm twisty don't you think?

Besides, im just looking for a good sustainable way to get lots of gold fast. The gold rate from wins alone isn't quite what I had hoped vs the price.
    I don't know of a way of doing more than one daily per day (exept of course, simply letting them back up from previous days). You can just about break even value wise in arena at around 4 wins. I say value because the dust you recieve from arena can be factored in as gold value. You can also start to cherry pick from classes you don't plan to play right off. Disenchant cards that you recieve for say, a warrior and then craft something for the priest decks if you like. I personally wouldn't do this because you never really know what you may want to play in the future, but it is an option.

Look up some of the mage and hunter decks out there, you can make very viable and inexpensive decks for both hero's.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Guess I'll have to feel it out. I play a game that's known for being grindy called warframe. But it is a lot of fun so the 3 1/2day wait on some items isn't really that bad. So far, the grind here seems so bad it almost twists my arm to buy cards. I'll just have to get a feel for it myself. Hopefully I can have some fun at least. Losing over and over and being unable to make a good deck doesn't seem fun though =/.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Guess I'll have to feel it out. I play a game that's known for being grindy called warframe. But it is a lot of fun so the 3 1/2day wait on some items isn't really that bad. So far, the grind here seems so bad it almost twists my arm to buy cards. I'll just have to get a feel for it myself. Hopefully I can have some fun at least. Losing over and over and being unable to make a good deck doesn't seem fun though =/.
    Unfortunately the way things are is that initially you will probably lose a fair few matches, try and make sure you play ranked a few days after a new season initially starts (everyones rank goes down a lot so you will get alot more competition at the lower ranks then usual)

Dailies are a good way to make the gold needed for arena runs -- also you can net 1100 gold from achievements (granted a few of these are more difficult then the others to do) -- also if it helps the only time I have paid for cards is the x2 packs during the beta for golden gelbin and for the nax wings (which by the way if you can complete (guides on how to do this with only basic cards do exist) can give you some decent starter cards and even a couple of legendaries -- nerubian eggs are particularly useful)

* oh and when you first start to play you can do 4 quests which when completed give you a free arena run, 100g and 2 packs respectively*
    Last edited by Selestarius; 2014-08-05 at 09:31 PM.
    All dungeon & raid bosses now have legs. If they already had legs, they got more legs.

Welcome to an online card game, you either fork over money to get your cards fast or you grind it out slow.

My experience with online card games is limited to this, mtg, and dotc, but the fact that the arena even exists puts this far beyond either of those actually allowing you to get any card you want.

In those other 2 you HAVE to pay real money to get the cards.

So I really don't think its twisting your arm that much but even if it is its better then getting your face pushed into the pillow like the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    Welcome to an online card game, you either fork over money to get your cards fast or you grind it out slow.

My experience with online card games is limited to this, mtg, and dotc, but the fact that the arena even exists puts this far beyond either of those actually allowing you to get any card you want.
    Umm, how does the arena let you get any card you want? You only get to choose from certain cards they show and you don't get to keep them. That and honestly, if the only way to get cards so I can play in a way I enjoy most, or grind for months playing the same thing over and over, that will get boring to me. I wouldn't really spend money on something that cannot get me invested in a meaningful manor for free.

Oh, and is there a way I can track achievements? That way I know which ones I can and can't do.

the basic cards tend to be the bread and butter of most decks. sure, there's a lot of rares that are very handy, but if you look around, you can usually find some cheap 'budget' decks that dont require much as far as crafting.

the naxx wings are great too. the cards there are fairly easy to acquire, and have proven to be new mainstays of many decks.

the thing about arenas is not to go there expecting to earn gold, but as a discount to paying 200g for packs.

if the pace of gold/quests is too slow for you, $$.

you certainly don't have to pay to win, but if you're playing for free, there's not much room for complaining about the pace being too slow.

btw -- guides for nax can be found here: http://www.hearthhead.com/curse-of-naxxramas

Umm, how does the arena let you get any card you want? You only get to choose from certain cards they show and you don't get to keep them. That and honestly, if the only way to get cards so I can play in a way I enjoy most, or grind for months playing the same thing over and over, that will get boring to me. I wouldn't really spend money on something that cannot get me invested in a meaningful manor for free.

Oh, and is there a way I can track achievements? That way I know which ones I can and can't do.
    Through the arena you can win packs cards dust and gold.

Cards you don't need get d/ed to eventually make the card you are actually looking for.

You will eventually get what you want, or you might stumble upon it on your way.

Its either slow for free or fast for money, I don't know what to tell you there's nothing wrong with that. If it were fast for free the game wouldn't exist.

I'm not sure what achievements your talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post

you certainly don't have to pay to win, but if you're playing for free, there's not much room for complaining about the pace being too slow.
    But of course there is. How else are they going to get me to pay? If i'm not having enough fun or its too slow to have any real fun, why invest money? Sadly, there is a certain bit of pay to win factor in the fact that the better cards allow you to go further.

Hopefully I can find a fun deck or two without spending money. I want to have fun, and it seems like a fun game, but not being able to if I don't pay would really suck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Selestarius View Post
    btw -- guides for nax can be found here: http://www.hearthhead.com/curse-of-naxxramas
    Thanks for the guide

- - - Updated - - -

Its either slow for free or fast for money, I don't know what to tell you there's nothing wrong with that. If it were fast for free the game wouldn't exist.

I'm not sure what achievements your talking about?
    The ones that award gold.
    Atm, its seeming too slow for free and too fast for money. It feels like I wont have a lot of fun unless I dump like 20$. If I do then suddenly a lot more opens up since I have more cards/

But of course there is. How else are they going to get me to pay? If i'm not having enough fun or its too slow to have any real fun, why invest money? Sadly, there is a certain bit of pay to win factor in the fact that the better cards allow you to go further.

Hopefully I can find a fun deck or two without spending money. I want to have fun, and it seems like a fun game, but not being able to if I don't pay would really suck.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the guide

- - - Updated - - -

The ones that award gold.
    Atm, its seeming too slow for free and too fast for money. It feels like I wont have a lot of fun unless I dump like 20$. If I do then suddenly a lot more opens up since I have more cards/
    Ahh I think you mean quests thats why I was confused. As far as I know there isn't a way to track them they will just pop op and tell you your progression after each game.

I've probably spent about 20 dollars total on this game(plus naxx), all in beta all for arena runs because I was bad and too impatient to do it myself. I've never actually bought packs with real money.

All i really do is play to 1000 gold buy 10 packs and open them. Works for me if you have that much of a hang up about it it just might not be for you is all.

With only spending that much the only useful legendaries I don't have are bloodmage and black knight, and I got them far after I burned through my 20 bucks.
    Last edited by Ravex; 2014-08-05 at 09:54 PM.

Ahh I think you mean quests thats why I was confused. As far as I know there isn't a way to track them they will just pop op and tell you your progression after each game.

I've probably spent about 20 dollars total on this game(plus naxx), all in beta all for arena runs because I was bad and too impatient to do it myself. I've never actually bought packs with real money.

All i really do is play to 1000 gold buy 10 packs and open them. Works for me if you have that much of a hang up about it it just might not be for you is all.

With only spending that much the only useful legendaries I don't have are bloodmage and black knight, and I got them far after I burned through my 20 bucks.
    Oh, they arent achievements? I might try that 1000 gold thing, but it'll take me forever to get that. especially if its 100g a day from wins limit. This game really seems like a lot of fun. Just it seems really punishing and daunting to get into unless I pay.

Oh, they arent achievements? I might try that 1000 gold thing, but it'll take me forever to get that. especially if its 100g a day from wins limit. This game really seems like a lot of fun. Just it seems really punishing and daunting to get into unless I pay.
    Na they are quests and you get a new one everyday.

Its possible to turn 150 gold into 2 packs and 5-600 gold. I've done it quite a few times, its not the norm but when you pull it off feels pretty awesome.

I think he might mean those one off things like "get all classes to level 10". I'm fairly new myself, so don't know if there's any way to track them except look at a list and see what you've done.

As for decks, so far I've just chosen a class and clicked play in casual mode without bothering to build decks at all. You have to adapt since you could get literally anything, but it's a lot of fun at least for me. It's also been getting me gold from wins/dailies while I leveled up my heroes for the basic cards and the income goes straight to getting more cards. By the time you unlock all the basic cards for all heroes, you should have enough gold to get a bunch of packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Prese View Post
    I think he might mean those one off things like "get all classes to level 10". I'm fairly new myself, so don't know if there's any way to track them except look at a list and see what you've done.

As for decks, so far I've just chosen a class and clicked play in casual mode without bothering to build decks at all. You have to adapt since you could get literally anything, but it's a lot of fun at least for me. It's also been getting me gold from wins/dailies while I leveled up my heroes for the basic cards and the income goes straight to getting more cards. By the time you unlock all the basic cards for all heroes, you should have enough gold to get a bunch of packs.
    Ahh its been a while since I've seen those there aren't many of them