Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

6.0/6.1 FOTM? (Speculation)

Sadly, I haven't got my hands on a beta key and know very little about how the balance looks in PvE/PvP.

But judging from what it seems, what class is most leaning towards being fotm in 6.0/6.1 in PvE as well as PvP? Or will there not be any fotm?

Don't know if this is impossible to judge atm or if we can have our expectations. Would be fun to know as it almost seem to change throughout the expansion.

And oh, for those unaware, here is the definition:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FOTM

Deleted
    Since balance tuning hasn't been done yet it's impossible to tell right now.

Hard to say at the moment with things subject to change, but I think warrior, BM hunter and Destro Lock (again) will do well.

Nerf them Savages. Quadhit = oneshot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now, most classes are having identity issues due to the ability pruning and Blizzard's every-which-way direction(s).

I'm kind of confused myself right now of the direction for Feral Druids and Beastmaster Hunters (abilities and rotation), but it'll be smoothed out with time.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can never go wrong with Mage.

I tested few classes and this is my list in the order I will level my alts:

Rogues: the talent that copies the moves the rogue did is potentially an amazing talent. Expect huge things done with this talent. Ability pruning did not hurt rogues much.

Mage: more defensive talents, some nerfs but the class will likely shine. Current dps is quite good for pve.

Hunters: very interesting talents, less CC but can potentially become one of the top classes for pve. Ranged melee with no dip in dps due to movement.

Warriors: I feel they oversimplified arms warriors. Current aoe potential and ease of play will likely see them as one of the top played classes. Grip two targets into an arms warriors that unleash all his aoe: yes please.

classes that might turn out OP and are under the radar: feral druid and moonkins.

Deleted
    On current Raid testing, PVE wise, it's mages who are far ahead. Most melees underperform. Of course warriors are somewhat over the top (once again) and mages are crazy @ dps.

I'll speak for the Hunters.

BM Hunters could be strong mainly because they're basically unchanged from live. Their core still exists.

People are bickering about MM Hunters being absolutely horrid due to the mastery and uneventful rotation. I will agreed the rotation is uneventful (2 button rotation with 2 CD nukes that in no way impact your rotation). A lot of people I think are just scared of the change with the mastery, though. They want to make MM the "stand still caster spec" for Hunters, which is fine. Hunters cried out for more spec diversity and with MM, they got it.

Surv is....not even a thing right now. It's a literal husk of what it used to be. Lock and Load is the clunkiest proc mechanic in the game now. The spec has no damage CDs, is extremely slow, and is constantly focus starved. I've sat at the dummy for quite some time now on beta going "this is FOR SURE the talent combo that will make this spec feel better! Wait no...maybe this one? Hmm not that one either...alright I give up this spec is useless right now." If they made Lock and Load and Explosive Shot work exactly like Shooting Stars and Starsurge does for Boomkin, that would help things a lot.

The last thing that needs fixed for Hunters is the Lone Wolf talent for Surv/MM. #1: It alienates several class talents and one major class ability (Master's Call). Blizzard refuses to give us alternative talents to ones that rely on pets when we take Lone Wolf. They claim it's the "trade off," but yet they go along and give Warlocks alternative talents and abilities when they take Grimoire of Sacrifice. #2: It only buffs single target damage now and not AoE, while the BM equivalent of the talent (Adaptation) boosts pet damage by a fair amount, which in turn strengthens BM's already superior AoE. So, they have some problems to fix still. I'm just worried when they go to band-aid fix us halfway through the next raid tier (like they have with the last 5 raid tiers) Aspect of the Hawk won't be there to give us a flat attack power boost. So they'll have to figure something else out.

As for other classes I've tried out, Boomkin seems very solid, along with Fire and Frost Mage. Although the change to Water Jet where Frostfire Bolt will no longer automatically grant stacks of Fingers of Frost makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by femur68 View Post
    I'll speak for the Hunters.

*snip.
    Thanks so much for all the info, very interesting read! Good thing BM doesn't change much, it's my favorite spec. Just so much fluid than the other 2, feels way less spammy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisso View Post
    Thanks so much for all the info, very interesting read! Good thing BM doesn't change much, it's my favorite spec. Just so much fluid than the other 2, feels way less spammy.
    You're welcome. I initially had to go BM for the first time ever in MoP to be bloodlust bitch for my 10man raiding team. The spec grew on me after awhile. Once you learn how to position and micromanage your pet it becomes a really fun spec to play. The complexity doesn't come in the basic rotation, but comes in things like maximizing pet uptime on targets, utilizing Beast Cleave as your primary AoE (not Multi-shot), knowing when to use Focus Fire, managing not only your focus before Bestial Wrath, but your pet's focus too, etc.

I've honestly played more of other classes than Hunter so far on the beta, mainly due to there wasn't much new to learn for Hunters. BM required no re-learning of anything really (outside of slightly altering when I used focus fire), the MM rotation is extremely trivial, and Survival is just near unplayable right now. I tried very hard to understand if there was anything good with how Survival operated and if there was just some nuance somewhere I wasn't seeing, but couldn't find any.

Other classes I think that still need work are Affliction warlocks (honestly just revert Soul Swap to its 5.2 state where it was an ability that let you remove dots from one target and apply them to another, then let you take a glyph where it lets you copy/paste the dots instead, but put a 30sec CD on the ability instead of this whole "requiring a soulshard to use" crap), Rogues (Rogues also cried out for spec identity like Hunters, but seemingly got very little/none.), and disc priests (they are under-tuned beyond belief right now).

Two other specs I forgot to mention before that I find amazing on beta: Spriests and Enhancement shamans. Spriests have such versatile lvl 100 talents. I'm incredibly jealous of their 100 talents as a hunter. They're all very solid. And enhancement feels GREAT with the no ICD on the new Windfury. I was getting stacks of Maelstrom weapon so fast even with low gear. I had despised Enhancement in previous expansions because I felt it was "too slow." Now, it feels much more action packed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Balance druids are going to be insanely over powered come 6.0.

Dat starfall.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Klatar View Post
    On current Raid testing, PVE wise, it's mages who are far ahead. Most melees underperform. Of course warriors are somewhat over the top (once again) and mages are crazy @ dps.
    The numbers final pass is not done and nothing will stay the same. If you think Arms and Ice Mages will stay where they are numbers wise that is crazy.

To save alot of people some dissappointment.

Warrior in gladiator stance isn't anything impressive for pvp. You won't burst as hard as arms and you won't be as tanky as in defensive stance, you're basically arms but without Recklessness. You still won't beat any of the classic counters in 1v1, as gladiator stance warrior. It's only good for warriors who tank as a career as it allows them to play dps and pvp without changing their style or weapons.

lookin at things right now.. i would say resto druid, frost dk, shadow, guardian and ofc mage.

Warriors and Mages.

is there some reason mages are always at the top in dps? Are they just an easy class for blizzard to work with compared to the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by kramjam View Post
    is there some reason mages are always at the top in dps? Are they just an easy class for blizzard to work with compared to the rest?
    Frost is broken right now on the beta and it will be nerfed.

Besides, we all know by now that top dps spot is always reserved for warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire989 View Post
    The numbers final pass is not done and nothing will stay the same. If you think Arms and Ice Mages will stay where they are numbers wise that is crazy.
    Is this based on past experiences? Because mage and warriors have always been on top every expansion. They nerfed warriors one time and the uprising of cry threads could have caused a DDOS.

To answer the OP, mage and warrior, but then again when did playing FOTM become popular over playing what you like? Who cares who will be overpowered. To me playing the overpowered classes is a badge of fail, not of success.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellrime View Post
    Is this based on past experiences? Because mage and warriors have always been on top every expansion. They nerfed warriors one time and the uprising of cry threads could have caused a DDOS.

To answer the OP, mage and warrior, but then again when did playing FOTM become popular over playing what you like? Who cares who will be overpowered. To me playing the overpowered classes is a badge of fail, not of success.
    Is mage and warrior OP as in "OP" or OP as in "they wreck face in arena but I can kick their butts on at least 4 classes in duels and wpvp" like they are now in MoP ?
    Last edited by Keyboard Champion; 2014-08-08 at 04:10 PM.