Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    people who say hearthstone as "herthstone".
    This. This so many times.
    "I hate it when Paladins bubble-'herth' away from me."
    "Well, I hate it when you mangle the English language."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcackermann86 View Post
    .Another big one is Xuen. It's not Zoo-in, it's Shwen.
    Has it seriously been Shwen all this time? I've been calling him Zoo-wen the entirety of MoP, and it's been SHWEN the entire time? I SUMMON HIM ALL THE TIME TO FIGHT MY BATTLES AND IT'S BEEN SHWEN? WHAT KIND OF MONK AM I, NOT EVEN KNOWING THE CELESTIAL I INVOKE EVERY TIME I GO UP AGAINST A DIFFICULT BATTLE'S NAME PRONUNCIATION! I LITERALLY HAVE HIS WINGS SHINING EVERY 10 SECONDS AND I WASN'T EVEN PRONOUNCING HIS NAME RIGHT! I'M A DISGRACE!
    I might be overreacting. Might.
    Isn't it fitting WoW really took a nosedive after 'the Cataclysm'?

i dont know that ive really heard many people actually saying this out loud, but it was many years before i realized "Dun Morogh" was pronounced like "dune more-ah" (in spite of them actually saying it in-game in the pre-cataclysm dwarf intro cinematic -_-)

C'thun is one i have heard mispronounced though, often as SEE-THUNE

Pronouncing the -dum in Uldum as "dumb" instead of "doom" is technically incorrect, but it is a pretty dumb zone so carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Deeps. Pronounced as it is spelled. Not DPS, deeps. And they type it like that, too. Is that supposed to be cool?
    That sort of pronunciation is not necessarily uncommon for acronyms though: laser, scuba, NASA, NASDAQ. Though all of these examples have a spelling that is more appropriate for following English pronunciation rules, so DPS should probably remain in the same category as ABC, FBI, and NTSB.

Absolutely no reason to type it out as "deeps" though. In a world where many people abbreviate almost everything, why would anyone want to type out extra characters?

Scholomance was one that always bothered me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Xaril, the Poisoned Mind shall be forever known as "Carl".

10+ Year Old Account
    "Duskwallow."

It's

DUSTWALLOW.

Also, people who mispronounce my name on vent. Honestly, is "kaleredar" that hard to sound out? I've heard "kaldar," "kalendar," ugh...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    "Duskwallow."

It's

DUSTWALLOW.
    I had no idea. Ten years and I had no idea it wasn't Duskwallow.

Shit.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Shayman is another that annoys me.
    Might wanna gouge out your ears, then, since that's one of the correct ways to pronounce it.

People using shotted in the term "one-shotted"
    While it is a word, it is not what you think it is -_-

One of my personal pet peeves isn't related to mispronunciation but rather the wrong pronoun usage on many bosses. The last guild I raided with would constantly call male bosses "she" and female bosses "he" in conversation. This was especially baffling with bosses like the ones that have titles like "Lady" or "Queen" as part of their name.

It's like "why do you keep calling Lady Deathwhisper a dude?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah, more of em...

"xmorg"

"restro druid"

"ench shaman"

"blacksmither"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    "blacksmither"
    Blacksmithing itself drives me crazy, because it is completely wrong. A blacksmith works iron and/or steel, metalsmith or smith would be far more accurate name for the profession.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Looking for two more for math and spelling contest. One Preist, one Rouge, and one Shamon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamondo View Post
    C'thun is one i have heard mispronounced though, often as SEE-THUNE
    That is actually one I have been unsure on how to pronounce properly. Jumping between See-thune, See-Thun and Kah-thoon cause I have no earthly idea how to pronounce his name.

Y'shaarj and Yogg-Saron? No issue with, but C'thun? No flippin clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keristrasza View Post
    That is actually one I have been unsure on how to pronounce properly. Jumping between See-thune, See-Thun and Kah-thoon cause I have no earthly idea how to pronounce his name.

I've always said "kuh-thun" (like "thumb)

Though who knows, if blizzard wants to be all tolkeinesq with it, they might go "kuh-thoon." Like how uldum is supposedly pronounced "ol-doom." (c wut they did thar?)
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I've always said "kuh-thun" (like "thumb)

Though who knows, if blizzard wants to be all tolkeinesq with it, they might go "kuh-thoon." Like how uldum is supposedly pronounced "ol-doom." (c wut they did thar?)
    The model is listed in the files as "kathune", so I've always assumed that's correct.

Who does the first one refer to?
    Trash-run. How people turn "trash" into "thrash" I'll never know, but it seems fairly common.

Anyway, correct pronunciation of "Auchindoun":

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Keristrasza View Post

It's basically pronounced "K'thun", just like Cthulhu is pronounced "Ktulhu".

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by marcackermann86 View Post
    That's close and would be correct if it was an English word. In Chinese, "Xu" is pronounced "shoo" so it's technically "shoo-en" but it's pronounced as one syllable which makes it pronounced "shwen."
    Damn, I wish I knew that earlier. I had trouble pronouncing words like that, reading the X like in "experience" (which led to "Ksu-en").
    Other mistakes I used to make:
    - Hillsbrad as "Hillsh-brad" (no idea where that came from, fixed it after replaying the Warcraft II campaign);
    - the short TY (Thank You) as "Thai" (like in "Thailand"), Terrorkar forest, Ogrimar.
    Stuff I've heard from other people: Ogrear instead of Orgrimmar (as "O-greh-arr"), "gear" as "geer" (Gee- like in Jesus).

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    It's basically pronounced "K'thun", just like Cthulhu is pronounced "Ktulhu".
    Which, incidentally, is an incorrect pronunciation according to Lovecraft - according to the lore he created for that kind of stuff and mentioned in a letter, the proper pronunciation isn't actually something you can say using the human way of speaking, with the closest approximation being "Khlûl'-hloo" with the first syllable being "pronounced gutturally and very thickly" and a few other notes on it included in the letter.

Then again, Lovecraft was also known to pronounce it in a couple other ways on other occasions, so take the above for what it's worth...

C'thun, however, is based on the popular pronunciation of it Cthulhu, or something like it as you suggest (which became popular some time after Lovecraft died and has been reinforced by a number of games and other products), so it does use the distinct "K" sound at the beginning followed by the "th" and the rest.