Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Possible glimpse of the new profession catch up mechanic.

Was on youtube and stumbled across this video.

All credit should go to Kelani

Looks pretty interesting.

For those who can't see the video it seems as if they did away with minimum profession levels for WoD patterns. So you can talk to a trainer, get your profession, and instantly start crafting Draenor patterns and level 1-700 that way. No old mats at all. Again this is still beta but this would be huge if this made it to live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very interesting indeed. It'll basically kill the requirement for max level chars going back to old zones.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    LFR can be too easy for individual players, but individual players get lumped with 24 other random people, and it's pretty much certain that in 25 random people you'll have at least one guy who makes you wonder how he managed to switch his computer on.

I'm pretty sure they said they were going to make some professions like they did with Blacksmithing in Mists. You can use all ghost iron ore to level to 600 if you wanted to.

Immediate consequence: less demand / profit in non-Draenor mats for leveling professions. No need to stock up quite that much, I suppose.

It kind of makes you wonder what the point is for all the other patterns. If this holds true there is going to be huge demand for just current xpac mats through the entire expansion. All the other ores and mats may as well not exist. Hell they may as well just go through all of the zones and replace the ore and herbs with WoD node spawns because WoD areas are just going to be packed with gathering people. Its going to make every other Mat just feel nitch.

i really like that - will make leveling profession later in the expansion super easy since there is usually an abundance of mats.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by jimlow View Post
    It kind of makes you wonder what the point is for all the other patterns. If this holds true there is going to be huge demand for just current xpac mats through the entire expansion. All the other ores and mats may as well not exist. Hell they may as well just go through all of the zones and replace the ore and herbs with WoD node spawns because WoD areas are just going to be packed with gathering people. Its going to make every other Mat just feel nitch.
    Or you know it helps turn the old mat markets into something a little less bonkers so when that new guy on his first level 20 character checks the AH because he wants to buy some stuff for his professions he doesn't see a list of mats costing 20g each while he doesn't even have a single gold piece.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Not sure how to feel about this. It's nice for leveling proffs for sure. But this will likely kill my biggest source of gold since you could always count on old mats to sell. Will be intresting to see how this works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Or you know it helps turn the old mat markets into something a little less bonkers so when that new guy on his first level 20 character checks the AH because he wants to buy some stuff for his professions he doesn't see a list of mats costing 20g each while he doesn't even have a single gold piece.
    It might, but my money is on it tanking those markets. I'm looking at it this way. Say I have a gathering profession. Do I spend my time gathering current xpac mats or do I spend my time gathering old xpac stuff. Currently the only reason those markets demand such a high price is because nobody wants to go farm those materials and the only reason people even need those materials is because you need them to get to the next teir of your profession level. The level 20 in your example that goes to the AH to buys some stuff isn't going to see copper, tin, bronze, and silver in stacks for large amounts of money. He's just not going to see them at all.

This system destroys that and in its place is a negative loop. Those patterns in the video some had 5 or 10 skill points assigned to them with very few mats that I could see. Why farm or gather fel-iron/adamantite to get over that outland hump when crafting 5 WoD patterns that grant 10 skillpoints each which will power you through all of the outland profession teir. Where would that leave the demand. You would need too much of the old mats at too low of a price point to make it worth your time gathering, you could never price the mats higher then what the WoD mats were and even if you did post them a few gold cheaper, those Wod patterns are way more efficient to craft. and say you were like YOLO and listed the mats as stupid low prices. You would just be cheating yourself, as the time you spent gathering could have been spent gathering WoD mats that are guaranteed to sell and sell at a much higher baseline.

One possible solution: add expansion-themed transmog items that require that expansions mats, that is to say, on top of current recipes, so that volume can increase a little.

draenor mats will have a huge demand, everything else will be next to worthless, so sell all mats now, and double gatherers should make a fortune.

What they did with Blacksmithing in Mists: You create unusable items to gain points with absurd amount of Ghost Iron Bars so the option to level BS in pandaria was there but it cost A LOT. So the old mats were just fine with their crafting of gear/items, but you could focus on either. Ghost Iron has been a huge commodity this expansion because of it but the old ores/bars are still more valuable on AH.

If anything, it brought the prices of old mats UP.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    stockpill old mats they said, everyone will be rolling new professions they said

luckily i stockpilled only mats required for old vanity crafts

To be fair, if you look closely in the video, to learn the scroll to go from 1-700 via WoD mats only, you need to be level 90. It had a "Requires Level 90" tag to it. Which means, those people wanting to level their professions as their level their toons will still have people to sell to, and will still be collecting mats as they level.

This would also mean you'd have to have at least one too working through Draenor with the gathering skill you need to get the mats, otherwise you will spend a fortune buying the mats since there will be people boosting to 90 and using these catch up mechanics to power through to max level, which means not only will those folks with dual crafting professions have to buy their mats, but so will all the folks powerleveling their new professions.

All in all, this will hurt the current economics of farming old world materials, but it won't completely destroy it. It will make it so that high-to-max level toons probably won't be out farming old stuff, which will actually make it a bit easier for lower levels to level their professions as they level themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Immediate consequence: less demand / profit in non-Draenor mats for leveling professions. No need to stock up quite that much, I suppose.
    And a destruction of the low level economy.

A new player already has enough problems farming 700g+ for each glyph needed if he doesn't have any experience with playing auction houses in mmos, they are making it worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlow View Post
    So you can talk to a trainer, get your profession, and instantly start crafting Draenor patterns and level 1-700 that way. No old mats at all. Again this is still beta but this would be huge if this made it to live.
    It is live with blacksmithing. And it is huge, expensive waste of time. You need like 6,000 bars to level it. That's 12,000 ore. That's 600 stacks, kids. You think that has really become the only thing people use now? It looks like the same deal here. Do you want to spend 20g on a stack of copper to level or buy the new expansion's ore for 100g? Hm. The thing that worries me is being able to craft actual Draenor patterns from level 1. There had better be skill requirements for most things, else leveling the profession is an immense waste of time.
    Last edited by foxHeart; 2014-08-15 at 12:22 AM.
    Look! Words!

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    draenor mats will have a huge demand, everything else will be next to worthless, so sell all mats now, and double gatherers should make a fortune.
    But I haven't seen a cheap no cooldown bag in draenor, which keeps embersilk and windwool prices from falling into the abyss

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    It is live with blacksmithing. And it is huge, expensive waste of time. It looks like the same deal here. Do you want to spend 20g on a stack of copper to level or buy the new expansion's ore for 100g? Hm. The thing that worries me is being able to craft actual Draenor patterns from level 1. There had better be skill requirements for most things, else leveling the profession is an immense waste of time.
    Difference is this seems to be useful items.

Like starting to build up a stock of WoD bolts while leveling tailoring, rather than crafting hundreds of them when you have outleveled them and they no longer give skill points.

Edit: I also think its only basic recipes that will be available from level 1, like bolts of cloth, engineering bolts, maybe some greens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    Difference is this seems to be useful items.
    The only useful items are the ones we'll prefer at max level. Some professions may have a few exceptions like with bolts for tailoring, but for most, it's just uncommon quality gems, uncommon lw/tailoring/bs/jc items, random engineer nonsense, and niche potions. How many people use these at max level? Sure, they'll be more useful than a vendor item but still only good for leveling the profession or maybe disenchanting. And again, buying old world mats will likely be way, way cheaper than paying out the ass for new mats.
    Look! Words!

It will still be cheaper to level the professions with old materials...but that also means that some old materials will return to normal prices...obsidium ores, hypnotic dust for example are at 8-10g each!
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

What they have in mind is a good catch up mechanic but i think they totally miss the point.

We don't need 700 freaking levels of a profession if we only intend to do something usefull in the last 100 levels. They should give it another twist and treat all profession levels the same way they did cooking specializations in mop.

Each profession should have several independent tiers each one corresponding to one expansion. You can level your 'vanilla jewelcrafting' if you want, or you can just ignore it and level your 'draenor jewelcrafting', with the same 100 levels it has now but without the need to level all the old stuff, you can always go back and do it, but you don't need to do it.