Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy priest healing

So from what I know, holy priest use their emergency heal as normal? If I'm going oom would that mean not enough spirit or too much flash heal usage? Since I believe holy priests should be stacking heaps of spirit this shouldn't be a problem though right?

Also, is flash heal used like a normal thing for Holy priest? Like someone is at half health or something but not in danger, no serendipity stacks. Just use flash heal like a paladin using divine light? Or HW serenity and let renew top them back up?

Wrong on both accounts. You actually just roll disc and smite...

But anyway, I dont really know that much about holy, I usually play shadow as my off spec. I do know you should be using From Darkness, Comes Light for flash heal procs and using those when available. 10man is a bit more straight foward, renew a lot in yellow chakra and use FDCL procs, PoH on serendipidy and CoH and PoM on cooldown and with Divine Insight procs, 90 talents for heavy lifting and use holy word spells just cause they're there.
    My guess is that you havent healed in a while, cause you appear to have the single target heal mentality common to those who havent healed in mop. Single target healing is almost non existant, its all about aoe spam and blanketing with hots or absorbs. Flash heal gets used by holy more because of FDCL and serendipidy interractions, and not so much because single target is necessary. Smart heals will generally take care of any single target healing required and your lack of smart heals as holy is a painful drawback. You often find even your instant flash heal procs from FDCL are wasted because someone elses smart heals have reacted faster than you. They do refresh renew in yellow chakra though, so thats nice.
    Spirit, yes holy needs a lot, but not so that you can spam flash heal.
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

Deleted
    If you want help, you'll need to give us more info than just that. Holy priest gameplay changes a lot depending on your raid format and/or your gearing strategy.

Have you read the holy priest guides here at MMO and on Howtopriest.com?
    Are you playing 10 or 25 man ?
    If you're playing 10man, are you using the renew refreshing gameplay or 25man gameplay ?

As for your example, I'm assuming you're playing 10 man with renew. why using flash heal on a target that is not likely to die ? If you don't have a surge of light proc, you'd better use renew or HW:Serenity.

Assuming that you're talking about WoD beta...
    Given that single target spells don't refresh Renew, sit in Chakra: Sanctuary, spam Renew. CoH when need, same applies to Divine Hymn. Take 'Power Infusion' talet, when you use it continue to spam Renew. Use Cascade or Halo sparingly.

In a 10min raid fight you should get close to 200 casts of Renew and roughly 50 CoH.
    Everything else eats mana and isn't worth it.

Have fun in the all new and improved healing model in Warlords of Draenor!!

Since hes talking about stacking spirit, I really doubt hes talking about WoD anything

Hmm bit too complicated I see... I'll just stick with disc then... Dat smite spam though.

Quote Originally Posted by Atonement View Post
    Since hes talking about stacking spirit, I really doubt hes talking about WoD anything
    it's a good thing to do in 10m, since glyphed binding heal is a mana dump. definitely need more information though, logs would also help

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy valmer View Post
    Hmm bit too complicated I see... I'll just stick with disc then... Dat smite spam though.
    Playing holy isn't complicated, but you really don't want to spam flash heal. It is however difficult to play well in it's current state.

I tried playing holy for a bit and ended up switching back to disc - my unsolicited advice is to stay disc until WoD and see what holy looks like then.

Quote Originally Posted by Fefina View Post
    Playing holy isn't complicated, but you really don't want to spam flash heal. It is however difficult to play well in it's current state.

I tried playing holy for a bit and ended up switching back to disc - my unsolicited advice is to stay disc until WoD and see what holy looks like then.
    Holy in WoD is definitely going to be much stronger if the healing/damage stays the same as it currently is (Holy feels much more polished than disc currently, but it's still early). In the Beta instances I've done it's not easy to top off people in heavy AOE meaning echos of light is actually really strong. I was surprised to see CoH as my top heal done at the end as well....felt like BC all over again haha.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy valmer View Post
    Tbh I don't understand why people still say smite spam. Penance is the majority of atonement healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Tbh I don't understand why people still say smite spam. Penance is the majority of atonement healing.
    Well because its the most used spell in atonement healing since penance and holy fire have a CD.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Well because its the most used spell in atonement healing since penance and holy fire have a CD.
    That's like saying all a shadow priest does is spam mind flay.

Have you read my Holy guide on healing? Link is in my signature and stickied here.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    That's like saying all a shadow priest does is spam mind flay.
    Right, but i never hear anyone say mindflay spam, do you?

Actually, a good disc will have more casts of holy fire and penance than smite. Smite is the absolute lowest priority spell.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you mean penance+holy fire together yeah. People just call it smite spamming, but really they mean penance/holy fire/smite spamming. (Or, atleast I hope they do lol)

Probably a little OT anyways...

Well.. no id have to check my logs to be sure, but I think on most fights that arnt particularly atonement heavy penance alone has more casts than smite, since much fo the time between holy fire and penances is spent on meta gem proc PWS, spirit shell, level 90 talent, PoM, inner focus PoH, rapture PWS, moving... low haste means most of those take at least a fulk 1.5s gcd, penance has a 12 sec cooldown and train of thought, I often only get a couple smites in, sometimes more, sometimes less.

But on an atonement heavy fight like Iron Jug hc where even just a few seconds without atonement means spike dmg deaths, I often get a lot more smites in, since I dont waste time on spirit shell or poh unless im trying to specifically whore the meters. Even PoM is usually restricted to the siege phase. And id have to ask draco, but even then I should probably be using more pws during meta gem procs and whatnot and not so much smite. Smites spell power coefficient is fairly crap so thats why

- - - Updated - - -

And yeah, just a bit off topic

Quote Originally Posted by Atonement View Post
    Actually, a good disc will have more casts of holy fire and penance than smite. Smite is the absolute lowest priority spell.
    That's true. But it's not like you can't get by on ~8/14 heroic encounters just spamming smite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    That's true. But it's not like you can't get by on ~8/14 heroic encounters just spamming smite.
    This is probably one the most ignorant things I've read in a while on MMOC. I guess if you're carried and 10 months into the tier this might work? Then again, people can 8 or 9 man H Garrosh trivially nowadays so...

Never change, MMOC.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't think I've ever had more penance casts than smite, I mean...smite's your filler so it get used quite a lot.