Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I built my dream system, why am I still lagging?

Recently I finished building my dream set-up, and to my dismay, I am still receiving frame lag.

My setup is as follows :
    CPU - Intel i7 4960X
    GPU - Nvidia GTX Titan Black
    Ram - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb ( 4 x 4 )
    MoBo - Asus X79 Deluxe LGA 2011
    HDD - SanDisk 120gb SDD
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    I game on my ASUS VG278HE Black 27" connected with a DVI-D cable and my secondary monitor is just a standard 24" WS connected with a regular DVI cable. Both monitors run on 1920 x 1080. VSync is always enabled. CPU and GPU temps do not get high enough for heat to be an issue.
    I use Avast as my antivirus program

I play WoW quite a bit. Doing dailies, working on factions and chieves, and even rading... And I'm usually watching a Twitch stream on my 2nd monitor, or a YouTube music video, something of that sort. If there is anything playing on my secondary monitor, the main monitor has horrible frame problems in WoW. Just moving through the world, running or flying, causes substantial decrease in performance. The screen freezes off and on, giving the impression of a lag spike. I haven't dared try it while raiding to see what that would cause.

Is this rig not powerful enough to watch a Youtube music video and game at the same time? I do have liquid cooling, and I have downloaded Cpu-z and Gpu-z to monitor performance levels and everything seems to look normal. I have downloaded, redownloaded and performed clean installs of all drivers. I built the system from scratch and it's only a few months old. These problems only occur when I put a graphics load on each monitor.

I have exhausted my resources trying to fix this problem and have come up with nothing, I am hoping the great community here at TomsHardware has some insight, and can help me resolve my issues.

Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigmo View Post
    I have exhausted my resources trying to fix this problem and have come up with nothing, I am hoping the great community here at TomsHardware has some insight, and can help me resolve my issues.

Thank you for your time.

Here at Tomshardware eh?

Deleted
    Try disabling Flash hardware acceleration in your browser.

Deleted
    Theres an option in WoW where you set the max FPS for when WoW is running in the background, try disabling it or upping it to your monitors refresh rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxtorph View Post
    Here at Tomshardware eh?
    nice catch. pretty sure this is a copy paste. 11 posts since 2011.
    Personal Rig: AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte Windforce G1-GAMING GTX 980 / 8-GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600Mhz / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 540 / NZXT Kraken x60

I humbly apologize for my mistake. I made 2 posts this morning, one at Toms and One here... I wrote the other originally, and when editing it, I must have missed that. I have been a board lurker for quite some time here, toms, and a few others. I'm putting out as many feelers as I can to try and resolve the problem.

As for the possible solutions... I have alreaedy played with the WoW FPS settings while running in the foreground and background and that does nothing.
    I will try disable the Flash hardware acceleration and see if that nets me any real results.

Once again, thank you for all the help.

10+ Year Old Account
    I humbly apologize for my mistake. I made 2 posts this morning, one at Toms and One here... I wrote the other originally, and when editing it, I must have missed that. I have been a board lurker for quite some time here, toms, and a few others. I'm putting out as many feelers as I can to try and resolve the problem.

As for the possible solutions... I have alreaedy played with the WoW FPS settings while running in the foreground and background and that does nothing.
    I will try disable the Flash hardware acceleration and see if that nets me any real results.

Once again, thank you for all the help.
    Can you fraps/record/stream what it looks like and upload it to youtube?

Very interesting. Hope you will tell us which solution you found.

Im working at a similar setup, havent gotten all the parts yet.

1. Do you run windows in 64 bit? (32 bit only support max 4 bg ram).

2. Have you checked in the bios, if any "power saving mode" is turned off?

3. Are all of your monitors 60 hz?

4. Maybe this can help:
    "I'm not sure exactly what your asking but on Windows 7 with nVidia cards you can run them as individual screens (activate all) ie. centre screen as master with a taskbar and the side screens as additional but entirely separate displays so each monitor can take a full screen window at any one time giving you the option for a full screen youtube video, a full screen game and then an internet browser.

OR

you can run them in surround (span) which is fundamentally exactly the same but the taskbar runs across all 3 and when any application enters full screen mode it will cover them all, you could still run a windowed game and two other things but if you say full screened a youtube video it would cover the other two (side) screens with black. Both modes are very useful and with recent drivers whichever mode you are in maximized windows will still snap to an individual screen when you drag them against the top as you would expect in Windows 7, never tried Windows 8 but Win 7 worked perfectly for every scenario".

It sounds to me that when you are playing stuff on the other screens, then your midle sceen (with wow) gets sluggish.. maybe the screen with wow on looses "focus" somehow, as in, its no longer the "main screen". It sounds similar to f.ex when you have two games running at window mode at the same time, as soon as you click on one game, then that game gets better performance instantly. Maybe try run wow on fullscreen, fullscreen window mode and window mode: maybe there will be a big difference. Ohwell, bedtime.
    Last edited by gamerboymmo; 2014-07-15 at 10:51 PM.

It's the hardware acceleration for flash - I had the same issue.
    Turn it off on the flash config (right click a flash element) and turn it off in the browser options as well (most likely settings>advanced)
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2014-07-15 at 11:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe its the internet provider...
    "Creating a world without Yuno would be meaningless."

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoa, you have a really weak system. You need to upgrade!
    Just kidding. Your system is a monster, I would give a lot to get my hands on something this high-end. It is definitely more than enough for the tasks you're describing, so, if hardware is OK, there is something in your software. You definitely should try the flash solution people above suggested. Then, but that is standard, make sure that all your drivers, Windows updates and such are up to date. You can try setting "Multidisplay performance" in NVidia Control Panel if it is set to "Single-display performance", although I'm not sure how effective it should be. Maybe your GPU tries to capture something, although I have no idea why it would. Finally, is your PSU enough to handle such a monstrous computer with two monitors?

By the way, what happens if you try watching Youtube video and playing WoW on a single monitor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Your system is fine. Wow is just having a old engine that is so stupid. Just be sure to set it in setting to use other ram that the one that is used for youtube.
    There should be a option in windows for doublescreen where you set how much ram each side can use max.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CasCrow View Post
    Maybe its the internet provider...
    Maybe this. You have everything listed except your network card and internet specs. You say you're streaming twitch/youtube and gaming heavily. Sounds like a bandwidth problem to me

Quote Originally Posted by gamerboymmo View Post
    Very interesting. Hope you will tell us which solution you found.

Im working at a similar setup, havent gotten all the parts yet.

1. Do you run windows in 64 bit? (32 bit only support max 4 bg ram).

2. Have you checked in the bios, if any "power saving mode" is turned off?

3. Are all of your monitors 60 hz?

Windows is 64 bit, I have changed all power saving modes to "performance", and the main monitor is set to 120hz while the second is 60hz.

However! I changed the setting in Chrome to stop Hardware Acceleration for the browser and playing last night was heavenly. Everything was flawless, questing, Shrine, Org, even the raid. No lag, no screen tearing. The problem, atleast for now, seems to be fixed! I'm not quite sure what the Hardware Accleration does, but for now, everything is running smooth. Thank you so much for all the help and insight!

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad that your problem has been resolved. Congratulations!

By the way, sorry for off-topic, but how much did you pay for this PC? I am going to buy a monstrous PC to myself soon as well, and I'm curious how much your config would cost.

Windows is 64 bit, I have changed all power saving modes to "performance", and the main monitor is set to 120hz while the second is 60hz.

However! I changed the setting in Chrome to stop Hardware Acceleration for the browser and playing last night was heavenly. Everything was flawless, questing, Shrine, Org, even the raid. No lag, no screen tearing. The problem, atleast for now, seems to be fixed! I'm not quite sure what the Hardware Accleration does, but for now, everything is running smooth. Thank you so much for all the help and insight!
    It offloads the decoding process to your GPU and knowing flash it's shit (though I'm not sure if YT and/or Twitch even use flash these days - might be an issue with Chrome). Without hardware acceleration all the work is done by your CPU which is powerful enough to handle it with no issues.
    Last edited by Thes; 2014-07-16 at 03:17 PM.

I'm just throwing this out there in case you are still under the return time frame, a 780 Ti and 4790k would perform better in gaming and save you over a thousand dollars.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    though I'm not sure if YT and/or Twitch even use flash these days
    YouTube has the option of Flash or HTML5. Twitch is flash-based.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I'm just throwing this out there in case you are still under the return time frame, a 780 Ti and 4790k would perform better in gaming and save you over a thousand dollars.
    He probably do other stuff than just playing WoW A 500-600$ build can run WoW with most details on Ultra (minus Shadow) @1080p and have decent fps in 25m raid!

Going to be "that guy" for a second here...

$2,500 dumped into CPU, MoBo, and Gpu.... on Windows Home Premium.

Yes I know you don't really "need" more if you're only doing gaming but /scratcheshead.