Thread: WoW "2"

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    My thought is, gamespot wrote a whole article over Blizzard saying they thought about it. Which is something that could be said of literally anything. Blizzard saying they've thought about it means absolutely nothing, they've talked about everything in the last 10 years.
    ^this.
    Because wowhead and MMO-C didn't even menntioned it

Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Im not an engineer either but I have a decent understanding of how it works and you cant teach an old dog to do new tricks. You can't update that old engine without tearing it all down... it's kinda like you can't build a new ground floor for a skyscraper without tearing it down first. But no, it wouldn't be that different, just better with more options.
    Well.. actually you kinda can teach an dog new tricks.. which is what Blizzard has been doing with the current engine for 10 years. The way for instance terrain works in WoD is very different from how it was in Vanilla. I'm sorry but I think you have an insufficient understanding of what you're talking about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon2K View Post
    Well.. actually you kinda can teach an dog new tricks.. which is what Blizzard has been doing with the current engine for 10 years. The way for instance terrain works in WoD is very different from how it was in Vanilla. I'm sorry but I think you have an insufficient understanding of what you're talking about.
    Not really. Instances already exist in the old engine. Even Vanilla WoW had them.. they've just expanded them to work in the world as well. Or in other words, the engine has that option, they've just implemented it in other ways than originally intended. However the old engine doesn't have collision detection at all so they can't do that.

I'm not sure how they'd execute it though... Another Draenor expansion, or even another Northrend expansion could be just too much for some people. I'd rather they played with the theory that the continents we know of today are above the equator, and that we'd explore the lower half of the world without ever actually returning to the world to the north except for instanced areas perhaps.
    Last edited by Asphyxiate9; 2014-08-17 at 02:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    I'm not sure how they'd execute it though... Another Draenor expansion, or even another Northrend expansion could be just too much for some people. I'd rather they played with the theory that the continents we know of today are above the equator, and that we'd explore the lower half of the world without ever actually returning to the world to the north except for instanced areas perhaps.
    They could just start over. Revamp the whole thing, start with orcs and humans again but take a different direction from there. Like Earth 20000 BC orcs vs neanderthals vs alien elves.

Not really. Instances already exist in the old engine. Even Vanilla WoW had them.. they've just expanded them to work in the world as well. Or in other words, the engine has that option, they've just implemented it in other ways than originally intended. However the old engine doesn't have collision detection at all so they can't do that.

... 'the way, for instance, terrain works' not the way 'instance terrain' works.

Also they could totally do collision detection.. but that'd have gameplay consequences. For instance, you would be able to stand in a doorway and keep anyone from entering.

Also, phasing is very different technology from instancing. That's another 'new trick' as you will.
    Last edited by Dragon2K; 2014-08-17 at 02:48 PM.

Deleted
    ... 'the way, for instance, terrain works' not the way 'instance terrain' works.

Also they could totally do collision detection.. but that'd have gameplay consequences. For instance, you would be able to stand in a doorway and keep anyone from entering.

Also, phasing is very different technology from instancing. That's another 'new trick' as you will.
    Ok, lets try this again. An engine or SDK is a collection of commands, right? It's like a separate programming language but with macros so you wouldnt have to write everything from scratch. You can tweak it or improve it but there are limits and if you do things that weren't originally intended, it can have very severe performance issues. So basically yea, you CAN do a lot of new things but it's much simpler and cheaper to use a new modern engine than to try fix the old antiquated one.

Ok, lets try this again. An engine or SDK is a collection of commands, right? It's like a separate programming language but with macros so you wouldnt have to write everything from scratch. You can tweak it or improve it but there are limits and if you do things that weren't originally intended, it can have very severe performance issues. So basically yea, you CAN do a lot of new things but it's much simpler and cheaper to use a new modern engine than to try fix the old antiquated one.
    Every part of an engine can be replaced with updated code. Of course this could become a complicated effort, but as it's their own engine their engineers have been working on since forever they know it inside and out. They've also already done this a number of times, with water, with terrain, with effects... A new engine would be years of work.

You seem to be operating from some kind of received internet wisdom about engines, when you really don't know too well what you're talking about. Especially concerning WoW and its engine.

Deleted
    Much rather see Warcraft IV

There is no point in making a game that is almost identical to the WoW we have now. A WoW 2 is really not needed they are already updating the character models. As time goes by more and more things will be updated. They've made some awesome looking new version of old faction/race mounts. Years ago Everquest made a EQ2 and everyone played this new WoW game instead of a 2nd EQ game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CHNurf View Post
    Much rather see Warcraft IV
    this x 100000000

Oh laawwd, please, please make this happen.
    -K

Deleted
    Every part of an engine can be replaced with updated code. Of course this could become a complicated effort, but as it's their own engine their engineers have been working on since forever they know it inside and out. They've also already done this a number of times, with water, with terrain, with effects... A new engine would be years of work.

You seem to be operating from some kind of received internet wisdom about engines, when you really don't know too well what you're talking about. Especially concerning WoW and its engine.
    Well of course it can be updated but I already gave you an appropriate analogy... it's like trying to improve an old building. You can technically do it but it's usually easier to just tear it all down and start anew. It just gets too messy, ugly, displaces the existing content, creates bugs nigh impossible to fix.. or in other words even small upgrades to an existing engine can become a development nightmare.

I don't know actually... Depends entirely what it would entail.

they admit that they were late for an expansion, how about supporting 2 mmos.....

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Last edited by KaNNis; 2014-08-17 at 03:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KaNNis View Post
    Be afraid, be very afraid.
    8 bit WoW 2? Youd have good reason to be scared..

This particular post was unreasonably too dynamic and full of unintentional events for 1 morning.

Well of course it can be updated but I already gave you an appropriate analogy... it's like trying to improve an old building. You can technically do it but it's usually easier to just tear it all down and start anew. It just gets too messy, ugly, displaces the existing content, creates bugs nigh impossible to fix.. or in other words even small upgrades to an existing engine can become a development nightmare.
    So they would only do that if they'd want to drastically, I repeat, DRASTICALLY, change the game :P
    And even then they'd probably use large chunks of existing code :P

10+ Year Old Account
    It will happen, gotta milk all them versions.

WoW 8bit, 16bit, 480p only, 640x800, 4k version, all of em!!

WoW in Black n White, callin' it now!

Last edited by Mister K; 2014-08-17 at 03:26 PM.
    -K

Deleted
    So they would only do that if they'd want to drastically, I repeat, DRASTICALLY, change the game :P
    And even then they'd probably use large chunks of existing code :P
    Nah, they'd use a bunch of old animations and models though because those aren't that dependent on engines. Oh and textures too..

if you have played newer games, you probably know how boss fights are like there. You have to actually hit the boss, dodge their weapons or tentacles coming at you etc. instead of just sitting there and chopping at their low res foot from afar. But that's not all, new engine can also give you a prettier looking world, new features like slipping down the cliff and ragdolling and exploding into gore and limbs when you hit the ground instead of playing a silly animation, going "ugh" and falling over.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    WoW in Black n White, callin' it now!
    Yeah.. WoW Noire.. private tauren detective catching gnome gangsters.