Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Game seems completely based around exploring, which sure a lot of people can find fun, but the big difference here is that it's all procedural generated areas, the developers haven't designed the look and feel for it, only the base line so it can put something together, which to me takes out the beauty of the world, cause you may (and I can more or less guarantee this will happen to at least one person) just get one rubbish looking world after another, and the truly beautiful ones will be a dim in a dozen.

You can't really judge a game until it's out so there's that, but I imagine people will get bored of this game very quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Absolutely not interested. No matter how amazing a game may be, I'll never purchase one from a developer that takes bribes from Sony or Microsoft to make it a timed or permanent exclusive.

Even more, it makes zero sense to lock out the PC version when Sony doesn't need to worry about PC gamers impeding on their potential market share.
    It's a timed PS4 release, so they get it before PC. It's still bullshit, but it will eventually come out on PC.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    As someone said before, if you explore for an hour even with some sky mods or whatnot you still have seen it all.
    Oh, I absolutely agree with the point, was just making a small correction. Can't help but marvel a bit at the numbers procedual generation gives you, even if it has its limitations.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

What the hell is even this game? Is it just exploring endlessly or what?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    for me it's day 1 pre-order. Even if there's not much gameplay Iill buy it for exploring new planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    It's a timed PS4 release, so they get it before PC. It's still bullshit, but it will eventually come out on PC.
    That's why I said "timed or permanent exclusive". :P

Really though, it is bullshit and makes zero sense, Sony is competing with Microsoft for market share, not PC gamers. I just choose not to support the developers that take bribes from MS/Sony, I know it's just a drop in the bucket, but at least I don't feel like a fool afterwards for contributing to anti-gamer practices.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm certainly looking forward to it.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

I watched like 6 different interviews and a "gameplay" trailer. I haven't actually seen any gameplay yet.

Just flying around discovering shit isn't exactly interesting for longer than a few hours.

Deleted
    The game play trailer was actual game play, they used drones from the development kit to find those worlds, until the drones found those worlds the devs never knew they existed (unbelievable but true)
    They then picked some living worlds to visit, film and make the game play trailer! I used the term living because, like our own solar system, you will find loads of Mars like planets.......show casing 5 dead planets, probably not a wise choice for a E3 or Gamescom presentation.
    They have also stated ( fingers crossed ) that having the internet filled with a road map, saying this is what you should do, here there and everywhere is the last thing they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks like it would be fun for a while. I would probably get bored after 500,000,000 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds interesting, but I can see almost all the planets being the same and the game getting boring fast.

Will be interesting to find out, hope I am proved wrong!

10+ Year Old Account
    That's nice but what's the gameplay like :s

If they manage to pull it off? Great! I'll happily invest. If the exploration is just a gimmick though it'll just end up being a novelty that wears off rather quickly. I was very excited about Terraria and Starbound but now I rarely play either as it feels like I've seen and done everything despite the 'limitless' potential.

Starbound did the whole "tons of planets to explore" thing, and that got boring fast, as they're all largely the same.

Minecraft also did the "endless areas to explore" thing, which got boring fast.

Spore did the same thing, which got boring fast.

All three of these games had other things going for it than exploration though, which kept them interesting a while longer ('while' being different amounts of time depending on the game). If No Man's Sky, as neat as it looks, only has the exploration bit (soulless, generated content), it will get boring fast, and there'll be little left to do.

I was over-hyped about SWToR and Wildstar so I am done with doing that again. I noticed what looked like some space combat shooting other starships out of the sky and you have some ammo so wondering if you can go around shooting the animals of these worlds? Like many others have said, I did not see or hear anything about an objective other than to look at the scenery which does not interest me, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Starbound did the whole "tons of planets to explore" thing, and that got boring fast, as they're all largely the same.

Minecraft also did the "endless areas to explore" thing, which got boring fast.

Spore did the same thing, which got boring fast.
    my favorite parts of starbound though, was discovering those prefab areas inserted into the randomness.

Diablo 1 (ignoring the sequels) was a great example of how procedural generation could be used as the backdrop for both pre-selected and randomized storylines and areas.

Minecraft, Starbound, etc tend to have a few 'quests' at the beginning as a tutorial, but fail to embrace that aspect of the gameplay and provide goals and objectives. Exploration is good, and for some people it may be enough... but as with timeless isle, there's also room for some structure once you've settled in and gotten bored of exploring.

When I first caught a glimpse of this game, I was really hoping for a modernized version of Star Control II. With planets to explore, space battles, alien species to discover and interact with, a ship to build and upgrade and a unique story to follow about saving the galaxy (or saving your home planet or whatever).

Sadly, it seems there's only a fraction of those things. I just don't see the appeal in making an "endless universe" that would be impossible to see every planet in your lifetime. Isn't that like totally fucking overkill? I'd rather have a game that has replay value as opposed to never ending randomly generated exploration.

Obviously that's not the point of this game (or games similar to it) but nonetheless, I will pick up the PC version on release as I think the game looks absolutely gorgeous and I'm a sucker for sci-fi space exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    That's nice but what's the gameplay like :s
    Apparently that is the gameplay. Exploring. Imo wasted potential.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    so this is just essentially a space discovery simulator?

This is pretty sweet. I watched a couple videos and was impressed by the way it works. The math involved make it unique, yet anyone who visits the place you went to - it will look the same because the math doesn't change. The variables of creatures on planets causes them to perhaps be further along the path they may have taken, but the world would look the same as you saw it. It is truly endless - I'm excited to try it out. Reminds me, oddly enough, of a 3D version of Cosmochoria ( http://cosmochoria.com/#play ) I wouldn't be surprised if you upgraded your ship, weapon, etc. and that there were things you could make, bases to set up, etc.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__