Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

My first high end set up!

So in a couple months I'm having a friend build me a new PC with these parts:

- i7 4770 3.4ghz
    - 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
    - GTX760 2GB
    - 1TB HDD
    - MSI H81M-E33 uATX Motherboard
    - 850W PSU

Essentially I'm trying to get myself upgraded from low-end to high end.
    Now I know World of Warcraft is a very particular game in regards to how well it runs even on high end rigs. And from what I can tell this build will handle more or less any game from the last few years without issues which is great for me.

Basically my question is, how should I expect this to handle WoW on ULTRA? Specifically in raids/well populated areas?
    Should I be setting my expectations for big FPS drops? More so with the new expansion coming out soon?

Thanks in advance!

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    It will run fine in raids on ultra, but you should get at least 1600mhz RAM and that PSU being 850 watts is pretty overkill. What brand is it? An 80+ certified 500-600w PSU from a decent brand would be enough.

Deleted
    fill out the sticky so we can make sure u´ll be getting the best bang for buck.

Deleted
    In a couple of months when you're close to being ready to buy and build, answer these questions in a new thread

• Budget
    • Resolution
    • Games / Settings Desired
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    • Country
    • Parts that can be reused
    • Do you need an OS?
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by Valnoressa View Post
    Basically my question is, how should I expect this to handle WoW on ULTRA? Specifically in raids/well populated areas?
    Should I be setting my expectations for big FPS drops? More so with the new expansion coming out soon?
    Thanks in advance!
    Doesn't matter how high-end you go, FPS will ALWAYS drop in WoW when you're in a situation like a raid or populated city. The new expansion should make things better than it is currently though as, afaik, other players spells are much less visible than the clusterfuck of visuals we see currently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sls8207 View Post
    that PSU being 850 watts is pretty overkill. What brand is it? An 80+ certified 500-600w PSU from a decent brand would be enough.
    Actually that depends on the video card. My video card for example requires 650 watts minimum. I got an 850 to be safe because I'm not a fan of barely meeting the requirements when it comes to PC stuff.

Anyway, that looks like a great PC, Val! Exciting isn't it?
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Actually that depends on the video card. My video card for example requires 650 watts minimum. I got an 850 to be safe because I'm not a fan of barely meeting the requirements when it comes to PC stuff.

Anyway, that looks like a great PC, Val! Exciting isn't it?
    Well this is a GTX 760 were talking about here, definitely won't need that much power.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a few months you might want to wait out the next generation of hardware, like DDR4, series 8 nVidia, Intel Broadwell/Haswell/Skylake-K (I don't even understand why you didn't mention 4790K, which is better and has the same price as the 4770K).
    I think it's a bad time to be buying anything important.
    Last edited by Vargur; 2014-08-24 at 04:27 PM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Hmm dosent seem so high end to me only thing in there better then what's in my comp is the grafics card

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    So, you have a Titan Z or a R9 295X2, neither of which is even close to what the OP is considering.

Ontopic:
    As you're looking for a build "in a few months", there certainly will be new Nvidia/AMD cards be available then, so no reason to ask for opinions right now.
    Depending on how long in a few months may be, there's a chance that intels next generation may also be available by then.

As for the system you currently suggested, it looks more like a pre-built than a self-built: the CPU (should be a i5 4690k or i7 4790k) is definitely outdated (should be a 90 at the end, a "90 k" if you want to overclock), and whence the board also isn't up to date. Thus also the memory is also clocked rather slow, and as stated above - the PSU is complete overkill. A good 80+ 500W PSU is enough to run moderate overclocking of a i7 paired with a GTX 780TI/R9 290X.