15+ Year Old Account

Wired connection on PC slower than wireless on phone?

Hey all,

I noticed this afternoon when downloading the update for the Beta WoW client, it was much slower than normal.

Normally, I'm getting anywhere from 40-44 mbps, but this afternoon, it's going no higher than like, 6.8-7 mbps. Tried the connection on my phone, wireless is having no problem and going full speed. I also tried my laptop, wireless and wired directly, and it also was fine.

I've scanned for Malware with AVG and Malwarebytes, neither of them found anything. No hardware/software changes to note of.

I've tried resetting the connection, flushing the DNS, releasing/renewing, and another cable itself. Also, of course, power cycling my equipment.

It is entirely isolated to just my PC.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Kaneiac; 2014-08-22 at 07:10 PM.

Deleted
    You mean you ran a speedtest on your phone AND on your PC or just on your phone? Because even if you have X download from your ISP doesn't mean you can download X from Blizzard servers or any other server.
    Last edited by mmoc655e3d994d; 2014-08-22 at 07:14 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I ran a speedtest on both of them.

Both through my ISP's own test and the speedtest.net one.

Wired connection on my laptop is normal (42 mbps), wired connection in my PC is 7mbps. I tried my laptop while I was creating the post, just forgot to change the title. Wish I could edit it.
    Last edited by Kaneiac; 2014-08-22 at 07:16 PM.

Deleted
    Could be your cable, try using a diffrent one or changing the LAN plug on your router.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tried both of those as well. Disabling the LAN card and checking speed settings shows all is normal. Tried a PC reboot as well.

Try booting into "Safe Mode with Networking" and run the speedtest on your PC.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Win7+ have a resource managment software built-in (just type "resource" in the searchbox), just look what's eating your bandwidth with that

10+ Year Old Account
    stop using speed test, ISPs have learned to QoS it, so it's as reliable as your ISPs "100% gaurantee" (rofl)

when diagnosing networking you need to start one network at a time, test your own link:
    ping the gateway (you can talk to your router)
    ping another device on your network (you can talk to other devices meaning the switch is working)
    ping 8.8.8.8 (layer3 connections to the internet and your router is working)
    ping google.com (dns is working)

if those are good, test throughput with a file transfer to another computer and calculate the speed

if the local throughput is bad, plug the wired connection into a different computer and transfer again, if its still slow the problem is not with your computer

also, make sure you dont have the switch plugged into itself