Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Honestly, it's was rather silly too to see how many people were acting like OP's a horrible person just for missing a taunt. Seriously, like said, you're just proving the point.
    Not sure that anyone has actually done that though, seems to be more because of the OP's attitude

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    We used to say, If the tank dies it's the healers fault. If the healer dies it's the tanks fault, If the DPS dies it's their own damn fault. And yes my mains are all DPS.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Reading tactics is great and all, but there's a huge difference between reading the tactics and seeing the fight in motion. It costs you nothing to not be a jerk, and yet so many people are jerks. If I'm tanking something and my co-tank doesn't understand the fight I don't scream at them like an asshole and I get angry at DPS/healers that scream at them like an asshole because that doesn't help, that just wastes more time. It's so much easier to explain "Hey, when I have this many stacks, taunt." and usually I'll take the 2 seconds to send a tell that says "X stacks, taunt."

All you accomplish when you scream at someone is to make them less inclined to learn and less inclined to tank for groups in the future. If you call out a tank and act like a dick because they're inexperienced you are wasting MY time, and YOUR time far more than the inexperienced tank is because then we'll have to sit around while waiting for another tank.

OP: Sorry you had a bad experience and the other tank was a jerk. :/ Some people forget that they themselves were not always pros at everything.
    Good post.

Let me start by explaining the type of person i am. I have never watched a video or guide for any fight. And i don't need it. tell me what to do and il do it. as you said panda seeing the fight in motion is worldly diffrent from those vids.

You know what bugs me i havnt really done SoO but when ToT was new i observed something wich is pure idiocy.
    ToT came life first week i had a blast got into LFR with a healer and 2 dps friends (im a prot warrior) and nobody knew a thing. absolutely nobody knew what to do. i tell you its the best experience if had in a long time.

We just went and see what happened and me and my friends where on the lookout. damage spikes, debuffs, area changes (healer sees alot in terms of damage and raid healing, hunter dps saw what changed in the enviroment. And i noticed stacks and worked on positioning)
    we had a blast comming up with tactics etc, not once did something think to get a guide and that was a good thing. i loved it. couple wipes but nobody was whining everyone was truelly exited.

so i did the first and second week. then i was too busy to raid for a week or 2 so i came back into the lfr's where people knew content and i was not knowledgable. and the enviroment had already became more toxic. I was lucky that i ran into a kind tank wich took the time to explain stuff to me. But the rest of the raid. My god.
    any positioning error or missing an add would result into instant yelling and stuff.

The longer content is out the more elitist everyone becomes. And the abuse newbe tanks get is insane. While on the other hand DPS continues to stand in fires for all eternity.

There are already so few people who enjoy tanking. And this attitude does not favor the situation.

Deleted
    I agree with this guy, honestly. If a flex raid wipes on malk because the tank taunted off at 13 instead of 12 stacks, they have bigger problems than him not using target of target (or not having debuffs showing on it for some reason).

If that's the whole story, that is...

Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    because wow players are jerks. but, like i said, it don't matter to me much. ill keep puggin those flexes and taunting whenever the fuck i feel like it.

so fucking ironic. i like this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Moggers1990 View Post
    1: Sort your UI out before you join a raid. I sure as hell won't wait for someone to create Weak Auras for a flex of all raids. (Also set other tank as Focus, you'll see his stacks).

2: Read up on bosses. Literally every guide out there will tell you what to do within the first 5 minutes. Again, i wouldn't explain tactics to people. Especially simple ones like tank stacks.

1+2 = 3

3: You're not derping around making WA's and figuring out what to do because you're already organised and know the tactics. People won't be dicks.

I'm the first to call people out on something. Wether it be a tank, DPS or Healer. It doesn't matter what role you are. If you don't come to a raid prepared then you're being boosted, and people don't like boosting. Simple as that.
    And this is why there's long ques waiting for a Tank.

Not because what you said is wrong, but because it's spot on. DPS and Healers can derp their way through, learning on the fly (provided there's enough "good" to carry them), and after a few runs have it sorted. Tanks needs to know from day 1 otherwise the whole system collapses. You might call out a bad DPS/Heal, but chances are they wont be kicked. As soon as 1 person says "bad tank is bad!" then everyone blindly agrees to kick them.

I wont tank anything outside of guild runs. Even though I know the fights, I cant be bothered being the glue that sticks a bunch of arrogant and abusive strangers together so they can get easy epics. I queue as DPS/Heals on my alts and change to custom chat tab which has everything blocked apart from /w, guild and DBM.

In an attempt to make tanking "more interesting" they've forced tanks into Raid leaders.
    Last edited by Dakara; 2014-08-24 at 11:47 PM.

Deleted
    1: Sort your UI out before you join a raid. I sure as hell won't wait for someone to create Weak Auras for a flex of all raids. (Also set other tank as Focus, you'll see his stacks).

2: Read up on bosses. Literally every guide out there will tell you what to do within the first 5 minutes. Again, i wouldn't explain tactics to people. Especially simple ones like tank stacks.

1+2 = 3

3: You're not derping around making WA's and figuring out what to do because you're already organised and know the tactics. People won't be dicks.

I'm the first to call people out on something. Wether it be a tank, DPS or Healer. It doesn't matter what role you are. If you don't come to a raid prepared then you're being boosted, and people don't like boosting. Simple as that.
    1. dont be a jerk
    2. its LFR...who cares....deal with it, its not hard to wing it. usually takes like 10secs to explain a fight for lfr, so just do it and refer to point 1.
    3. People will be dicks, as posts in this thread show. so I again refer to point 1.

People take this game too seriously.

It's not LFR. He was talking about flex. He didn't try to learn in LFR.

The reason some people run into problems is that they feel that other players should make allowances for their inexperience. If this were an LFR we were talking about, I'd agree. People should expect inexperience in LFR because it's the entry level for raiding, and the difficulty of LFR has been designed around that.
    The problem is that everyone seems to think they are too good for LFR. They queue up for Flex which isn't nearly so forgiving in terms of not knowing the encounter mechanics.

Every new raid tier, I always read the quick tanking guides before I queue up for anything, just to learn when to taunt. Most encounters don't have a 'tank wipes the raid' issue as long as you get that one thing right. You don't even have to watch a video for that, you just scroll through a guide real quick until you reach 'taunt swap at 3 stacks' or whatever the taunt mechanic is for the fight. The rest of the encounter you can practice by actually doing it, preferably in LFR before you move on to flex.

Another issue is that sometimes people will be inexperienced at an encounter and not say anything. When someone says they've never tanked a specific boss before, in my experience people are typically very understanding and will tell you what you need to know about the fight - because most people want the group to succeed.
    So if you've gone into an encounter and you haven't prepared, then you've set yourself up for failure.

People you pug with don't owe you anything. It is up to each group to decide what the expectations of the group will be. Just like you don't care if some healer needs to go AFK for 10 minutes because he hasn't eaten all day and wants to go make a sandwich, some of them don't care that you haven't done that boss before.
    You'll be much better off if you take these as learning experiences and improve from them, than you will by blaming others for your shortcomings, and focusing instead on them. You can't control them, and you can't change them. You can only control you. So spend that energy on improving you, and something may come of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I think that only happens if the person checks the leader box when they queue.
    Correct, I've been leader several times as DPS, so tanks are not automatically designated leaders in LFR.

I read, "I went into a raid unprepared with my UI messed up and got butt hurt when the rest of the raid was displeased with my lack of preparation".
    READ and be less Ignorant.

They could be so long because people come here to whine, bitch, and moan when their feelings are hurt instead of learning from their mistakes and re-queuing.

1+2 = 3

This is seriously what the WoW community has become? This comment is why nobody wants to play WoW anymore.

Deleted

1+2 = 3

That exacly
    I recently made mine paly tank(got shield from gary) but i cheat abit because before i enter in flex i do LFR with guide tank who explains me some bosses. I enter in complete random flex do mine work and ppl was hapy

Quote Originally Posted by christarp View Post
    This is seriously what the WoW community has become? This comment is why nobody wants to play WoW anymore.
    Not really. Maybe it makes people who don't know how to play and for some reason are unable to find any of the hundreds of sources of information out there not want to play. Sure join LFR with no info and no idea what you're doing that seems to be the idea behind it after all. Flex and upwards you should have prepared yourself beforehand. Or offer to pay gold for the boost you'll be receiving.

10+ Year Old Account
    People must stop treating flex as if its not proper raiding. Raiding 101. Repair first, learn your responsibility (read the dungeon journal or youtube or as the other tank if he knows how to lead, take flasks if needed, have your character set up as best you can. enchanted gemmed and reforged and then you begin raiding.

The only difference between normal and flex is less battle res and more damage/health.

iLvl means nothing. I have cleared flex 1 with one of the tanks being 480 something with no wipes at all.
    I got 14/14 flex on my blood dk on its 2nd week @ being 90 i believe he was 528ilvl.

OP - You just got a jerk for an offtank, if he knew what was going on he should have explained it to you. I learnt to tank all normal and flex while in game. I have also been on the other side and explain to the other tank in what they need to do. I just gave really detailed (over the top) explanations and we one shot the raid.

The other day I was tanking flex thok on my warrior. I was vastly under geared compared to the other tank and yet he died twice and caused 2 wipes to being eaten. He didnt know that thok had transitioned and got 1 shot. That tank left or got booted we got another one in and we didnt even say a word to each other and we downed it first try.

I really really hope that changing the name from flex to normal will change peoples perception and make people actually try in WoD..

SoO is my first time ever raid tanking other then a little of kara back in late TBC when it was truly on farm. Normal garrosh is also the very first end boss I have ever killed thanks to me using my 90 boost on a brewmaster and taking on tanking. This was also with wow's original interface. Since failing miserably with belts on my hunter I got dbm and i must say it has made tanking a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by christarp View Post
    I've tried tanking LFR before while gearing my DK. The biggest headache was dealing with the other tanks.

Any other role you can sit in the corner and put everyone on ignore and just wait for the loot...

but (while many fights can be singletanked on LFR) tanking in general requires coordinating with the other tank for how often you'll need taunts and how much hurt you can handle.

problem is... LFR is a haven for those lacking in the social graces that would allow them to pug something easy with comparable ilvl gear. Sure, there's prolly some nice ppl somewhere in there that have some legitimate reason for doing LFR but if there are, they're smart enough to not be chatting.

Quote Originally Posted by HollerTH View Post
    I love that people are defending dps being brain dead while expecting tanks to be pros at fights before they ever enter the raid. You are all also proving the OPs point... this is in fact why Tanks are rare.
    I do not think any one expects LFR/Flex tanks to be pro, but they probably do expect that they have at least read the dungeon guide.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lubricious View Post
    It's not LFR. He was talking about flex. He didn't try to learn in LFR.

The reason some people run into problems is that they feel that other players should make allowances for their inexperience. If this were an LFR we were talking about, I'd agree. People should expect inexperience in LFR because it's the entry level for raiding, and the difficulty of LFR has been designed around that.
    The problem is that everyone seems to think they are too good for LFR. They queue up for Flex which isn't nearly so forgiving in terms of not knowing the encounter mechanics.

Every new raid tier, I always read the quick tanking guides before I queue up for anything, just to learn when to taunt. Most encounters don't have a 'tank wipes the raid' issue as long as you get that one thing right. You don't even have to watch a video for that, you just scroll through a guide real quick until you reach 'taunt swap at 3 stacks' or whatever the taunt mechanic is for the fight. The rest of the encounter you can practice by actually doing it, preferably in LFR before you move on to flex.

Another issue is that sometimes people will be inexperienced at an encounter and not say anything. When someone says they've never tanked a specific boss before, in my experience people are typically very understanding and will tell you what you need to know about the fight - because most people want the group to succeed.
    So if you've gone into an encounter and you haven't prepared, then you've set yourself up for failure.

People you pug with don't owe you anything. It is up to each group to decide what the expectations of the group will be. Just like you don't care if some healer needs to go AFK for 10 minutes because he hasn't eaten all day and wants to go make a sandwich, some of them don't care that you haven't done that boss before.
    You'll be much better off if you take these as learning experiences and improve from them, than you will by blaming others for your shortcomings, and focusing instead on them. You can't control them, and you can't change them. You can only control you. So spend that energy on improving you, and something may come of it.

everyone is too good for LFR. if you can turn on a computer by yourself than you are too smart to queue for LFR. thats why they think this way. the fact of the matter is i did do an LFR first to get a feel for tanking. i learned absolutely nothing about tanking. i sat there and mashed mangle for 45 minutes - never lost threat, never took damage. LFR isn't an introduction to raiding - FLEX is an introduction to raiding. there is no actual gameplay in LFR so its a big fat fuckin waste of time for anyone trying to, well, play the game.
    Last edited by crunk; 2014-08-25 at 05:13 PM.

I do totaly agree with you. I've tanked in this game since BC (pally then DK since wrath) but I've stoped to play a tank in every single MMO that I play in MoP after a throne of thunder LFR.

I just couldn't stand the crying and /vote kick anymore. Getting kicked because I failed once wasn't so bad. But the constant whine on any whipe no mather if its the healer fault or DPS (and IMO 90% of whipe are due to stupid DPS too busy watching T.V. to kill the adds or to navigate trough the maze in durumu).

For real stupid DPSer un-gemmed,un-enchanted and sometimes not even glyphed parsing below the drisc priest are the reason many players stoped to queue as tank in LFR.

So many noob have no clue about fights and blame the tank for their own failure. Especialy in SoO, LFR tank have a simple job. But the DPS are too busy watching their DPS meter to play the fight emchanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's up to the player to come prepared. When tanks do not come prepared, they get kicked. Read online boss guides prior to joining a raid. They will tell you how many stacks and what mechanics to look for as a tank. Additionally, these boss strategy guides typically come with tips for healers and DPS as well. It's unfortunate that you were unaware that the majority of the community have little patience for situations like this…

But, it is very very late in the tier so people will assume you know what to do and when you don't; you'll be insulted for it. Keep in mind that I've been in many groups where healers and DPS have been removed as well as a result of not properly doing mechanics or failing at mechanics many times over.
    In the company of thieves, liars, beggars and whores
    I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come.