Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Mage] What professions will you use in wod?

I am currently tailoring/engineering. However with the changes to engineering and there not being epic goggles to craft I will most likely drop it. I will most likely be tailoring/jewel-crafting for the epic cloaks, rings, and necks. For my third profession (thanks to garrisons) I think I will pick up either inscription or bs to make weapons.

What are some of your opinions?

Deleted
    Tailoring Alchemy

10+ Year Old Account
    No plans to change, keeping with Enchanting and Engineering for the time being.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Alchemy/Herbalism as usual for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scribe/Herb for me.

Quote Originally Posted by resshin View Post
    However with the changes to engineering and there not being epic goggles to craft
    There will be epic goggles, you make ilvl640 ones then upgrade them to ilvl 665.

http://wod.wowhead.com/spell=162197 - ilvl640
    http://wod.wowhead.com/spell=169076 - Upgrade to 655
    http://wod.wowhead.com/spell=169077 - upgrade to 665

Well I'll be damned. I guess I will stay with Tailoring/engineering. As far as my third professions... I will most likely do jewel-crafting for the necks/rings. I then will level up an alt for inscription for the staff.

Engineering no doubt, it's the only profession that actually looks like 'fun', besides being very useful. Either tailoring or alchemy for my other one. I'm leaning towards tailoring because I don't have one and crafting your gear looks like it's going to be actually useful now.

Engineering is pretty much my only plan atm. It's maxed and I like it.

My second is BS atm, will probably swap to mining or tailoring... or alchemy. Garrison will have enchanting for sure, and I'm not fully sure what else.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    I practiced writing with a quill and ink a few weeks ago but I'm definitely keeping Herbalism and Inscription. As for the Garrison thing, I have no idea. Most likely Enchanting because I don't have enchanting maxed on any characters + it's really useful.
    My magic will tear you apart.

Deleted
    OK, how does this garrison profession work?

From what's written in this thread I get the gist that via garrisons you can basically get an "extra" profession. Will it be just like if I had it on my actual char? A link with the info will work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jimme View Post
    OK, how does this garrison profession work?

From what's written in this thread I get the gist that via garrisons you can basically get an "extra" profession. Will it be just like if I had it on my actual char? A link with the info will work as well.
    When your Garrison is Level 3, you get 3 small plots. Small plots can turn into any of the following:

• Storehouse: Lets you access your bank, transmog, void storage, and a +2 maximum to all work orders (allowing you to have more work orders going simultaneously).
    • Salvage Yard: Allows you to collect salvage from follower missions that you can turn in here to get some vendor items and some neat stuff (I once got a crate with a follower item, a 50g vendor item, and a lot of materials. It's usually vendor junk though). At level 2, you can get follow items and upgrades and at level 3, you can get actual equipment for yourself (though I don't know how good these items can be)
    • Profession Plot: And these are the ones you're asking about. With the exception of Skinning, Mining, and Herbalism, you can pick 1-3 of these buildings and can craft that profession's items as well as put work orders in for specific pieces (e.g., you can use some materials to get profession-related materials, like ore nets you dust at the Enchanting plot). Not everything is fully known about the plots, and you don't necessarily get all the benefits you would out of a fully fleshed out profession. An example of this is Tailoring, as it may or may not be giving players the bonus cloth from mobs if you only have it as a plot and not as a profession. Enchanting however does allow you to DE items (though from the pedestal at your garrison; it's currently unknown if you can DE items that are being rolled on).

Also, the reason I listed out the Storehouse and Salvage Yard is because they have a direct impact on your profession plots. Yes, you can have 3 profession small plots, but you won't have access to the Storehouse or Salvage Yard (and IMO, the Salvage Yard is pretty worth it. Storehouse, not so much as a Mage).
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Mining and Engineering. PVP mage without engineering is like a shaman without totems.

Would love to swap mining for engi for all the fun gadgets, the ones useful for combat will be usable by anyone in WoD though. But don't have an alt on that server so sticking with BS/mining
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Going to stick with the same professions Ive had since vanilla, Engineering and Enchanting.

While it is useful, I'm not very partial to enchanting, and would have liked to of made a better choice at the beginning (like Alchemy, or JC later on). But I'm not willing to throw away all of the rare/farmed formulas that the collectionist/completionist in me got over the years during each expansion.

I'm not a farmer these days, never was when it comes to crafting mats, so i have no use for gathering professions.

Ive been trying to limit my exposure to the fine details of WoD so i can experience it when its live, so i didnt know that about the profession plots for garrisons. Will all "plans" be available from lvl 1? For example, if i want to craft an alchemy stone/trinket from BC, can i do that with the alchemy profession plot?
    Last edited by nukie; 2014-09-05 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Would love to swap mining for engi for all the fun gadgets, the ones useful for combat will be usable by anyone in WoD though. But don't have an alt on that server so sticking with BS/mining
    It's still unknown what exactly you don't get from Engineering as a profession plot. My guess is the tinkers. Speaking of which, all tinkers are now attached to the belt. No more glove tinkers (with the exception of Flexweave Underlay/Goblin Glider, which is still a Cloak tinker). But yeah, many items did lose their Engineering requirement.

Also, there's currently a Q/A over on twitch (http://www.twitch.tv/wow). They're also talking about Garrisons right now and I'm asking them about profession questions for garrisons. I'm writing up a summary of stuff and will post if anything interesting is said.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-09-05 at 05:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhomeli View Post
    Alchemy/Herbalism as usual for me.
    Yep as always it is the most reliable money maker. Put about 6-8 hours a week make about 7-10k gold. If it's not flask, it's transmutation or pots. There's always money in Alch/Herb.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Tailoring/Enchanting because I'm too goddamn lazy to level something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kektonic View Post
    Tailoring/Enchanting because I'm too goddamn lazy to level something else.
    At least you picked good professions to get lazy on! XD

Sadly, I have to swap out Blacksmithing for something else.

Bloodsail Admiral melkesjokolade's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Engineering as always. Not sure of second. Could be anything really.