10+ Year Old Account

Question What if there were new classes with one spec each?

For future classes,does each class really need 3 specs?

Would it be easier to balance a class that was pure in whatever role it was designed for?

The Tinker's a Tank, Demon Hunter DPS, Bard Healer, etc.

Maybe new classes could be introduced more than one at a time if specs were pruned back.

All old classes would stay the same, this is an idea for future class options.

I understand the opinions that there don't need to be more classes and races, but I'd like some of your opinions on this particular subject.
    You guys always come up with some good ideas and concepts to think about.
    Last edited by Bosen; 2014-09-09 at 12:57 AM.

Are you saying that this would be applied to all classes or only new ones?

Because druids wouldn't exist with one spec.

Deleted
    Play an FPS game. It's simple enough for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Just no. Terrible idea for many many reasons. Removes variety, kills the playstyles for a large number of people, un-does YEARS of design, ect.

Take a good look at your idea and realize that posting when you aren't in the best state of mind is not a smart thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Well, that would kind of be going in the opposite direction from the original Death knight design, where all specs were viable as tank or dps depending how you tweaked them.

Frankly, all of the current specs already are like an individual class with one spec. There may be overlaps, but Shadow priests are different from Disc or Holy, for example. I don't think any class uses all the same spells in any spec, most spells are replaced or just not available. And then you have monks, who use different resources in different specs.

So, I don't know that single-class specs would help. A Tinker tank would need to be balanced against other tanks still.

Sure, they could do that. They'd be the least played class of all time, but they could do that.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

I think the current three spec is fine, though it does suck sometimes when you have a monk that you want to tank heal and dps on, but adding future classes with one spec for a defined roll would be cool if they were niche themselves. Like for example a twilight cultist who is a berserker tank, or a bard whos a healer or necromancer pet based dps or something. Something thats more of a longer type story wise and not part of some big guild like thing such as paladins or priests.
    Not the best examples off the top of my head, but one spec flavour heavy classes could be fun. Hell maybe something like tinker thats designed purely for pvp?

I think it's possible and it's a concept that gets brought up from time to time on these forums. The addition of a 4th spec sounds like an excellent expansion addition that isn't a new race or a new class, and it would give Blizzard a chance to visit some interesting possible gameplay styles. I made a thread about it a while ago, with some fancy pictures and descriptions.

But honestly, I can't expect Blizzard to be able to manage to balance an additional 10 specs.
    You just lost The Game

Deleted
    Unless they were increasing the character limit drastically then this would make people pretty angry. Nothing more frustrating than having to delete a char, or roll on a different server or faction, just so you can play a new class, and increasing character limit seems to be something they struggle with. I also feel people are going to get pretty frustrated levelling a char to max level and then it having essentially 1/3rd of the playability of other chars - that class will probably be pretty unpopular unless it's actually stronger than other classes.

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticViolence View Post
    Does each class really need 3 specs?

Would it be easier to balance a class that was pure in whatever role it was designed for?

The Tinker's a Tank, Demon Hunter DPS, Bard Healer, etc.

Maybe new classes could be introduced more than one at a time if specs were pruned back.

I understand the opinions that there don't need to be more classes and races, but I'd like some of your opinions on this particular subject.
    You guys always come up with some good ideas and concepts to think about.

We dont need that at all

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Take a good look at your idea and realize that posting when you aren't in the best state of mind is not a smart thing to do.

I expected venomous posts like these, and that is why I put in the last part of my original post. This is just a discussion of an idea, and seeing as there are several people that frequent this website that are actually open to discussions and are quite intelligent, my hopes were for a discussion of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Are you saying that this would be applied to all classes or only new ones?

Because druids wouldn't exist with one spec.
    I mean for 3 new classes or more.
    Last edited by Bosen; 2014-09-09 at 12:28 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    It won't ever happen, because they would be seen as being inferior to the existing classes.

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Even some FPSs have 'specs' if you count the class system in battlefield and planetside and tribes.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    It won't ever happen, because they would be seen as being inferior to the existing classes.
    The proof would be in the gameplay.

single spec classes seem kind of a waste. why bother making a one trick pony. As to the one role classes existing currently? they had other roles once that got 'polished' right out of teh game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticViolence View Post
    The proof would be in the gameplay.
    the proof is in the forums... down's knights and Huntards still are some fun insults tossed around at times.

10+ Year Old Account
    God no, imagine what will happen if the current classes only have one spec let alone new classes. I'd be pretty piss if pallies only comes in holy.
    Nobody likes you, everyone left you, they're all out without you havin fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shogunit3 View Post
    God no, imagine what will happen if the current classes only have one spec let alone new classes. I'd be pretty piss if pallies only comes in holy.
    As stated earlier, the current classes wouldn't be changed. I suppose I'll have to edit the original post.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shogunit3 View Post
    One-spec classes were what we had to deal with in vanilla. Each class generally only had one viable spec. Warriors had to tank, priests, paladins, shamans, and druids had to heal. Well, paladins were mainly buff bots, but when they weren't chain casting 5 minute blessings on 40 people they were expected to heal. Sometimes they were asked to just stay out of combat so they could res people.

Definitely don't want to see those days return.