Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have run through this game so many times I finally got bored with it...for now. I beat Enemy Within on Impossible Ironman THE DAY IT RELEASED. Kind of depressing.

Currently playing Xenonauts. More like oldschool X-COM. Whereas none of my squaddies in XCOM EU/EW ever died, in Xeno, I think I get replacements after every landing lol. And FUCK alien bases OMG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I have run through this game so many times I finally got bored with it...for now. I beat Enemy Within on Impossible Ironman THE DAY IT RELEASED. Kind of depressing.

Currently playing Xenonauts. More like oldschool X-COM. Whereas none of my squaddies in XCOM EU/EW ever died, in Xeno, I think I get replacements after every landing lol. And FUCK alien bases OMG.
    Reaaaaaaally? No one ever died?

Because there was a news article about a guy who did an EW i/i "perfect" run with no deaths or country dropouts, like, it was actually newsworthy.

Did you REAAAALLLLLY do it with no deaths?

Deleted
    Started XCOM again as well, with EWX and the Long War (even if it does remove the shooting of squad members in panic), and so far it's pretty cool. Last I played it, I did so with vanilla XCOM, no Enemy Within, no Elite Soldier, no nothing.

I like the new class system, although so far, it's still an Assault-Sniper show all the way. Snipers are so versatile now with the snap shot rifles, although I do love my across-the-map squadsight shots, so I'm running with normal sniper rifles. Assaults aren't quite as good in the beginning due to not having LR until very late, but Run And Gun is just awesome; a few assaults sprinting to a tough hiding alien and blasting it to bits with shotguns.

I still don't like the interception system. I think it's complete bollocks compared to UFO. Or, I might be doing something wrong. Sending a single interceptor at a time sucks so bad, and having your entire fleet of interceptors being repaired constantly even after the smallest UFOs is just horrible. Cinematic mode does help a bit, and I'm using it anyway, since even my soldiers seem to miss 90% of the time even when the hit percentages are well above 50%.

Gotta try a full playthrough with my current settings, then make things a bit harder and perhaps start an ironman as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Started XCOM again as well, with EWX and the Long War (even if it does remove the shooting of squad members in panic), and so far it's pretty cool. Last I played it, I did so with vanilla XCOM, no Enemy Within, no Elite Soldier, no nothing.

I like the new class system, although so far, it's still an Assault-Sniper show all the way. Snipers are so versatile now with the snap shot rifles, although I do love my across-the-map squadsight shots, so I'm running with normal sniper rifles. Assaults aren't quite as good in the beginning due to not having LR until very late, but Run And Gun is just awesome; a few assaults sprinting to a tough hiding alien and blasting it to bits with shotguns.

I still don't like the interception system. I think it's complete bollocks compared to UFO. Or, I might be doing something wrong. Sending a single interceptor at a time sucks so bad, and having your entire fleet of interceptors being repaired constantly even after the smallest UFOs is just horrible. Cinematic mode does help a bit, and I'm using it anyway, since even my soldiers seem to miss 90% of the time even when the hit percentages are well above 50%.

Gotta try a full playthrough with my current settings, then make things a bit harder and perhaps start an ironman as well.
    Yeah the interception system is a bit meh. Assaults and snipers really are way too good. Especially in EW, though mecs are also now like, way too good too. I feel like supports just don't bring enough to the table. Yes, smoke nades and medkits etc are important, and medkits can be the difference between winning a mission with no deaths, and winning it with 2 deaths which is quite a big deal, and smoke nades obviously really helpful in a pinch, particularly early on. But by lategame, with memetic skin and all the other gene mods, and the prevalence of things like psionic aliens that ignore smoke, or aliens who will just nade you if you smoke up they end up not particularly useful. Like, usually you wouldn't need to have a support to medkit you up if you replaced the support with another sniper. Similarly with heavies, they are like monstermode early on when rockets will oneshot virtually anything and you can wreck cover etc, but since you don't get a rocket upgrade till basically endgame, towards the end of the game when rockets just aren't killing things in one hit (and often, particularly with heavy lasers and heavy plasma it can be better to take 2 bulletswarm shots than one rocket unless you are horribly outnumbered), and when you get lasers and plasma, cover just breaks and crumbles pretty easilly, and people are generally more accurate so there isn't as much need for rockets to break it in the first place. Couple that with the big threats tend to move from big packs of mutons or sectoids to things like sectopods, cyberdisks, ethereals etc... It's just not worth bringing heavies for the sake of one rocket, though they're sitll better than supports. I mean, at least mecs are like... flamethrowers, proximity mines, pure tanking ability, long range grenades... these things all have like lots and lots of uses, and blow things up in a smaller radius so you can destroy the cover you want to destroy if you do want to destroy it, without worrying about wrecking all cover for your own guys when you advance yourself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post

Sorry you've not had much action, you've been in sick bay since your first mission, but... At least you're canadian and white everything!
    Love it!

That`s the same haircut as my MVP support from my last playthrough too - had an Aussie support chick with a bright purple haircut like that, that would always crit - so she just ran around murdering everything while the rest of my squad tried to keep up with her

Re: Supports in EW being kind of meh - I always play with "Always Critical" enabled - so Sprinter is often better than Run And Gun just because they can get behind enemies every single turn - which really eliminates the benefit of a lot of the Assault talents that boost critical chance.

In EU Snipers were definitely way too good, but in EW so much emphasis is on movement (for Meld, and all the council missions are races pretty much) that I found Snipers were useless unless they had Snapshot and could keep up with everyone - I ended up using all my Squadsight snipers as Covert Operatives, since the pistol range in EW feels longer - so they just become Pistol snipers
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2014-09-10 at 11:11 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Reaaaaaaally? No one ever died?

Because there was a news article about a guy who did an EW i/i "perfect" run with no deaths or country dropouts, like, it was actually newsworthy.

Did you REAAAALLLLLY do it with no deaths?
    How can you even ask?
    It's the internet.. everyone does the impossible at least twice a day
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    If you need fresh meat for your squad Kerd "The Bear" Oz is reporting for duty.

15+ Year Old Account
    Uh, I guess you can use my name. Same as over <--- that way.

I don't care what you do beyond that.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

XD use me if you need cannon fodder.

I love naming my squads after mates. Luckily my wall of fame has only a couple of names on there. Many close calls though (fucking sectopods)

15+ Year Old Account
    you can use me

uhm, bright colours, stupid looking, the guy that you want around but always messes shit terribly up probably killing everyone by the end of the day

that´s pretty much my bc-raid profile
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.