Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Living in another time period

If you were given the option to live in another time period, which one would you prefer, and where? Suppose you have good health and wealth. I find fascination in certain time periods, specifically Late Medieval Ages, the Renaissance, and until the end of the 19th century. Europe, in general. There is a certain mystery and wonder attached to those periods; adventurous, to put it lightly. It interests me.

Your preferences?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    Your preferences?

I wish every day that I was born into the 16th century Ottoman empire under Suleiman the Magnificent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    I wish every day that I was born into the 16th century Ottoman empire under Suleiman the Magnificent.
    Any particular region, and why?

There wouldn't be any Internet in the past. You'd have to talk to people. Deodorant wouldn't be invented.

Right now is fine by me.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The time period directly preceding the downfall of humanity (the future). Would be interesting to see how far we make it before it all comes toppling down. Dunno if I'd bother with the past, I mean sure there's a lot of interesting stuff that happened but it doesn't make up for the technological and social advancements that make life in the present day what it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    Any particular region, and why?
    I think probably western Anatolia, seeing how most of the other regions were not developed as much at that point, and were mostly just agricultural heartlands mixed with Ottoman garrisons. As for why, that's a bit more complicated, but I guess it's primarily because it would lead to a very fulfilling life to know that you contributed to such a stunningly-majestic empire that made the world an infinitely better place.

Deleted
    The recent discovery of that new 60 ton dinosaur got me thinking I'd love to visit a time period when Dinosaurs still lived. It would all look so different, might as well be an alien planet heh.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Do our options include the future?

If not, then . . . wow, I don't know. Hmmmmm, I'm always fascinated with the future. I think it would great to be a time traveling tourist, however. Go and visit "great" times in the world's history.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
    There wouldn't be any Internet in the past. You'd have to talk to people.
    There were plenty things one could do without talking to people; at least, many people. The Internet takes the necessity to a much lower level, however.

Deleted
    ... As long as it has decent Internet.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll say mid-late 18th century Boston. I've always enjoyed learning about colonial life and not to mention the history regarding that great city during that time.

Any time between 1800-1914 would probably suit me quite nicely. Things went quickly downhill following WW1/WW2. That said, it is pointless to long for the past; as it cannot be recreated. It is perfectly reasonable to say that, whilst not wanting the past back, we have certainly chosen the wrong future in some regards.
    Last edited by Austilias; 2014-09-04 at 11:50 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    The time period directly preceding the downfall of humanity (the future). Would be interesting to see how far we make it before it all comes toppling down. Dunno if I'd bother with the past, I mean sure there's a lot of interesting stuff that happened but it doesn't make up for the technological and social advancements that make life in the present day what it is.
    In general, lives today are much better in every part of the world, and in nearly all aspects. Your own life, however, is presumed to be good at the starting point, where wealth and health would be good.

1980s or so. I'll become rank 1 programming/computer guy. I'm not good enough to be Bill Gates level, but I'd have pro knowledge no one else would.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to live in the 80's/90's again. Today sucks.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Do our options include the future?

If not, then . . . wow, I don't know. Hmmmmm, I'm always fascinated with the future. I think it would great to be a time traveling tourist, however. Go and visit "great" times in the world's history.
    The future is highly uncertain, thus I prefer focus being put on past time periods.

Deleted
    25th century. Not too distant so people probably wont be completely alien and I can still blend in. Otherwise if I had to pick and couldn't pick the future or the present, probably very distant past like the stone age. I could become their goddess then by dazzling them with cheap parlor tricks:P Then give them advanced technology and start my own civilization. If all goes well, I could even save the neanderthals from going extinct, rename them orcs and give them their own country.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'd like to live in the 80's/90's again. Today sucks.
    That's a good pick. I myself was born in early 90's, and I tend to get a touch of nostalgia when experiencing something from those periods, such as music or movies. Very similar to how we live our lives today, without the rush and mass socialization and media.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    As for why, that's a bit more complicated, but I guess it's primarily because it would lead to a very fulfilling life to know that you contributed to such a stunningly-majestic empire that made the world an infinitely better place.
    Balkans isn't part of the world?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Balkans isn't part of the world?
    The Ottomans brought civilization, progress, and order to the Balkans and Greece.