Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    And that's fine for you, but a lot of service members take their oath very seriously.
    When God himself comes down to give the orders then maybe more would change their mind.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxvriin View Post
    Who'd trust a person who was willing to betray who they are to get ahead though?

We do it every four years in the usa.
    You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxvriin View Post
    Who'd trust a person who was willing to betray who they are to get ahead though?
    Good point. Guess I'll never trust an atheist again.

Let's see they want me to swear to an "imaginary" figure as if this will make me fulfill and carry out my job any better. This oath is so outdated and is unnecessary. If they want to keep the oath for tradition, then who cares if somebody does not say it out loud. Drop the "swear to god" and just insert "I like peanut butter and jelly", whatever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Let's keep in mind what they're asking here.

They are forcing a person to swear to their God, or any God, they are forcing a person to adopt some "religious" entity in order to do a fucking government job. They are violating the damn constitution, freedom of religion and frees speech should matter. You shouldn't be forced to adopt a momentary God in order to get a fucking government job.
    Yes, it is ridiculous but the dude is really screwing his career, even if he gets in. By momentary god you mean the second it takes to say "so help me god"

Dunno why they don't just update the oath, thing was written in a very different time, would make sense to update it to todays ways.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinnobi View Post
    Good point. Guess I'll never trust an atheist again.
    I don't think you can trust anyone ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    The hell if I know.
    May god help us.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    When God himself comes down to give the orders then maybe more would change their mind.
    You mean you were never "Touched" by god in church?

Strange.

Granted it was in a dark room, and it smelt of beer, but that's how my divine moment came.

If it were me I would compromise and say the oath but swear to something I DO believe in rather than a deity I don't believe in. It doesn't have to be deity. Swear to the Earth... that's something you should value and believe in (considering its under your feet and the only planet we know of for sure so far that can support human life). heck swear to science, or anything that holds deep personal value to you that swearing an oath upon would carry weight.

It's dumb to ask someone to swear to a god they don't believe in. An oath like that has no weight and no meaning at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post

Strange.

Granted it was in a dark room, and it smelt of beer, but that's how my divine moment came.
    I'm sure the preacher did too...

10+ Year Old Account
    As an atheist myself I couldn't care less if someone wanted me to swear to God. I would do it without hesitation. I can understand that people of other faiths wouldn't want to say the words, but why should an atheist care about being forced to swear to God?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post

Strange.

That's quite a poetic way of putting it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    Dunno why they don't just update the oath, thing was written in a very different time, would make sense to update it to todays ways.
    They USED to be able to omit the phrase, but in 2013, they not longer allowed it to be optional.

I wouldn't want to say it either. Its not about changing an oath, but what's the point of saying something if you're not gonna mean it?

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    As an atheist myself I couldn't care less if someone wanted me to swear to God. I would do it without hesitation. I can understand that people of other faiths wouldn't want to say the words, but why should an atheist care about being forced to swear to God?
    Because then the whole oath is a lie. An oath is (well, was at least) something to take very seriously, not just something you do willy nilly. If you lie IN the oath, it loses all value and you shouldn't be taking it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    They USED to be able to omit the phrase, but in 2013, they not longer allowed it to be optional.
    I'm not clued up on American policy, thanks for the info! I wonder why they changed it, seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    I'm not clued up on American policy, thanks for the info! I wonder why they changed it, seems odd.
    Yeah, I was going to post the bit about God being voluntary but I wasn't sure if my memory was correct.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcon View Post
    I don't believe in a "god" and I swear to the guy all the time. I even call out his so-called sons name on numerous occasions.
    "I swear to god!"
    "Thank god!"
    "God dammit!"
    "Jesus Christ!"/"Jesus H* Christ!"/"Jesus Fucking Christ!"

Just a few of the phrases I use as expletives, and I'm a Jewish Atheist (yes, we exist).

* Why do we say this btw? Since when was it known that Jesus's middle name starts with an H? What exactly DOES the H stand for, anyways?
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    It does not matter if you are bothered by it.

Lets take the opposite role of it, if it said "I believe in my country and no god." That would be okay, because religious people believe and should not be worried if they say it because they truly know a god(s) exist, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    If it were me I would compromise and say the oath but swear to something I DO believe in rather than a deity I don't believe in. It doesn't have to be deity. Swear to the Earth... that's something you should value and believe in (considering its under your feet and the only planet we know of for sure so far that can support human life). heck swear to science, or anything that holds deep personal value to you that swearing an oath upon would carry weight.
    Well, you could you know...swear on your country....
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    "I swear to god!"
    "Thank god!"
    "God dammit!"
    "Jesus Christ!"/"Jesus H* Christ!"/"Jesus Fucking Christ!"

Just a few of the phrases I use as expletives, and I'm a Jewish Atheist (yes, we exist).

* Why do we say this btw? Since when was it known that Jesus's middle name starts with an H? What exactly DOES the H stand for, anyways?
    Holy? lol I dunno actually but I have used Jesus Holy Christ before and others do too.