Page 1 of 66
... LastLast

Atheist must swear to God - or leave US Air Force.

Washington (AFP) - The US Air Force has told a sergeant he will have to leave the military unless he agrees to take an oath with the phrase "so help me God," officials said Tuesday.

In the latest religious controversy to roil the air force, the atheist airman last month was denied his request to re-enlist because of his refusal to swear to God -- and he is now poised to take the military to court, his lawyer said.

http://news.yahoo.com/atheist-must-s...232153866.html

This is ridiculous on both sides, more so on the sergeant. Just say the damn words. The Air Force isn't going to, and shouldn't have to, change a historic oath just because it makes you uncomfortable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe in a "god" and I swear to the guy all the time. I even call out his so-called sons name on numerous occasions.

Deleted
    He is an idiot, just say the damn words and collect that pension.

Deleted
    If i wanted to be in the air force, i'd just say the words.

Deleted
    Big deal. Just say the words and get it over with. Feel's pretty out-dated to swear to god in the army or whatever though.

While it seems like a petty and stupid thing to go to battle over, let's be clear that the Air Force is unequivocally, indisputably in the wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    While it seems like a petty and stupid thing to go to battle over, let's be clear that the Air Force is unequivocally, indisputably in the wrong.
    Come on now, changing an oath that has existed for a long time probably takes a shitload of bureaucracy and paperwork. I'm sure there were tons of atheists beforehand that just said the words and thought nothing of it. It's protocol that he has to take the specific oath, it's not some religious battle. I'm sure they're just as peeved as he is.

"Dude, just say it... Please don't make a big deal out of this."

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    110% agreed

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Washington (AFP) - The US Air Force has told a sergeant he will have to leave the military unless he agrees to take an oath with the phrase "so help me God," officials said Tuesday.

In the latest religious controversy to roil the air force, the atheist airman last month was denied his request to re-enlist because of his refusal to swear to God -- and he is now poised to take the military to court, his lawyer said.

http://news.yahoo.com/atheist-must-s...232153866.html

This is ridiculous on both sides, more so on the sergeant. Just say the damn words. The Air Force isn't going to, and shouldn't have to, change a historic oath just because it makes you uncomfortable.
    Look at it this way. How much value does the air force place in the sanctity of that oath if they're trying to force someone to swear by something they know they don't believe in?

Deleted
    More so on the twats higher up, they changed prior policy that was the best of both worlds and are now contradicting your constitution as stated in the article.

I have a feeling someone, somewhere, may be trying to get this in front of congress for whatever reason.

The requirement violates the US Constitution, which bars religious tests to hold office or other positions, Miller said of the case, which was first reported by the Air Force Times.
    In the past, an airman could opt for an alternative phrase and omit the words "so help me God," but the US Air Force changed its policy in October 2013.
    That said, i'd go along and say the words, out of all the things to fight for this is the last i'd do on my list.

I hope he gets a healthy settlement.
    Call me Cassandra

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Why is it you seem to lose your good rational senses when there's a discussion concerning the military?

someone is going to get court marshaled over this, he IS NOT required to say the " So help me god " part, I know this first hand, this is a case of harassment based on his beliefs.

Come on now, changing an oath that has existed for a long time probably takes a shitload of bureaucracy and paperwork. I'm sure there were tons of atheists beforehand that just said the words and thought nothing of it. It's protocol that he has to take the specific oath, it's not some religious battle. I'm sure they're just as peeved as he is.

"Dude, just say it... Please don't make a big deal out of this."
    We added in under god to our pledge rather quickly... like what the hell..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Why is it you seem to lose your good rational senses when there's a discussion concerning the military?
    Or flamboyant gays, those are the two topics.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it, he's basically getting a chance to say an oath that will effectively have no binding hold over him (being an atheist).

15+ Year Old Account
    Lets be clear here, most of our oaths and such are very outdated, why not update them? They are as living as the Constitution, them just being old and a 'tradition' is just bullshit.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Seriously. It's not like you're giving up all your values by saying "under god" or something along those lines.

This thread is a honeypot for frustrated, atheist web denizens. I'm literally cooking a bag of popcorn right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    More so on the twats higher up, they changed prior policy that was the best of both worlds and are now contradicting your constitution as stated in the article.

I have a feeling someone, somewhere, may be trying to get this in front of congress for whatever reason.

That said, i'd go along and say the words, out of all the things to fight for this is the last i'd do on my list.
    The command structure in the Air Force has a heavy fundamentalist streak in it.

How is the sergeant being ridiculous? Why is "god" even in the oath? It goes against separation of church and state. And "tradition" is not an argument...The sergeant should not be forced to say it to join a government agency, it's just absurd.