Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Afgan wars showed that Russia did not have the resources to sustain a long lasting conflict with a powerful nation let alone the only Superpower the US. Even with their Nukes they wouldn't have stood a chance against the U.S. in a conventional war.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Seems to have worked in Japan as well....
    And South Korea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Depends on the type of war.

If it was defensive they would have easily won. They had sheer numbers, territory, and the tradition of being avid defenders of their home land.

If it was offensive they would have been in trouble. Mostly because the Soviet logistic chain was really bad. In fact it is what hurts Russia even today. They have trouble projecting there power much of a distance from there own boarder. The United States has bases all over the world and the largest, most advanced, and most experienced Navy in the world. This makes it much easier for the United States to intercept any attacks and supply troops and material much further from the home land.
    For the attacker it would depend on the amount of surprise and the military goals.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about a conventional war with modern up-to-date equipment? What would it take to beat the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Minnesota is colder than western Russia.

In fact Minneapolis' winter is on par with Moscow's.
    that only makes any sence if all your army is in Minneapolis but they arent. Logic....

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    that only makes any sence if all your army is in Minneapolis but they arent. Logic....
    Because our army is completely unprepared for winters that our nation has?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Seems to have worked in Japan as well....
    That was mostly thanks to General Marshall's leadership and Japan's compatibility with Western Democracy. That's something the we (the U.S.) don't seem to understand when it comes to the Middle East. They have fundamentally different values that contradict with Western values. Therefore it's unrealistic to expect a western democracy in the middle east, at least not the way we are use to. They don't understand or want to assimilate to western values.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Logic in this argument is laughable. First of all world wars are far from logical. Second let us be.. logical.. this thread is more about "I hate USA" or "I hate USSR" and just found a cleaver middle ground for people to shot at the side they choose to shoot at.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    But "conquer" part simply cannot happen with Russian size. All you can do with airpower is kill, not conquer. With Russian size and guerilla traditions you would be mired there for decades to come.

It will not be enough to get to capital and declare "win" as French invasion shown - you would have to fight for every inch of territory while enduring constant attacks on your supply lines.
    A military victory doesn't have to be conquest. It could simply be destroying the opponent's ability to make war. Maybe destruction of soviet military equipment, destruction of arms production factories, destruction of oilfield infrastructure, etc.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    No but we do have some large bases in Alaska, probably enough to take on Russia.....
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    To me the answer is, how threads that are basically "who has or had the bigger dick" are outright stupid.
    Why? Would be actually nice to compare them objectively but people can't handle that.

I feel like being in a fucking sandbox with fucking kids screaming MY MOTHER IS BETTER THAN YOURS, and honestly, fuck that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post

We imposed Democracy on Germany too, look how that turned out.
    no you did not! What gives you that idea? LMAO
    You've helped others to defeat a tyrant... Fine.. No one has ever not given you due for that.
    You also helped to rebuild the country which you first laid into rubble... Also a cool move.
    You stuck it out with the other allies to keep the annexed zones of the Western Allies under Western control. Also a cool move...
    After that... The rest was up to Germany, and the Germans. There was democracy before the Nazis.. in fact, democracy gave the Nazis way to power. They were elected in democratic elections.
    Many Germans argue, in hindsight of the war, how we should have stuck with monarchy, with the Emperor instead. Germany was never subject to a tyrant in a thousand years, until a republic was created and democracy was established.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Because our army is completely unprepared for winters that our nation has?
    A small proportion of your country has harsh winters, vs a country with harsh winter in most of his territory. Logic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    EMPs exist - nice heater.
    EMPs don't destroy heaters in cars. Even if they did, you can shield electronics from EMPs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskymon View Post
    Why? Would be actually nice to compare them objectively but people can't handle that.

I feel like being in a fucking sandbox with fucking kids screaming MY MOTHER IS BETTER THAN YOURS, and honestly, fuck that.
    Yup.... It's just not possible to analyze it reasonable. Starts already with failing to stick to the conditions of the applicable times.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    What about a conventional war with modern up-to-date equipment? What would it take to beat the US.
    The best way to beat the USA is to target the hearts and minds of the American people, The US Military is top notch but Ma and Pa civilian do not usually have the stomach for real war.

10+ Year Old Account
    A small proportion of your country has harsh winters, vs a country with harsh winter in most of his territory. Logic
    You do realize that the U.S. trains its soldiers in the environment they will be expecting when they go overseas.
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alaska, Montana, North Dakota and maybe some other areas add up to about 1/3 the US's land mass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    The best way to beat the USA is to target the hearts and minds of the American people, The US Military is top notch but Ma and Pa civilian do not usually have the stomach for real war.
    Bear in mind that the absolutely easiest way to galvanize the American civilian public into a war footing is to attack us on our home soil.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    no you did not! What gives you that idea? LMAO
    You've helped others to defeat a tyrant... Fine.. No one has ever not given you due for that.
    You also helped to rebuild the country which you first laid into rubble... Also a cool move.
    You stuck it out with the other allies to keep the annexed zones of the Western Allies under Western control. Also a cool move...
    After that... The rest was up to Germany, and the Germans. There was democracy before the Nazis.. in fact, democracy gave the Nazis way to power. They were elected in democratic elections.
    Many Germans argue, in hindsight of the war, how we should have stuck with monarchy, with the Emperor instead. Germany was never subject to a tyrant in a thousand years, until a republic was created and democracy was established.
    We said, look we'll give you this pile of money if you choose democracy. How about it?

If you were already going to choose democracy, that's fine.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland