Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    I am afraid carriers are not usable vs a country like Russia. They are actually sitting ducks.
    How so? They have an AEGIS Cruiser, a couple destroyers and at least 1 sub protecting them at all times. They also have their own air assets, and considerable defensive measures built in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    I've seen it said a few places that the largest air force is the US air force, the 2nd largest is the US Navy 3rd goes to Russia maybe then comes the US Army and the Marine Corp.
    The US Air Force has 5600+ aircraft, the US Navy has 3,700+ aircraft, the Army has about 3700+ as well but these are mostly rotary craft, such as Apaches and Blackhawks. They rely on the Air Force for close support. The Marines have their own fighter wings, and have about 1,000+ aircraft.

The entire Russian Military has about 3000 aircraft.

Let that sink in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chort View Post
    This is why Russian and American will not get along for a long time - until people like you guys exists.
    I'm assuming you mean that Russia and America will not get along as long as people like us (or ME, at least) exists.

My response to this would be that perhaps Russia and America aren't meant to get along.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just set up an Axis & Allies board and play United States vs USSR. See who wins.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zvinny View Post
    How so? They have an AEGIS Cruiser, a couple destroyers and at least 1 sub protecting them at all times. They also have their own air assets, and considerable defensive measures built in.

- - - Updated - - -

The US Air Force has 5600+ aircraft, the US Navy has 3,700+ aircraft, the Army has about 3700+ as well but these are mostly rotary craft, such as Apaches and Blackhawks. They rely on the Air Force for close support. The Marines have their own fighter wings, and have about 1,000+ aircraft.

The entire Russian Military has about 3000 aircraft.

Let that sink in.
    Missile spam, it only takes one.

^
    Plus the pentagon has said that there are no current defenses for SS-N-27 and that's old news for an old missile. There are currently much better versions of it, that come from space too =)

I am afraid carriers are not usable vs a country like Russia. They are actually sitting ducks.
    Howw exactly do you plan on getting close to a carrier group.

Bombers would be shot down pretty damn quick by Naval fighters, and if somehow some managed to get through that, you have several destroyers and missle cruisers with the most advanced SAM systems in the world, and if you managed to get by that somehow, you have the Phalanx systems would could shoot down almost any missle fired, and turn bombers to swiss cheese.

This also includes anti-ship missles fired from land.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Howw exactly do you plan on getting close to a carrier group.

Bombers would be shot down pretty damn quick by Naval fighters, and if somehow some managed to get through that, you have several destroyers and missle cruisers with the most advanced SAM systems in the world, and if you managed to get by that somehow, you have the Phalanx systems would could shoot down almost any missle fired, and turn bombers to swiss cheese.

This also includes anti-ship missles fired from land.
    You send the missile from land to the carrier, tens of them at a time, win?

And Russians have very good planes, ships and subs too. They are not Iraq, Iran or <insert random country name here> .

There are plenty of articles out there that quote people from pentagon saying what i am telling you. Just google.

In reality Russia would just nuke the carrier group, send a few ICBMs with MIRVS and its gg; in a war today there would be no aicraft carrier involved for that reason.

As for the air supremacy SU-35s are monsters almost as good as the Raptors.

Just wait for the PAK-FA to come in production and its going to be gg.
    Last edited by Ulmita; 2014-09-18 at 11:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    I'm not sure if the British use AEGIS, but it's made vast strides against missile spam tactics. When it utilizes CEC, it can coordinate targeting data on up to 100 targets per ship in the strike group (excluding the carrier), and utilize the track data to launch SM-2s at ranges of over 100 miles. After that bubble, you still have the SLQ-32's, Nulkas, and if all else fails you got CWIS. Not saying it's impossible, by any means, but even if they are hit Aircraft carrier can take a hit and keep on rolling. Theres a documentary about a shipbreaking company that got hired to sink the Kitty Hawk, if I remember correctly. The thing they had to do to make it go under were amazing.

They have to get within range to be fired. Carrier groups arent going to get close enough for land based Anti-ship missles, so that leaves bombers, which we would fuck up with a giant grin on our faces.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    Honestly it depends on when the war occurred, the Soviets very well could have won in the 1970's shortly after Vietnam. Anything 80's or later though would favor the US and NATO.
    It depends so much on where and when. Are you talking win as in taking the capital of the other side?

10+ Year Old Account

And Russians have very good planes, ships and subs too. They are not Iraq, Iran or <insert random country name here> .

There are plenty of articles out there that quote people from pentagon saying what i am telling you. Just google.

In reality Russia would just nuke the carrier group, send a few ICBMs with MIRVS and its gg. In a really war today there would be no aicraft carrier involved.

AEGIS brah. It's a beast.

In reality Russia would just nuke the carrier group, send a few ICBMs with MIRVS and its gg. In a really war today there would be no aicraft carrier involved.

What new planes have the Russians made in the last 20 years that have been massed produced that we couldn't eat in seconds? We outclass them technologically in every measurable way.

Russian subs are so noisy we know when they leave port.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Gerald R. Ford will be 1,106 ft long and weight 110k tons. AC's are pretty damn maneuverable as well.
    You haven't lived until you have been on a Nimitz doing a Flank speed turn, man is it a rush, but nothing like being between Cats 1&2 during flight ops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zvinny View Post
    That didn't seem to slow down the Chinese:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...red-faced.html
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is why the Soviet Navy spend so much time and effort trying to devise a way to defeat the carriers, and why the USN spend so much time and effort countering those efforts.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Gerald R. Ford will be 1,106 ft long and weight 110k tons. AC's are pretty damn maneuverable as well.
    30+ knots is fucking ridiculous, especially for a vessel of that size. I regularly work with boats with a 14 knot max speed.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    What new planes have the Russians made in the last 20 years that have been massed produced that we couldn't eat in seconds? We outclass them technologically in every measurable way.

Russian subs are so noisy we know when they leave port.

Go read, you are obviously left Russia 20 years ago.

Planes SU-35 (Incoming best next year: PAK-FA or SU-50)
    Subs: Yasen class (Already being delivered)
    Last edited by Ulmita; 2014-09-19 at 12:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^
    Plus the pentagon has said that there are no current defenses for SS-N-27 and that's old news for an old missile. There are currently much better versions of it, that come from space too =)
    Kill the launch vehicle, kill the targeting vehicle, kill before terminal phase, etc. Any missile coming from space is easier to defeat than a sea-skimmer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    That didn't seem to slow down the Chinese:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...red-faced.html
    That was definitely an embarrassment, no doubt about it. It was also 7 years ago. One sub doing something one time doesn't truly set a trend. We did a subhunting excercise a few years back, and the Shiloh managed to sit on top of a Chinese contact for a week, just using passive. They probably could have gone on longer if they did active. Not to mention Com2Ex devotes almost 2 weeks of 24 hour training just to the sonar guys, which was a change made very very recently. Tactics constantly evolve.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure one missile would take out a carrier, to be honest.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!