Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck that noise. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. No populous should ever have to bend over backwards to accommodate one person. It should be the responsibility of that one special snowflake to adapt and to overcome the adversity so that they may take their place as one of the many. Is life going to suck for the deaf guy? Yeah, probably. But at no time should the rest of the students be put upon just to keep from hurting DeafGuy's feels.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    Fuck that noise. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. No populous should ever have to bend over backwards to accommodate one person. It should be the responsibility of that one special snowflake to adapt and to overcome the adversity so that they may take their place as one of the many. Is life going to suck for the deaf guy? Yeah, probably. But at no time should the rest of the students be put upon just to keep from hurting DeafGuy's feels.
    Shit like this happens all the time my cousin's high school was 100% peanut free to accommodate a kid deathly allergic to peanuts, you would literally would get suspended even if you didn't go anywhere near the kid or interact with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

As you said, it's a rumor; yet I understand your position. Someone, somewhere, thought that this was a good idea and, now that it's been put into place, after seeing that it wasn't such a great idea, they are too arrogant to understand the error of their ways. Policies such as these, just plain old stupid shit, will continue to be created, by the nanny state-ers, who enjoy sitting around thinking about how to structure and organize other peoples lives - just don't expect them to live by their own rules - and enforced, though no one will comprehend why policy of this caliber (i.e. shitty) was ever thought to be an idea in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't they also record the sign language interpreter?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Shit like this happens all the time my cousin's high school was 100% peanut free to accommodate a kid deathly allergic to peanuts, you would literally would get suspended even if you didn't go anywhere near the kid or interact with him.
    That's...I don't even know how to respond to that.

OT: fuck the entitled deaf kid, why should the rest of the class suffer? The school should just hire someone to take notes for him since he's such an entitled piece of shit even though he has someone signing for him. Good luck in the real world, chump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    That's...I don't even know how to respond to that.

OT: fuck the entitled deaf kid, why should the rest of the class suffer? The school should just hire someone to take notes for him since he's such an entitled piece of shit even though he has someone signing for him. Good luck in the real world, chump.
    umm why blame the deaf kid when the college no-recording policy is a complete idiotic rule to begin with?

sorry but at least in the United States, when you go to a public institution, faculty must be accommodating towards ALL students. This Professor already fucked up by not doing that.

I can't believe the number of people who defend this crap.

When did 1 person's problems become more important than every other person on the planet combined?

Truth is, most handicapped people are cool with everything, but there are a few that are just pissed off at the world that they're handicapped and are basically just looking for any excuse to bitch and make everyone else miserable too. They're a very small number, but you notice them because of how god awful they are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    There is a person that attends class that does sign language for this person.
    Yeah this is why this is a weird thing, when I was at university there were 2 deaf people in one of my classes, they stood at the front and there was a sign language person basically transmitting everything that was going on to them from near the stage, if they are filming the class why arent they filming the sign language person along with it?

Seems like the problem is not with the school but with however sets up the video of the class that was too much of a moron to include the sign language person in the video, because of this, the school has every right to stop the video until someone can figure out how to communicate with this sign language person or figures a way of adjusting the recording equipment so that includes the sign language, if I was deaf, had a sign language person "translate" stuff on the classes I go to and someone was filming it and didnt even take 5 seconds to ensure that I could also benefit from the video, ofc I would kick up a fuss and rightly so.

This is not a problem of "when did 1 person problem became more important than every other", it's not like they had to hire a person from accross the world to come and add notes, if the deaf person is in this class there is already someone "translating" it into sign language, its just this teacher was too much of a moron to take 5 seconds to tell the person to stand in the field of the view of the camera or adjust the camera equipment, this is unacceptable. What's next, is the teacher just gonna ignore the deaf student?

I swear some people live in cartoon world.
    Last edited by mmoc3bea1d4ff7; 2014-09-18 at 06:39 PM.

They don't film the class. It's a voice recording and it also records the computer screen which controls what is on the projection.

This is the same sort of thinking that leads to schools banning PBJ sandwiches. In short, it's why we can't have nice things.

If the course is graded on a curve giving an advantage to everyone else will hurt the deaf kids grade. I don't understand why they wouldn't just provide a transcript.

Is it fair? No. But it is the correct decision. Assuming you are in the United States, at least.

Americans with Disabilities Act, 42 U.S. Code § 12182
    No individual shall be discriminated against on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation by any person who owns, leases (or leases to), or operates a place of public accommodation.
    (And before anybody asks, yes, a school lecture hall is specifically included as a "place of public accommodation," including private schools.)

It's one of those things where a well-intentioned rule makes things worse and harder than they need to be.
    Last edited by Xar226; 2014-09-18 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reebelraabel View Post
    What Oreo said. Tell them to offer someone with free time and the basic know-how a quick buck for transcribing the videos. (or audio recordings, whichever they are)
    Or do it yourself and you will never forget anything said in class. You earn a few bucks FOR studying. Offer the service.

So if the deaf student uses an interpreter/signer during class, why can't the deaf student also use the interpreter/signer when viewing the video? The accommodation is to enable the deaf student to have access to all coursework. I completely understand the deaf student's issue with not being able to "hear" the video, but the same accommodation he/she gets in the classroom should be available to this student outside of the classroom. This providing of the accommodation falls on the school and the schools exceptional student program - not the professor. The professor creating a video for the students should be seen as a huge benefit to all. By producing the video and then spending the time to put captioning in, the videos can be used by all future students. I can't imagine an interpreter signing to a student in a differential algebra class or able to keep up in a lecture style environment when you get a prof who blows thru material and slides.

The no recording policy is strange. I can't think of a legitimate reason for not allowing recording unless they were previously burned in some legal manner and implemented the rule. In my mind, the tuition you are paying should give you complete access all activities in the classroom including recordings.