Raid Tanking in WoD: Pally vs DK

Hello Everyone!

Due to losing one of our teams tanks for WoD, I am going to be making a swap from my rogue to one of my tanks(Dk or Pally) to take over tanking duties for our guild.

I was going to go with my dk, as I quite enjoy him right now, and have filled in tanking with him throughout Mists. Recently I have been reconsidering this choice, due to what I have been reading from fellow DKs in the beta, and how the blood dk rotation feels to them on the beta.
    Really sounds like I am going to be having more downtime in my rotation as a dk than I would care for(my current main is a combat rogue, and I like the fast pace).

So it leads me to think, I may be more happy going back to my pally, who was my long time main, as a tank and dps. Not really losing anything skill wise that will affect their rotation, and the prot pally rotation has always felt pretty good to me(always seems to be a skill off cooldown etc)

Thoughts from anyone in the beta who has done any raid testing? Or from anyone who seen/heard anything throughout the beta?

Some background, we are not a mythic guild, but we take our two days of raiding each week quite seriously. So I am always looking to min/max any toon I play. I am sure I can make either class work for our guilds needs, I just cant seem to make my mind up as to which to pick.

Thanks for your time!

10+ Year Old Account
    Since there haven't been any major raid tests since the huge tank nerf it's really hard to give a definitive answer.

You should wait and decide for yourself. The problem with most of the people complaining is the downtime on main abilities. There is plenty of filler choices that can be done to lessen the monotony. Plus with the changes to the way healing and tanking is I imagine that it will be pretty engaging to say the least and spam heavy playstyle may not be the best course of action.

Deleted
    as most people have said the numbers are not final and limited testing have been done since the major change/nerf/fix or whatever you want to call it to tanks.

if you want an answer then right now currently on beta warrior and paladin are the strongest but that could literally change to say monk druid and warr/pally could be nerfed into the ground if blizzards make more adjustments.

I would be ready to play both

Numbers are subject to change, but thematically celestalon has said that blood dk having downtime is intentional. This coupled with the fact that paladins tend to haste stack likely means paladin will more be your cup of tea for faster play (even assuming they actually 'fix' blood dk's pacing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

That is kind of what I am thinking as well, Raiju. The rotation on my dk on the ptr just feels strange, and not as fun as it is on live. So leaning towards Pally atm, but will keep my options open. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Paladin definitively has more raid utility, and is more fun to play. Dk will be strong I think, but they have very little in the way of utility. I think being able to help out healers (which they removed from Dks *bloodworms*) will be nice, in the hammer, and selfless healer
    Beta club member

We get way to wrapped up in the "ZOMG WHATS TEH BESTEST TANK TO PLAY" here is as basic as it gets.....

Either one played at a high level will be more sufficient to do the kind of raiding you would like to accomplish and you should pick the character that you understand and can execute at the highest level and ultimately whichever one you enjoy the most because I promise you that they will both be 100% viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Guzrud View Post
    We get way to wrapped up in the "ZOMG WHATS TEH BESTEST TANK TO PLAY" here is as basic as it gets.....

Either one played at a high level will be more sufficient to do the kind of raiding you would like to accomplish and you should pick the character that you understand and can execute at the highest level and ultimately whichever one you enjoy the most because I promise you that they will both be 100% viable.
    Did you actually even read the OP??
    Dks ain't in the best place ATM however many nerfs/balancing still to take place. As you say you have tanked on both of the classes before so most likely know a bit to each. Personally I will be levelling my war and pala at launch to see which I prefer.

However pala tanking won't be anywhere near as quick fire as it is right now as current sims sglw haste to be our worst stat. Seems bonus armor - crit - mastery is the way celestion is pushing us unfortunately!

It also depends on what class your tanking with as some fights are based around dodge tank on 1 boss block tank on the other.
    Now as Blood Elf
    My Youtube Channel