Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Co-sleeping is only a problem in the US. It has been found that parents who are properly rested and not over drugged will always wake for their child and never hurt them. In the US maternity leave is poor for women at best and unheard of for men. most of the rest of the world pays women to stay home and at least allows men to take unpaid leave for a short time. This allows for better child care at a young age when those things are important.

Co-sleeping and anti-vaxer is not even close to the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    The only stats I've looked at for co-sleeping showed that the difference between mortality for co-sleep and crib sleep vanished if you removed intoxication and sleeping on couches. It's hardly comparable to anti-vaccination.
    The couch thing is an issue if you leave them on a couch that isn't safe... cracks they can get stuck in. There is a lot of pictures of me sleeping on couches, beds and floors with a small child in my arms. Of course I was not drugged, never move in my sleep and I wake easily and calmly. These where also daytime naps. So an hour or two tops... not all night. Also I would never let my wife do the same things I did because she probably would have thrown one of our boys... she tends to thrash violently when she wakes up

People that breastfeed after a kid is 2 scare me. My youngest is just over 2 and he asks for certain types of food. If my son asked for a banana and a boob I am pretty sure I would upset.
    Last edited by Ulfhedinn; 2014-09-23 at 08:39 AM.

Deleted
    never really understood sleeping with very young children
    Moses basket, and a couple of blankets are very cheap, and much more comfortable, and safer, for you and child.

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I am not just caught up with the lingo, but wtf is anti-vaxxer and co-sleeping mean?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Maybe I am not just caught up with the lingo, but wtf is anti-vaxxer and co-sleeping mean?
    Co-sleeping is young kids sleeping in their parent's bed, which is supposedly dangerous, but only in the US.
    Anti-vaxer is somebody who thinks vaccinations cause autism and cancer and other stuff...

Can we get a vaccination for stupid soon? It is really needed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    Co-sleeping is young kids sleeping in their parent's bed, which is supposedly dangerous, but only in the US.
    Anti-vaxer is somebody who thinks vaccinations cause autism and cancer and other stuff...

Can we get a vaccination for stupid soon? It is really needed...
    These are literally the most stupid slang I have ever read, I want a vaccine for this slang now. Vaxer? Are people so fucking dumb and lazy not to write anti-vaccine?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    dont the kids mind when they get into their late teens?

lol, /pat

co-sleeping is parents and very young children sharing the same bed - which is why the biggest concern regarding that practice is small children being crushed/suffocated by an unknowing, sleeping parent.

Deleted
    Anti vaxxers are the scum of the earth

It's not your life or your kids so.... don't worry about it?

Also, I'm pretty sure co-sleeping with children is as old as the human race itself. I dunno what "documentation" you've been reading.

Deleted
    dem kids gonna be warped as fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    And here I thought the thread would be about higher risk of giving your children with weak immune systems more diseases by sharing a bed with them...
    Ot: I co-slept with my parents til I was 5, that was the age at which I stopped wetting my bed. I didn't have a reason to migrate in the middle of the night if I already had a perfectly unpeed bed all for myself. Another thing that might have influenced this habit was that I drank breat milk until I was 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Nothing wrong with co-sleeping, plenty of families with not much space have their children sleeping with the parents until they are adults. Its a very western concept that everyone gets their own bed.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

There is no "X" in vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    It's not your life or your kids so.... don't worry about it?
    If you just mean co-sleeping, I'd agree. Although after a certain age it just becomes weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Tell your wife to mind her business. It's really none of her concern.
    Again, if you mean co-sleeping, sure.

If you mean vaccines, then I disagree. It's a concern for society and the population at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltah View Post
    If you just mean co-sleeping, I'd agree. Although after a certain age it just becomes weird.
    Good weird?

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Good weird?
    Well, it would make the conversation about having your friends sleep over a little awkward at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Nothing wrong with co-sleeping, plenty of families with not much space have their children sleeping with the parents until they are adults. Its a very western concept that everyone gets their own bed.
    In the US there seems to be this obsession with aloofness in the family. Me and my 2 brothers were raised in a little 900 square foot bungalow but people seem to think they need 4000 square feet to raise one child. But this was back when going to the park was fun and parents weren't too paranoid to send you out on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    So my wife has a friend who co-sleeps with her children and is also an anti-vaxer. I do not even know what to say to her. On one hand you have the co-sleeping, documented to be unsafe and unadvised to do. Then as well all know the non science of the Anti Vaccination.

How can a person reconcile the logical inconsistency? I also how many others are the same way. While I find it mind boggling, I am not surprised.
    Your wifes friend is an idiot.
    I can see the discussion now: "Mommy why do I have measals?"
    "because god loves you hunny!"

ROFL
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

15+ Year Old Account
    Co-sleeping is weird but understandable, and not really anyone's business as long as it stops before a certain age. Anti-vaccination is a whole other matter, and should absolutely be criticized as it's putting the child in potentially lethal danger because of willful ignorance.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not vaccinating one's children is a choice that people should not be given. It's a difficult one to argue though, because if a parent genuinely believes that vaccinating their child will endanger that child, no matter how misguided that belief is, it is still rational that they fight tooth and nail for what they perceive is best for their children. The argument presupposes that everyone agrees on the vaccination debate.

However, the objective truth here is that while people are entitled to their opinions, no matter how idiotic, it is accepted by the vast majority of experts on the subject that refusing to vaccinate your child endangers it and every other child in the community. It should not be a choice. People should be allowed to have an opinion. They should be allowed to voice their dissent. But they should not be allowed to refuse to co-operate. It's like forcing parents to ensure that their kids wear seatbelts in the car, or making it illegal to give your children illegal drugs, or smoke cigarettes in front of them, or assault them or kill them. Perceived parental "rights" should never trump parental responsibilities.

As for co-sleeping: If you've never been a parent you might not understand. It's in our nature to want to be close to our offspring. In days gone by it was more than likely necessary for survival due to the need to keep warm. That being said, in modern society it's probably not the wisest choice for a number of reasons. But unlike the vaccination debate, I believe that this is one that should be left up to the parents involved to decide.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2014-09-23 at 03:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    The sad thing is making vaccinations mandatory in all forms of public services wouldn't kill the antivaxxer movement. It would just create a bunch of socially crippled(home schooled), indoctrinated, sickly people with hatred for the government.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.