15+ Year Old Account

GPU driver quesiton... Is it just me?

I've thought this for years now, ever since I bought my first gaming PC back in 2004. Everytime I update my GPU drivers, once they are installed, the screen seems a little clearer. While my logical self says this is all in my head, the other part of me can't help but wonder if the screen is in fact just a little more clear, vibrant, sharp, etc.

This happen to anyone else?
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I am not sure I have noticed the same thing as you, and I would hazard to guess it is in fact a placebo effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    I am not sure I have noticed the same thing as you, and I would hazard to guess it is in fact a placebo effect.
    "Placebo", couldn't think of the word when posting this lol. Thanks, but yeah, I'm guessing so too. Just thought I would ask, sitting here bored, procrastinating about my homework.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you uninstall your drivers then install the new ones, that could change the appearance of it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Someone here needs to write a script for you that just installs the drivers over and over again. You go to bed and wake up with a CRT monitor from 1999 that's become a 4k

(Meant in jest! I'm bored too!)

Maybe if you see the 800x600 stretched across the screen as the old driver uninstalls, and then when the new driver's on and the native res looks clear compared to that?

>_>

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baphomette View Post
    Maybe if you see the 800x600 stretched across the screen as the old driver uninstalls, and then when the new driver's on and the native res looks clear compared to that?

>_>
    That makes sense, and that's the only reason that the new drivers might "seem" clearer. Because you looked at the horrible stretched 800x600 as the driver was reinstalling.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baphomette View Post

>_>
    I hate when people take what I say then make it actually explainable. <.<
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I hate when people take what I say then make it actually explainable. <.<
    Well... I could make it actually more explainable.

If for example the new driver had different settings changed for color ranges or what not.
    Say if NVidia decides to change from limited RGB over HDMI (and sometimes DisplayPort) and to full sRGB then you'd get a picture difference. Why they don't do this I don't know.
    Or for example the color was YCbCr and change to RGB or vice versa the colors can change. (Change isn't that big just to note)

Colors can change by a video card's LUT being changed a bit.

That said, I don't think any recent updates actually do these changes so more than likely it's a placebo effect.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-09-24 at 02:46 AM.