Windows 8.1 or Blizzard problems? And how to fix?

Unsure if this is directed to Windows 8.1 being stupid, or Blizzard's most recent patch for the Beta being stupid with the new file system.

After having an assertion error earlier the was preventing the Battle.Net client from loading Draenor after a patch, I decide to uninstall, and re-download the Draenor beta.

So that took 6~ hours, downloading the Draenor Beta at anywhere from 1.7 Mb/S to 4.66 Mb/S

At the final 465.3Mb of the download, Windows 8.1 locks up, freezes, becomes unresponsive, but I have full mouse control.

No other programs where running aside from the processes Windows runs.

I make an attempt to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to go into Task Manager, and Windows brings up a pop saying something along the lines of that it failed to open the screen that has these options and is needing the user to press the power button to restart.

I do that, reload Windows, and go to Event Viewer to see nothing has been logged for the time frame this event occurred.

Load Battle.Net Client back up, finish the patching that had locked up from before, and then load the game. Adjust the game settings to how I prefer, to only come across that Graphic, Sound, or Interface options are not saving. They reset everytime I reload the game back to default. Doesn't matter if I Alt F4 or Log Out properly. They simply do NOT save.

Little bit of looking into the directory, and find out that "Cache" "WTF" and "Interface" do not exist?
    Simmons: There's no "I" in "team".
    Griff: There's no "U" in "team" either. so if "U" and "I" aren't in the team, who gives a f_ _ k about the team?
    "Gotta' trust some one to be betrayed. I never did." - Captain Price
    Bungie Has My Studio Of The Decade Vote. "Hours Played" is greater than "Money Made".

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried running the repair utility to fix any corrupted/missing files?

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Have you tried running the repair utility to fix any corrupted/missing files?
    Ran it, no problems or files missing. Which is a blatant lie. =\

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    If Windows freezes, it can be a hardware problem. I have 8.1 and it works very well since the day I installed it. I can't say how it works for beta but I can for PTR, and there works nice too, if not better than live. Options that you tick and not getting saved - well, its beta, but they should definitely be saved for the live, so expect all kind of annoying shit while in beta. Don't be fooled with "it's closed to release so it should be all fine."
    Except that it was running just fine yesterday prior to the patch. =\

- - - Updated - - -

As for Hardware problems, I haven't added or removed anything in weeks. This is a fairly new system.
    Doesn't run hot, not finding any performance faults when running diagnostic troubleshoots.
    Griff: There's no "U" in "team" either. so if "U" and "I" aren't in the team, who gives a f_ _ k about the team?
    Bungie Has My Studio Of The Decade Vote. "Hours Played" is greater than "Money Made".

10+ Year Old Account
    Could just be a broken patch. Have you tried making the folders yourself and seeing if they get populated? I don't have the beta, so I can't compare as another 8.1 user. Probably best to post in the beta forums if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Could just be a broken patch. Have you tried making the folders yourself and seeing if they get populated? I don't have the beta, so I can't compare as another 8.1 user. Probably best to post in the beta forums if you haven't already.
    I create them, they where never filled. They seem to be ignored when attempting to save anything.

I even tried to copy the Live game missing folders, and the Beta refused to use them also.

I have been on the Beta forums several times, and haven't even gotten a response from other players, let alone Blizzard Tech support.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe try running the repair tool with the live files? I'm not 100%, but I would think they would be "wrong" and fixed by the repair. Other than that, not sure what to tell you

Repaired Live, and nothing was missing. >,<!

Looks like I'm forced to uninstall the Beta and re-install it. Again. To see if it will properly install this time...

Noticing something new though..

My RAM goes up over time. Curiosity, I pause it, and close Battle.Net. The RAM usage doesn't go down, but I'm not finding anything in Processes or Performance that is using it... It's like it's reserved...

Rebooted, and continuing the download... Going up slowly once again...

I'm leaving it up, but I'm beginning to wonder if it a combo of both resulting in the system lock up: But it's the RAM capping out to the point the system locks up?...

CPU doesn't go over 3%, Disk is under 1%, But RAM on idle at boot is 16%. Prior to stopping it, it had loaded up to 47%... Rebooted, currently at 32%...

Intel i7-4770
    ATI R9 290x 4Gb
    8Gb RAM
    WD Red Drive 7200 RPM

Never had any issues like this when I was on Windows 7... Yet, get a load of problems from 8.1 <Sigh.>
    Glad I got Windows 8 Pro for free... Using it for a year, I'd never be willing to pay for this OS...

I'm not quite sure if my problem that I had is related, however I just got a brand new Windows 8.1 PC, (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...0340&CatId=114 ) and I've had nothing but problems with freezes--on all of my games--at a random rate. It only happens during games. I had everything updated (windows updates, video card drivers, etc.) and nothing seemed to work. Never had this much trouble with a PC right out of the box.

I eventually used my warranty, and they said it may be a hardware issue. I'm not sure if this will help, but I decided I would put my two cents.

My mouse, desktop, everything froze. I also replaced the video card with my older computer's card, did the same thing except less. My guess it may be a hardware or Windows 8.1 general issue. I still have mine out getting checked by the Cybertron people, but I have no word yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkra View Post
    I'm not quite sure if my problem that I had is related, however I just got a brand new Windows 8.1 PC, (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...0340&CatId=114 ) and I've had nothing but problems with freezes--on all of my games--at a random rate. It only happens during games. I had everything updated (windows updates, video card drivers, etc.) and nothing seemed to work. Never had this much trouble with a PC right out of the box.

I eventually used my warranty, and they said it may be a hardware issue. I'm not sure if this will help, but I decided I would put my two cents.

My mouse, desktop, everything froze. I also replaced the video card with my older computer's card, did the same thing except less. My guess it may be a hardware or Windows 8.1 general issue. I still have mine out getting checked by the Cybertron people, but I have no word yet.
    My theory with someone having a similar issue, considering I haven't had any issues with Windows 7, but having issues with 8, is that it's the OS itself, even though all my hardware is designed and supported for windows 8, but has nearly no mention for Windows 7 other than basic operational drivers.

If I get many more issues that continue, or new ones that occur, I'm just going to go back to Windows 7...

Past year, I've reinstalled Windows 8 I think up towards 6 times. Both direct download, renewed CD's keys, and on 3 different imaged discs...

I guess it's also possible that Yes, it's a Windows 8 Issue, but not for the reasons I'm thinking. It could be a simple Windows Update that installed wrong, or that I need to remove to fix. But Microsoft Windows Update Code's, details, and their database search is about as helpful as US Congress itself, so finding the Update that is causing the problem is going to be nearly impossible short of logging each cluster of updates I install after each Reboot-check sequence...

Same here--the one I'm on right now as I'm typing this is a Windows 7--everything works fine. I did have to reformat it before due to having issues from other things in the past which caused it to black screen on boot up, but now it works fine as a temporary PC until (hopefully) the 8.1 returns and is fixed.

The strange thing is, I have a few friends who have a similar PC which are Windows 8.1 and they have no problems what-so-ever. It really boggles me to no end...

I assume you don't have a warranty on your PC? Or was it just a buy-and-update from Win. 7? (If it was mentioned in the OP, I'm somewhat half-awake at the moment, so I may have not caught it.
    Last edited by Narkra; 2014-09-24 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkra View Post
    Same here--the one I'm on right now as I'm typing this is a Windows 7--everything works fine. I did have to reformat it before due to having issues from other things in the past which caused it to black screen on boot up, but now it works fine as a temporary PC until (hopefully) the 8.1 returns and is fixed.

The strange thing is, I have a few friends who have a similar PC which are Windows 8.1 and they have no problems what-so-ever. It really boggles me to no end...
    The weird lock up issue I'm google'ing around, seems to be a known and wide-spread problem: More frequent, but not limited to Laptops.

System Lockups, but with full Mouse navigation, and Ctrl-Alt-Delete error's... Most reports are on ASUS boards though, but still on a number of different systems. I personally can't see a similarity except for the operating system itself... Haven't found anything that seems to be a solution as of yet...

My only other system is also Windows 8.1 of the same ISO, but different hardware, but from the same manufacturer, on a Laptop and yet no problems on it. (What I'm currently posting with now so I can watch my resource monitor closely on the other machine.)

RAM is back up to 39% (3.1Gb), CPU at 3%, Disk at 0-2%, Download at 1.68Mb/S. Time since last Reboot was 1 hour and 26 minutes ago...

Hm.. mine never had any navigation at all. Like, only during any game; random lock ups/freezes (could be an hour, minutes, a day of play). Mouse would freeze, would have to press the restart button to get back to Desktop.

I'm really wondering if some of the hardware might just be the issue. (I'm not very tech-smart or whatever, you might be able to tell :P) Like, a bad manufacture of certain hardware went out to the Windows 8.1 systems that may not be compatible or not working? I'm willing to throw any ideas out there at this point.. if it turns out to be Windows 8.1 specifically, they'd best get their stuff together. >< I was on the fence on getting a Win. 8.1, but under peer pressure of my friends who had one, I decided to get my next PC as a Windows 8.1. Never thought it would be this horrifying of an experience--I was mainly concerned about the new stuff (apps and such) but I never thought freezes would need to be a problem.

Though, regardless, I apologize for not being much help, I just wanted to put my own experience out here so you know your not the only one with issues. Good luck, and be sure to update if you find out anything; I will if I find anything out on my end once it gets back from the shop.

Just scan HDD for error probs the HDD on way out due to bad sectors. Like its downloading fine then at a point trying to wright to a bad sector or something.

Don't use normal disc check in windows download a Linux live CD/USB boot from it and check that way,

Now, i am not saying that it is, but it could be a harddisk problem. My current pc had 2 drives, and suddenly it started freezing up on me and closing and it did not give me any info to go on. Reinstalling did not help as it still happened, but after reinstalling on my 2nd harddrive it worked again.

When i encountered this (mind you im not a tech master but i do know my way around my pc and troubleshooting it) i felt like it pointed in 20 different directions at once and nothing i tried actually worked. In the end i ended up being stuck at it being a power problem, harddrive not getting enough power to function or a problem with the hardrive itself

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chaos View Post
    Just scan HDD for error probs the HDD on way out due to bad sectors. Like its downloading fine then at a point trying to wright to a bad sector or something.

Don't use normal disc check in windows download a Linux live CD/USB boot from it and check that way,
    +1 on that, i have one really really crappy HDD that does not have bad sectors, but it have weak sectors, disk gets really really slow when you try to access those weak sectors. Try to backup your data if you have feeling your HDD might fail.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkuri View Post
    My theory with someone having a similar issue, considering I haven't had any issues with Windows 7, but having issues with 8, is that it's the OS itself, even though all my hardware is designed and supported for windows 8, but has nearly no mention for Windows 7 other than basic operational drivers.

If I get many more issues that continue, or new ones that occur, I'm just going to go back to Windows 7...

Past year, I've reinstalled Windows 8 I think up towards 6 times. Both direct download, renewed CD's keys, and on 3 different imaged discs...

I guess it's also possible that Yes, it's a Windows 8 Issue, but not for the reasons I'm thinking. It could be a simple Windows Update that installed wrong, or that I need to remove to fix. But Microsoft Windows Update Code's, details, and their database search is about as helpful as US Congress itself, so finding the Update that is causing the problem is going to be nearly impossible short of logging each cluster of updates I install after each Reboot-check sequence...
    Multiple fresh reinstalls not fixing makes it sound like a hardware/bios issue.

As far as your interface changes not saving, run the beta as administrator, depending on your UAC settings it won't allow the game to save the new settings to the HDD unless you're running the game as admin.

- - - Updated - - -

My only other system is also Windows 8.1 of the same ISO, but different hardware, but from the same manufacturer, on a Laptop and yet no problems on it. (What I'm currently posting with now so I can watch my resource monitor closely on the other machine.)
    This makes it look even more like a hardware issue rather than a blizzard/win8 issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chaos View Post

Got a link to a reliable iso?

PS: I tried something in the registry, so far it seems to be working...

Disabled a huge known memory leak issue present on into windows 8.1 from the Windows 8 kernal.

I disabled the NDU.Sys (Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver)

Unsure if this will solver the Lock up issues, but it seems to solved the escalation of non-paged pooled RAM.

Got a link to a reliable iso?

PS: I tried something in the registry, so far it seems to be working...

Disabled a huge known memory leak issue present on into windows 8.1 from the Windows 8 kernal.

I disabled the NDU.Sys (Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver)

Unsure if this will solver the Lock up issues, but it seems to solved the escalation of non-paged pooled RAM.
    Literally any linux destro will do http://partedmagic.com/? When doing so might as-well run memory test and stuff also. I have had Windows disk check tell me a drive is fine a few times when it has not been. Plus checking the hard drive without it in use and seeing sector count and stuff is always nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Adudu View Post
    As far as your interface changes not saving, run the beta as administrator, depending on your UAC settings it won't allow the game to save the new settings to the HDD unless you're running the game as admin.
    That made no change.
    I've forcefully enabled Administrator mode in the PowerShell CLI, using that as this primary account until I can get this installed. Ran Battle.Net Client and installed as admin, and ran the game as Admin.

UAC is Disabled (It's a Piece of crap, and royally annoying on that.)
    Windows Firewall and their Half-ass security was disabled behind a secured network.

These changes made zero difference what so ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Will run that Driver checker though once I get this install done. Won't be the first time I've had a failing harddrive, and it's still in warranty anyway.

Trade off is, I have only one other drive, and it's barely 280Gb... I'd have to run almost everything through my External. ; _ ;

- - - Updated - - -

1: Changing the Ndu.Sys value has seem to be a fix on my system so far. Several hours now without even a hiccup. Yay?
    2: That Linux tool is amazing; but it had found nothing in terms of harddrive dis-stability or bad sector that where in use.

3: Uninstalling Draenor, clearing out any folders and cache folders it was in. I did a complete reinstall of Mists of Pandaria and Draenor.

Mists first, than Draenor after Mists was installed.
    I had installed Mists, Logged in, cached and saved some settings. Logged out of the game fully. Reloaded the game, settings saved, logged out.
    Ran the Draenor Installation, and it seemed to copy the Mists of Pandaria game; than patched and converted it's file system. Watching my performance and resource monitor, did not have any faults.
    After the install completed, I went into the folder of Draenor, and found that it had copied my Graphic and Interface settings from Mists? Log into Draenor, it keeps my Interface settings ,but it reset the Graphics to Draenor defaults.

Under that test alone, compared to some of the previous troubleshootings attempts, I'm figuring that Draenor somehow required the installation files of Mists? A direct download of just the Beta didn't seem to work correctly? I even tried to copy the folders from Mists before into the new Draenor install, but I guess when I did that, it could read the folders since they where not converted since Draenor is a new file system than Mists?...