Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you want to buy a house, you're going to need a lot of money, Norway is expensive. Secondly, Norway is a very hard place to be self-sustained.. I know some people who run farms (much like what you're thinking I guess, far from cities surrounded by mountains with a fresh supply of glacier water) and they have long since given up being self-sustained. It's a LOT of hard work and you cannot do it alone.
    If you work you can run a farm as a second job of course, but living off of it is near impossible unless you join up with other people, get funding, and start a proper business. It really is idyllic during the summer months, but the summers are short so you'd be working long hours, and the winters are are long and too cold to grow anything.

Anyways, Norway is great for the most part. It's got beautiful nature, low crime rates, excellent social safety nets, high standard of living. Living here is great, but it's not the place to go for the kind of life you're describing.

Quote Originally Posted by Throren View Post
    Meanwhile, in Norway

ah i remember this day, Baelgruff ordered his finest men yonder to fill the mead keg. but then we accidently snow iron horse into a svedish volvo.

It was a rich full day.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you Kvilt enough to live in Norway?

ARE YOU??!

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    Are you Kvilt enough to live in Norway?

ARE YOU??!
    pft, silly, we all know Norwegians look like this...

...right?

Deleted
    Just read Walden?

10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile, in Norway

I see they still have Vikings over there.

Interesting.

You can come to Minnesota, it's where all the Norwegian-Americans settled. I don't know why they picked someplace out in the middle of no where to settle. Farmland out the wazoo. Garrison Keillor is a famous Norwegian-American.

No social net though. If you scratch yourself on a rusty nail you will die of tetanus.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2014-09-24 at 09:53 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Grow your own food in Svalbard eh? Also Norway is ridicolously expensive, if you really want to live in the wild there are places that much better suited than Norway.
    Norway is only ridiculously expensive because our salary are insanely high over here and we don't have to do with huge expenses like school or medicals.
    That said we have a lot of taxes and fees tied to things that aren't necessary or "bad" for you like fatty foods (a Whopper at Burger King is like 14 Euros with drink and fries) same with petrol and things with a lot of sugar. Everything you need though is more or less free, regular food is cheap and like I mentioned all medical and school is free (covered by tax).
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Norway is only ridiculously expensive because our salary are insanely high over here and we don't have to do with huge expenses like school or medicals.
    That said we have a lot of taxes and fees tied to things that aren't necessary or "bad" for you like fatty foods (a Whopper at Burger King is like 14 Euros with drink and fries) same with petrol and things with a lot of sugar. Everything you need though is more or less free, regular food is cheap and like I mentioned all medical and school is free (covered by tax).
    Sure, it's all roses until you try to use trains as a timely mode of transportation.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a good place to live in. However, people here are rude.

- - - Updated - - -

pft, silly, we all know Norwegians look like this...

...right?
    Almost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watch the movie TROLL HUNTER. That thing looks like it was made by the Norwegian Bureau of Tourism.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Watch the movie TROLL HUNTER. That thing looks like it was made by the Norwegian Bureau of Tourism.
    That was a great movie. The girl with the dragon tattoo trilogy was way better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    That was a great movie. The girl with the dragon tattoo trilogy was way better though.
    While I agree, GwtDT was in Sweden.

"What's the difference!"

Yeah.
    Call me Cassandra

Quote Originally Posted by Lince View Post
    Everything is very very expensive, I wouldn't go there.
    Everything is expensive yea, tho im pretty sure if you take salaries into the equation Norway isn't that expensive. Just need a norwegian salary to live in Norway

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    So who has lived the furthest up in northern Norway? I'd really like to spend a year in Tromssa before I die.
    Go all the way and live on Svalbard. I've been seriously considering if I should spend a half-year there getting a degree in Arctic Construction.