Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsXolo View Post
    Imagine reading Kotaku.
    I'm not sure what the whole story is about this Kotaku thing, but articles are articles. Even biased sources can yield relevant information to those who look for it. Does that mean you should read every line like it was etched into stone by the gods? No. That doesn't mean that it's not worth a read however, even if only for mild amusement at it's idiocy. Knowledge is a powerful weapon, it allows you to see truth through the shroud of confusion and misdirection that surrounds us, but you won't be able to see, if you choose to not to look.

What does that mean? It means that I read everything, even sources I know cannot be fully trusted. I take that knowledge and file it away; to use (for good or ill) when it is relevant, and possibly gain insight into things I might not have known. The more information you have, from many different sources no less (even some that are less than reputable), the clearer a picture of something bigger begins to form, and the better able you are to predict, anticipate, and respond to things in that picture... or anywhere else for that matter. In essence, it means: read everything, because the alternative is an unclear view. (< TL;DR Here, which is rather ironic given the content)

As for Titan well... what do you think Prometheus is?
    "Were cancelling Titan, in other news were starting on a project called Prometheus" <- That doesn't seem connected to you? From the article:
    If you're thinking this all sounds way too cool to be buried forever, here's a bit of good news: One person connected to Blizzard told me that "a good handful" of the Titan team is actually still intact, despite yesterday's news that the game has been cancelled.
    In possibly unrelated news: Prometheus was a Titan of greek mythology.
    Now let's look at the parts: Titan is cancelled as a whole, but part of the team has stayed on. Blizzard stated it doesn't need to work on bigger games to win audiences in the same announcement. They then drop the name Prometheus, who is related to the Titans of mythology. Now put it together:
    Prometheus is the Titan project, scaled down and stripped bare to appeal to an audience on a smaller budget in a simpler format. Using things they got from Titan, to create something that isn't as... epic.
    Last edited by Jaojin; 2014-09-24 at 11:26 PM.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

Quote Originally Posted by Jaojin View Post
    As for Titan well... what do you think Prometheus is?
    "Were cancelling Titan, in other news were starting on a project called Prometheus" <- That doesn't seem connected to you? From the article:

In possibly unrelated news: Prometheus was a Titan of greek mythology.
    Now let's look at the parts: Titan is cancelled as a whole, but part of the team has stayed on. Blizzard stated it doesn't need to work on bigger games to win audiences in the same announcement. They then drop the name Prometheus, who is related to the Titans of mythology. Now put it together:
    Prometheus is the Titan project, scaled down and stripped bare to appeal to an audience on a smaller budget in a simpler format. Using things they got from Titan, to create something that isn't as... epic.
    There's no correlation with codenames, except for maybe Starcraft 2. Starcraft 2's codename was 'Medusa' while Diablo 3's codename was 'Hydra'. They're just internal identifications that mean just as much as Team 1, Team 2, Team 3, etc.

As for what Prometheus is, I'm certain it's Overwatch. And I'm certain it'll be announced in a month or two before Blizzcon/during Blizzcon.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2014/04/08/bl...tch-trademark/
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=825046

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Dear Blizzard:

Three words. Star. Craft. Universe.
    I wish they would just hire the guy making that, Fund it & boom we got a kickass World of Starcraft game.

Titan ideas were ok, not amazing. But It would of been interesting to see some kind of small demo or gameplay. We have seen many with terrible ideas that ended up being great & great ideas that ended up terrible.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2014-09-25 at 12:02 AM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

I love. Love. LOVE the concept. I think it would've been a hit! (If this isn't just some lie that is.)

My guess is that Titan was turning out to be to generic and uninspiring in content despite it's amazing concept. The 5 minutes of fame seems to be the fate of most 'next gen MMOs', so maybe Blizzard saw that before it happened by looking at the mistakes other current MMOs have made, causing them to cancel it.

I feel great disappointment for the loss of this project an the potential it had, but i look forward to the next project and hope it'll be better. Blizzard knows how to make a game and when it's going bad, so i trust their decision if they decide to get rid of something. It is their game, and it would be an oxymoron for us to bash them on a project we know literally nothing about until now (still taking this article with a grain of salt though. Kotaku isn't the most... reputable gaming website.)

Titan seemed very ambitious if this info is accurate, and it's not unlike them aim high.Ambition in the gaming industry is a risky move. There's nothing wrong with shooting for the stars, it's just that sometimes you only get as far as the moon.
    Last edited by Mellrod; 2014-09-25 at 12:34 AM.

I'm still sticking to my guns. Activision saw both projects made an ROI decision told Blizz no way on Titan and went with Destiny. They are similar enough and would be in the same market share. The progress report for Titan probably looked too far out for Acitivision to see profits and just decided hey scrap that keep the tech and work something else while we release Destiny which will fill the role Blizzard's game was shooting for. The FPS player who wants a reason to be online besides the pvp. Something to do while you wait on friends to show up for a clan match.

It sounds like the game would take too long to develop anyways. That is a lot going on in a game and a lot of AI design to mess with. Honestly Garrisons sound like a mini version of the "job" system they were using in Titan.

Overall I think it was over ambitious if this is really what Titan was and just sounds like a combo of farming and CoD in the future. The real question is is the "real world" zoned and you only interact with AI and then the "shadow world" is all pvp? Could have been interesting but the endeavor sounds like it would have been in production another 5 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mellrod View Post
    I love. Love. LOVE the concept. I think it would've been a hit! (If this isn't just some lie that is.)

My guess is that Titan was turning out to be to generic and uninspiring (despite it's amazing idea). The 5 minutes of fame seems to be the fate of most 'next gen MMOs'. Maybe blizzard saw that before it happened by looking at the mistakes other current MMOs have made, causing them to cancel it.

I feel great disappointment for the loss of this project, but i look forward to the next project and hope it'll be better.
    I think Activision saw exactly what you were saying. Saw the development budget blizz was burning and told them to axe it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing they canceled it, sounds too ambitious even for Blizzard and in the end it isn't fun when you treat a game like a job.
    Black Lives Matter

10+ Year Old Account
    honestly, this sounds like it would have been the most massive game ever. both in scope and playerbase. i mean, millions of people do stupid little chores in farmville, this sounds like that with a way awesomer paint coat plus combat. im suprised blizzard cancelled this, because when i read it all i saw was potential $$$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    I'm still sticking to my guns. Activision saw both projects made an ROI decision told Blizz no way on Titan and went with Destiny. They are similar enough and would be in the same market share. The progress report for Titan probably looked too far out for Acitivision to see profits and just decided hey scrap that keep the tech and work something else while we release Destiny which will fill the role Blizzard's game was shooting for.
    Activision is not in charge of Blizzard. They are an entirely separate entity under the same holding company. What's more, Activision didn't make Destiny. Bungie made Destiny, and Activision published it. The very idea that Blizzard would scrap a project they've been working on for seven years just because a related company is investing in a vaguely similar game is absurd, especially given that Activision is the same company that has no problem churning out a dozen different Call of Duty games year after year after year.

I'm not sure what's more ridiculous: the claim that Titan was either rebranded as Destiny or was canceled because of Destiny, or the logical hoops people are jumping through to justify their belief in this insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I'm not sure what's more ridiculous: the claim that Titan was either rebranded as Destiny or was canceled because of Destiny, or the logical hoops people are jumping through to justify their belief in this insanity.
    Bungie was brought in to save Titan and Activision-Blizzard a heap of money they had already spent on it. They salvaged the half-finished product and Activision made the decision to rebrand it Destiny to dissociate it with Blizzard and a failed seven year project. Activision used Bungie's prestige as the makers of Halo to sell a game that has no market (MMOFPS - just look at Defiance's fate).

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Dear Blizzard:

Three words. Star. Craft. Universe.
    Mmm do we need another space MMO? I'd play the hell out of a Diablo MMO, though.

Sounded interesting. Alas, it seems we're stuck with WoW; which I can't claim to be very excited about, especially considering that the Alliance and Horde seem to be 'Super Friends' in WoD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Mmm do we need another space MMO? I'd play the hell out of a Diablo MMO, though.
    I'd love a sci-fi MMORPG that wasn't a colossal failure. All attempts thus far (SW:TOR, etc) sadly have been.

Quote Originally Posted by The Clash View Post
    Rule #1 - Never combine MMO with FPS.
    potential MMO
    WoW in space. I'm talking about a 3rd person shooter type game based off of Starcraft
    Nice contradiction.

Diablo MMO would be too close to WoW and darker setting would limit the target group even more.
    World of Starcraft would be nice BUT Sci-Fi always had a smaller target group than fantasy.
    That's why Blizzard went with the "current reality + sprinkles of sci-fi fantasy" like many Superhero movies today (they start with a normal world and then add the superhero features to protagonists) but it seems this was not as much fun as they hoped. The Secret World is a MMORPG that works that way, too and was no very successful.

Hopefully they take a step back and realize what they do well and what untapped resources they have when it comes to a future MMO.[/QUOTE]
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    Bungie was brought in to save Titan and Activision-Blizzard a heap of money they had already spent on it. They salvaged the half-finished product and Activision made the decision to rebrand it Destiny to dissociate it with Blizzard and a failed seven year project. Activision used Bungie's prestige as the makers of Halo to sell a game that has no market (MMOFPS - just look at Defiance's fate).
    That's just entirely made up. Nothing we know about Titan supports that, from graphics style to content.

No time travel, so I wouldn't have cared as much as I would have if the rumour regarding it was true.

Sounds like a sandbox f2p MMO. Fuck that shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Just what we need, more medieval themes and more demons. Add orcs to it and we play WoW.

I would very much like a Starcraft MMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I'd love a sci-fi MMORPG that wasn't a colossal failure. All attempts thus far (SW:TOR, etc) sadly have been.
    What are you talking about? Even medieval MMOs other than WoW are colossal failures.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A few of the ideas really grabbed me. Shame it didn't work out. Still I'd love to see some of the official concept art.

10+ Year Old Account
    While different, it wouldn't have worked out.

Deleted
    The premise sounds sort of interesting, but it's immediately clear that there are so many things that can go wrong with it. This is just a few on top of my head:
    - Disjointed experience between the 2 game modes, it has "identity crisis" written all over it
    - the "real world" could turn in a horrible repetitive grind
    - the AI for the real world NPC would have to be incredibly complex and I can see new bugs and exploits surfacing for years after release
    - very cartoony graphics would turn off part of the player base
    - what could the FPS part offer that's new and refreshing compared to games like Borderlands, Destiny and the likes?

Seems like the kind of project that could easily fail no matter how much money, manpower and knowledge you put into it, aka 100% not worth it from a business point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Champion View Post
    Just what we need, more medieval themes and more demons.
    Mmm I think a heaven/hell themed MMO would do very well, actually.

Deleted
    To be honest Titan sounded extremely underwhelming from this description... Did you come back from 8h of work? Great, here, do another few hours of work to relax...

Was expecting something entirely different, more like a Destiny/Halo/Mass Effect/WoW crossover - basically a story driven sci-fi MMO-style game setting with WoW/SWTOR or Destiny/Halo kind of combat and group/social experience (and some proper graphics). Blizzard should really stick to their guns, MMOs and strategy games, not trying to reinvent the wheel. Really sounds to me like that game wouldn't have succeeded - imo good they scrapped it.