Deleted

WOD Death of snapshotting question

So we know snapshotting is dead. What happens to your dots if you die or zone out-there's no dynamic updates then presumably?

Even while dead you still have stats, so I assume your dots use those, rather than snapshotting the last set of stats you had while alive.

More importantly, why would this matter?

Probably would matter if the question was centered around a notion that they disappear as you die, which they don't.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xorn View Post
    Even while dead you still have stats, so I assume your dots use those, rather than snapshotting the last set of stats you had while alive.

More importantly, why would this matter?
    That sounds like a significant dps loss in pvp if I understand you correctly.

If I'm dead and my dots are calcuated on my base stats then they are not getting the benefit of procs and other effects created dynamically.

Even a good player is dead a lot in pvp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    yes but then for years the dps of direct-damage-casters and melee-attackers has also been known to drop significantly whenever the character dies... so DoT classes are still at advantage in that regard

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    yes but then for years the dps of direct-damage-casters and melee-attackers has also been known to drop significantly whenever the character dies... so DoT classes are still at advantage in that regard
    My lock is an alt so I've no strong feelings either way about the fairness of this, I was just curious as to what the new mechanics are.

I wonder what happens if your gear gets busted then you get a brez

All DoTs update dynamically - when you die, their damage scales to base damage based on your gear (buffs are gone, temporary boosts are gone, flasks stay). If you get a b-rez and get buffed immediately, the next tick will benefit from the buffs.

In short, DoT classes will still be able to some damage after dying, but getting some wasted due to huge ticking snapshotted just before dying will be gone. Enemies of DoT classes should be relieved now that killing your target stops it from owning you from beyond the grave.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post

If I'm dead and my dots are calcuated on my base stats then they are not getting the benefit of procs and other effects created dynamically.

Even a good player is dead a lot in pvp.
    So it makes you a good player to sit back & wait for procs then apply all your DoTs & die? lol. Just because something was "the norm" before, doesn't mean it was good.

Taking out snapshotting makes "perfect proc lineups" less powerful. Which is VERY GOOD. Rng deciding if you do another 100k+ dps is just too much. Without snapshotting there is still plenty of room for skill (at least for demo/destro).

I agree they made aff retarded now. Not like its hard to manage 3 DoTs (without worrying at all about procs), plus using Haunt and just praying to RNG gods for shadow trance. They needed to add like one more ability that uses procs and it would be fine...
    Graviity