Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You know, I'm not sure whether it's just trolling or if America is some hellish place which those of us who don't live there won't ever know.

I walk around at any time here without any trouble and this is a big city in Germany. Never had any trouble in any of the countries I've been, but I always see people saying that if you walk around at night alone in say, NYC or Los Angeles you'll get stabbed/murdered/sold as a sex slave or whatever.

It seemed normal and not so dangerous last time I did so. I suppose I could go to a part of town without lighting or something to kick it up a bit, but for the most part I'd say it isn't that dangerous.

idk, i dont live there. im sure it depends on the neighborhood you are in. though im conceal carry so i dont worry too much about it

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    You know, I'm not sure whether it's just trolling or if America is some hellish place which those of us who don't live there won't ever know.

I walk around at any time here without any trouble and this is a big city in Germany. Never had any trouble in any of the countries I've been, but I always see people saying that if you walk around at night alone in say, NYC or Los Angeles you'll get stabbed/murdered/sold as a sex slave or whatever.
    No.....honestly, all jokes aside....its not that bad. Cept florida. oi vey..........

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartumus22 View Post
    wut? also...wut??
    his previous thread where he threatened a Latino man and his child at a Barnes and noble.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post

It's the same as anywhere in the world Tyrael. Use common sense, don't wander around certain parts of the city, and you'll be fine.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Things that go bump...bump in the night.
    If you're worried about walking round somewhere late at night, just big a bat with you or faithful old corwbar...who's going to mess with you then? lol srsly though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartumus22 View Post
    Im white, 34, and average...I walk thru bad parts of town all the time, late at tnight....people just assume im crazy. Ex military, highly trained....yeah. im not scared.
    curious how far 'highly trained' would get you with;

I live in Los Angeles and have walked the streets at midnight many times and never felt threatened.

You should check out crime statistics over the past 30 years sometime. The crime rate in America completely collapsed in the 1990s and 2000s. If its 1992, I would say do NOT walk the streets at midnight. But in 2014, its actually pretty safe.

As to WHY the crime rate has collapsed, there's a few theories.

1. Getting into college became a lot easier in the 1980s. Most people turn to a life of crime around 18-24 years old. If you take people at that tender age and remove them from bad influences and instead place them in academia, maybe it arrests the process of becoming a criminal thug.

2. Roe vs Wade went before the Supreme Court in 1972 and they ruled women had the right to get an abortion. Since then, millions of unwanted babies were aborted. Unwanted, unloved children are at high risk to become criminals. 18 years after 1972 is 1990. So, the theory goes, crime collapsed in the 1990s and 2000s because that was when all the truly unwanted babies that WOULD have reached adulthood did not exist because they had been killed before they were born.

3. The prison population in the US has exploded since the mid 1980s. That's only 5-6 years of lag time between that event and the collapse of the crime rate in the US.

I'm a bit skeptical on point 2 because crime has collapsed in other nations, like the UK, and abortion was legal sooner than in America. Point 3 seems to be a likely cause. Crime rates in the UK peaked in 1995, and the prison population in the UK exploded starting in 1996.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Anywhere in the city, past 12:00 AM. Do you think it's safe to just stroll around in the quiet night or think there's a high chance you'll meet some unfortunate end?
    I remember seeing a documentary on LA, where this bloke had been to the cinema with his girlfriend. They were walking home through an alley at around midnight, when they got surrounded by a load of people, the girl realised the man was part of this gang, so she ran into a house to escape them but they got in as well.

I can't recall exactly what happened at the end, but I do remember the documentary was narrated by Vincent Price.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Anywhere in the city, past 12:00 AM. Do you think it's safe to just stroll around in the quiet night or think there's a high chance you'll meet some unfortunate end?
    depend are you glaring at peoples especially latinos?
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    This is what i was wearing when i got mugged, go on, tell me i was asking for it.
    Haha nice, whats in the bag with the dollar sign?

Deleted
    I travelled the streets of Birmingham at 2am, LA is nothing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    GBP to confuse folk

What part of LA? Some yes, some no.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Muffins? /10chars

Depends where you are walking in LA and if you are female.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Depends where you are walking in LA and if you are female.
    men get raped too

10+ Year Old Account
    Come to Florida if you want to be scared. There's a reason a lot of the shows on Investigate Discovery & Crimes and Investigations channel have episodes about a crime in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Come to Florida if you want to be scared. There's a reason a lot of the shows on Investigate Discovery & Crimes and Investigations channel have episodes about a crime in Florida.
    Yeah, but the majority of Florida is fine though. Every story you see almost always involves Miami-Dade, which is a total shithole.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    When I went to Florida the only thing to worry about after dark was a gator in a car park