Want to get into hardware repair.

So I'm working currently in the IT department here at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. I've also worked in the IT department at the little community college department. However most of what I've done thus far is software support and some desktop support. Nothing too complicated. However I'd like to start getting into more hardware oriented stuff. I have my associates degree in Systems and Networking support and I'm majoring in Electronics and Computer engineering technology here at BGSU.

So I'd like to get started on practicing with hardware repair. Phones, Laptops, Desktops etc. I'm starting to think that the best way to go about it will be to start buying cheap broken items like phones and laptops and just start teaching myself to repair them. Replacing screens, internal parts etc. etc.

Is this a good route to go? Any advice from people who know would be great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good job to do on the side to get money I think. Not a career job in my opinion.

The business is very hard to survive in. There's so many computer repair shops that open and close in my town every 1-2 years. There's maybe one that's been around for 5+ years off the top of my head, and another 5+ around town that failed.

The Best Buy Geek Squad is a ripoff, but they're pretty much a household name now, so you would have to compete with them.

I used to do this on the side and I found it was hardly worth the time anymore. Computers and other devices are so dirt cheap now they are almost disposable, people just throw them away and buy new ones rather than getting them fixed these days (what a wasteful society we've become). Sure you can make some money at it but I agree with crazymack, you probably shouldn't count on making a career out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a chance, take a automation course if your college offers it and see if you like it or not. Working in the automation industry is a good mix of working with hardware but also knowing the software that uses and runs on said hardware.

Its not everyone's cup of tea but the automation industry has been good to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are probably better off in another field like an electrician apprenticeship. But, the important part is that you are enjoying the work that you are doing.

Hardware repair is great to know...for yourself or some friends and family. Starting your own hardware repair business isn't really sustainable though. Maybe if you worked for a company and got calls to fix high end big company stuff, but to fix people's phone screens and clean out a computer tower? Not gonna make enough + there's a million others out there.

Not really looking to make it a business or a career. Just would like to add it to my list of skills that I can repair them. The phone repairs I mean.

Oh lol don't buy your own stuff to work with then. I mean I guess you can buy used stuff off ebay or amazon and mess them up, and try to watch some online videos or read online websites.

I'd think working part time at a computer repair shop would be MUCH better, though. Or even intern.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Oh lol don't buy your own stuff to work with then. I mean I guess you can buy used stuff off ebay or amazon and mess them up, and try to watch some online videos or read online websites.

I'd think working part time at a computer repair shop would be MUCH better, though. Or even intern.
    Possibly. Though I don't have time for an internship with my school and work schedule. I'm currently at school or at work at the school in some combination for about 12 hours a day every day. I'm hoping to have some more time next semester though. I just notice alot of broken iphone 5s and stuff on ebay. thought turn around on fixing them might make me a little money.

I've been hinting at the hardware department at the college that I'd like to do some work in there. Maybe they'll take me soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hard to say, I do all my own repairs, including BGA processors, but I have been a tech for 20 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as a hobby goes there may be a maker space in your community where you can learn to solder and do other repairs but as far as career wise try to get involved in something a little more technical. Repair skills will make you employ able but FPGA programming will as well.

Now that I think about it, the only PC/phone repair shop that's survived in my town for 5+ years has only survived because they "branched out". Aside from phone/PC repair they also sell bongs, water pipes, paraphernalia, and also used games. Weird, I know.. but there's always 1-2 people inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by crazymack View Post
    If you have a chance, take a automation course if your college offers it and see if you like it or not. Working in the automation industry is a good mix of working with hardware but also knowing the software that uses and runs on said hardware.

Its not everyone's cup of tea but the automation industry has been good to me.
    Plus, when everybody else's jobs have been taken by robots, you'll still have one because everybody will need people that know how to program them.

I'd look into becoming a bench technician somewhere. It will be more steady and reliable then working at a computer shop/freelancing as you tend to do more work for businesses/manufacturers, such as refurbishing parts. However I'm not too sure what it would entail getting there as it would depend on where you live and what experience/certifications you have. I'd talk to some of the instructors at BG, especially if they have someone who teaches A+ courses or something similar as I'm sure they would have connections or know someone who could help you get your foot in the door.

You are 3E student and want to get in hardware repairing? What's wrong with people's vision these days. Why not find a part-time job in one of the engineering companies in your town?