Profession advice/general advice

A bit of a repost from the pally forums because I feel like this might be the more appropriate place for it.

Basically I'm planning on returning to WoW and playing my Prot Pally for WoD. At the moment she has full herb/mining but I think having a primary profession is going to be a lot more useful when the expack hits (correct me if I'm wrong).

So I thought I'd ask you guys, who are infinitely more knowledgeable on the state of the game and assumedly the expansion as well, what your thoughts were:

Which do i drop, mining or herb?
    What do i pick up? Alch? BS? I should mention I have a hunter with full inscription, so if it complements that then mores the better.

Super special bonus question: If you had roughly a month and a half to kill before the expansion, what would be the best way to spend it in terms of preparation? I mean, I could run LFR in 2 year old gear until I'm blue in the face but that doesn't really strike me as appealing - any other suggestions for ways to waste my time? Maybe even something that would benefit my character in the long run?

Any and all responses appreciated.

Yeah, professions in WoD. =/

Okay, you're prot, so are you a raider, dungeon runner or pvp flag carrier? Professions still need a lot of work so it's very hard to work out what professions are "good" although jewelcrafting has been pretty mediocre since beta release. Alchemy for flasks for raiding would be pretty good since there is a limit to how many items you can now make in a day.

Bonus Answer: Gold. Gold. Gold. Upgrading garrisons costs gold. Someone with the beta could calculate how much it costs to get everything to level three. There are several new mounts that cost 5k gold each and one is 50k gold if that's your thing.

Once professions are finished we will know how many mats per day will be needed and how grindy work orders will be, work orders are still being worked on for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Xentronium View Post
    Yeah, professions in WoD. =/

Okay, you're prot, so are you a raider, dungeon runner or pvp flag carrier? Professions still need a lot of work so it's very hard to work out what professions are "good" although jewelcrafting has been pretty mediocre since beta release. Alchemy for flasks for raiding would be pretty good since there is a limit to how many items you can now make in a day.
    I'm planning on raiding and spam dungeon running, probably won't be top tier so don't need like double crafting professions for the bonus or anything but a decent profession to help me pve and get a bit of gold on the side wouldn't go amiss.

Yeah I thought Alch might help since I already have a scribe so I can cross-farm mats on both characters for whatever I'm feeling easy for, just don't want to throw away mining if BS/JC is going to be head and shoulders superior for character progression (even if you can only wear 3 crafted items at a time).

Bonus Answer: Gold. Gold. Gold. Upgrading garrisons costs gold. Someone with the beta could calculate how much it costs to get everything to level three. There are several new mounts that cost 5k gold each and one is 50k gold if that's your thing.
    Kind of an obvious answer but I did ask for that. Farming gold is about as interesting as running LFR, albeit with less retards. Might be something I consider though if I really get desperate, thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    Kind of an obvious answer but I did ask for that. Farming gold is about as interesting as running LFR, albeit with less retards. Might be something I consider though if I really get desperate, thanks for your input.
    Yeah, I know. :P

But if you're largely a "self funded" player you could usually get away without spending any real amount of money in previous expansions. Not in WoD though, with garrisons being what they are (money sinks) and iffy returns on the AH. We shall see what Blizz do in these next few months.

Yeah I'm definitely usually a self-funded player - excuse me if this comes off as ignorant but are garrisons pretty mandatory then?

I knew they gave you a couple bonuses but thought largely it was an "if you wanted to" sort of addition, not an "omg you didnt enchant your gear noob" kind of thing.

Should I be taking this a lot more seriously?

I would drop Herbalism for Blacksmithing so that you can get a head start on crafting your three epic pieces. Build the Forge small plot in your Garrison at the start as well for more daily cd soulbound mats + the ability to buy the armor upgrade kits to 655 and 665.

As for Garrisons themselves, if you're a player whose endgame isn't raid content then the Garrison isn't as much of an importance and you can have more fun with what you build there. I'd still suggest getting a Forge though since you can either craft the 640 gear to sell on the AH or make the armor upgrade kits if you have a steady supply of Savage Blood. The following is what I'm planning on doing:

Level 1

First Small Plot = crafting profession related to your armor type

First Large Plot = whatever it is that the game forces you to build (Barracks?) as you will not be able to change this until much later.

Level 2

Second Small Plot = Salvage Yard. This will allow you to upgrade/outfit your followers, which will be important in doing the rare follower missions that can reward raid gear.

First Medium Plot = Barn if you will be reaching Nagrand before you get the Garrison to level 3 (my understanding that you can only trap Nagrand beasts), otherwise the Inn.

Level 3

Third Small Plot = Your choice. I imagine many will pick either the Enchanter's Study (so as to de stuff) or the Storage building

Second Medium Plot = whatever you didn't build that was mentioned in Level 2

First Large Plot = Can be changed at this point but the Barracks is pretty good to have since more followers. Your call on what to do.

Second Large Plot = Your choice but I imagine most everyone will be picking either the Stables or Mage Tower.

As for medium plots, I've seen some people say they're going with the Lumber Mill instead of the Inn since better resource generation. I'm probably not going to bother since I haven't noticed a serious shortage of Garrison Resources and the Apexis Crystal armor needs, at minimum, 14k crystals to get a single armor piece to 655. Not enough for me to care since it'll compete with either more Followers and Savage Blood generation.
    Last edited by Trubo; 2014-09-25 at 06:43 AM.

If you're in a raiding guild and not just doing LFR you can pretty much ignore crafting your own gear. Raids open about 2.5 weeks into WoD and upgrading crafted gear to i665 may take longer than that if you're not focusing on garrisons, although that might be good for filling in gaps.

And yes, if you care at all about your professions you will need garrisons to learn new patterns, and the free mats are always nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    I would drop Herbalism for Blacksmithing so that you can get a head start on crafting your three epic pieces. Build the Forge small plot in your Garrison at the start as well for more daily cd soulbound mats + the ability to buy the armor upgrade kits to 655 and 665.

As for Garrisons themselves, if you're a player whose endgame isn't raid content then the Garrison isn't as much of an importance and you can have more fun with what you build there.
    Raiding is definitely my end game, sorry if I left any confusion around that. I just probably won't be doing heroic modes in the second week trying to make top 10 clears in the world.

So what I'm taking away from this is:

1. BS is probably worth a shot, best possible scenario I make some cash and get some upgrades too, worst case scenario I get some upgrades to farm for.
    2. If you want to raid Garrison is basically mandatory, missing out is likely to leave you behind in gear as well as gold.
    3. Garrison is going to be pricy to upgrade, so I want to have a decent stack of gold heading into the expansion. Looks like it will be around 10k according to this thread http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14525572718

So basically its looking like have at least 10k per toon prior to xpack for garrison to get started ASAP and due to the new restrictions on crafting/crafted/jc slots the professions are too up in the air at the moment to really pick a lucrative winner so I may as well bet on upgrades.

Sound about right? Did I miss anything?

- - - Updated - - -

If you're in a raiding guild and not just doing LFR you can pretty much ignore crafting your own gear.
    Is this like a good raiding guild? Or like an average raiding guild?

My memories from MOP launch tell me that I ran MSV in the second week and only got one boss down, in the next week i only added 2 more to that list. With that sort of progression in mind (unless something has changed) would crafting still be negligible?

Is this like a good raiding guild? Or like an average raiding guild?

My memories from MOP launch tell me that I ran MSV in the second week and only got one boss down, in the next week i only added 2 more to that list. With that sort of progression in mind (unless something has changed) would crafting still be negligible?
    This time around you'll have normal (formerly flex) and heroic (formerly normal) from the beginning so you can fill gaps from heroic gear with normal runs. Highmaul raid drops 640/655/670/685 and Blackrock Foundry will drop 650/665/680/695. Your guild should be good enough to not have to worry too much about crafted gear, RNG gods willing.

Deleted
    I say ditch herb for JC. It will be the only profession that will be able to craft tanking/healing gear in WoD(except for the LW cloak, and BS wep), so the gear will probably stay relevant longer, and people also need new neck/ring for each spec .
    And JC is also the ONLY profession where you can upgrade the gear without needing to have had the Barn lvl 3 for at least 15 days.
    And as an extra plus, the materials needed to craft the "stat-reroll" stuff also seems to be way cheaper for JC.

And don't worry about the profession bonus'. They will be gone in WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by wilsim View Post
    I say ditch herb for JC. It will be the only profession that will be able to craft tanking/healing gear in WoD(except for the LW cloak, and BS wep), so the gear will probably stay relevant longer, and people also need new neck/ring for each spec .
    And JC is also the ONLY profession where you can upgrade the gear without needing to have had the Barn lvl 3 for at least 15 days.
    And as an extra plus, the materials needed to craft the "stat-reroll" stuff also seems to be way cheaper for JC.

And don't worry about the profession bonus'. They will be gone in WoD.
    Hmmm. I'm getting mixed feedback on the whole JC thing. Half the people seem to think less slots = not a good idea, and then we have the above.

Hmmm. I'm getting mixed feedback on the whole JC thing. Half the people seem to think less slots = not a good idea, and then we have the above.
    We don't really know how rare the gem sockets will become.

http://wod.wowhead.com/spells=11.755...Bcrs=6%3Bcrv=0

That list shows the best gems would take around 2.5 to 5 days to craft one gem for example. The rings and necklaces take twice as long and upgrades around twice as long again. You might get lucky with raid drops in that time. If your guild is good enough to clear content without gear you won't need the crafted items, and you might only end up with 3 or 4 gem sockets in gear or 20 days' worth of work orders needed. We don't really know the figures on gem slots, darnit.

Deleted

http://wod.wowhead.com/spells=11.755...Bcrs=6%3Bcrv=0

That list shows the best gems would take around 2.5 to 5 days to craft one gem for example. The rings and necklaces take twice as long and upgrades around twice as long again. You might get lucky with raid drops in that time. If your guild is good enough to clear content without gear you won't need the crafted items, and you might only end up with 3 or 4 gem sockets in gear or 20 days' worth of work orders needed. We don't really know the figures on gem slots, darnit.
    And that is still WAY faster than any other profession, because you don't Savage Blood. And it does not matter at all that it is restricted to few slots, since you will only be able to have 3 pieces of crafted gear equipped. 665 healing/tanking will be worth a fortune, and they will probably be able to be upgraded in the next tier.
    The changes to main armor(now changes main stats based on spec) also means that a lot more people will use their off-spec, and therefore increasing the need for rings/necks in general.

Raiding is definitely my end game, sorry if I left any confusion around that. I just probably won't be doing heroic modes in the second week trying to make top 10 clears in the world.

So what I'm taking away from this is:

1. BS is probably worth a shot, best possible scenario I make some cash and get some upgrades too, worst case scenario I get some upgrades to farm for.
    2. If you want to raid Garrison is basically mandatory, missing out is likely to leave you behind in gear as well as gold.
    3. Garrison is going to be pricy to upgrade, so I want to have a decent stack of gold heading into the expansion. Looks like it will be around 10k according to this thread http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14525572718

So basically its looking like have at least 10k per toon prior to xpack for garrison to get started ASAP and due to the new restrictions on crafting/crafted/jc slots the professions are too up in the air at the moment to really pick a lucrative winner so I may as well bet on upgrades.

Sound about right? Did I miss anything?
    You won't really need to stockpile gold as the quests were giving gold equivalent to MoP quests at 90 if I'm remembering correctly.

Setting aside the gem socket thing, JC is only worth picking up if you're a Healer so that you can craft a Neck + 2x Rings with Spirit on them. For everyone else, the stat budget on these items is inferior to all other crafted gear. Granted I wasn't aware that JC goods don't require Savage Blood for their upgrades, unlike other professions, so perhaps that'll be big enough to change your point of view.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought sockets were akin to tertiary roll on raid gear drops. Roughly 10% chance of having a tertiary stat (WF, socket, and/or tert stat).
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post

As for Garrisons themselves, if you're a player whose endgame isn't raid content then the Garrison isn't as much of an importance and you can have more fun with what you build there. I'd still suggest getting a Forge though since you can either craft the 640 gear to sell on the AH or make the armor upgrade kits if you have a steady supply of Savage Blood. The following is what I'm planning on doing:

Level 1

First Small Plot = crafting profession related to your armor type

First Large Plot = whatever it is that the game forces you to build (Barracks?) as you will not be able to change this until much later.

Level 2

Second Small Plot = Salvage Yard. This will allow you to upgrade/outfit your followers, which will be important in doing the rare follower missions that can reward raid gear.

First Medium Plot = Barn if you will be reaching Nagrand before you get the Garrison to level 3 (my understanding that you can only trap Nagrand beasts), otherwise the Inn.

Level 3

Third Small Plot = Your choice. I imagine many will pick either the Enchanter's Study (so as to de stuff) or the Storage building

Second Medium Plot = whatever you didn't build that was mentioned in Level 2

First Large Plot = Can be changed at this point but the Barracks is pretty good to have since more followers. Your call on what to do.

Second Large Plot = Your choice but I imagine most everyone will be picking either the Stables or Mage Tower.

As for medium plots, I've seen some people say they're going with the Lumber Mill instead of the Inn since better resource generation. I'm probably not going to bother since I haven't noticed a serious shortage of Garrison Resources and the Apexis Crystal armor needs, at minimum, 14k crystals to get a single armor piece to 655. Not enough for me to care since it'll compete with either more Followers and Savage Blood generation.
    hey,

how did you manage to get your garrison to tier3 at around nagrand leveling?
    I dinged 100 like 3 days ago, finished nagrand after that and I am still 800 resources short on t3, still waiting for my lumber mill to produce more,
    am I missing something maybe? I killed quite a few rares and I did complete most, if not all quests.
    (I dont have the salvage buildung, is that it maybe?)

edit: to provide some JC feedback;
    I will stick to this proff, people only see that gemslots are reduced, but the far bigger point is; you cannot prospect WoD-ores and gem-creation is bound to daily CDs, it is WAY slower to make gems, the best gems can only be crafted by a JC and not by a garrison, so if you want highest tier gems, they are probably costly.
    I can also see people spamming hc instances in preperation for raiding until they have a good amount of socket slots, so in the very first weeks and also over the whole raidtier I can see JC making gold.
    Last edited by mmocd2f7bc5b1b; 2014-09-28 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nocfg View Post
    hey,

how did you manage to get your garrison to tier3 at around nagrand leveling?
    I dinged 100 like 3 days ago, finished nagrand after that and I am still 800 resources short on t3, still waiting for my lumber mill to produce more,
    am I missing something maybe? I killed quite a few rares and I did complete most, if not all quests.
    (I dont have the salvage buildung, is that it maybe?)
    I didn't have (and still don't) have much time to test out the beta so it was mostly a note for myself as to what building I should go for. If resource generation tapers off that fast (I had plenty for second tier buildings and garrison last time I was on) then I'll probably go for the Lumbermill as well, forgoing the Inn.