View Poll Results: Shaolin Monk Vs. MMA fighter. Who would win?

Voters
469. This poll is closed
  • Shaolin Monk

318 67.80%
  • MMA Fighter

151 32.20%
Page 1 of 25
... LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Shaolin Monk Vs. MMA fighter.

Who would win, and why would they win?

I would go with the Shaolin Monk. The amount of training they undergo is incredible. They spend their whole lives perfecting their techniques, they are true super-humans imo.

No arena, no weapons, no padding, no rules, think of it as a kinda "street" fight.
    Last edited by Scryers; 2012-02-28 at 05:01 PM.

Deleted
    Hard to say without context or a who vs. who,

one thing I'd like to note though is that as much as Hollywood likes the small guy beating the big guy, physical discrepancy is actually very difficult to overcome.

If we're talking about a 120 pound chinese vs. a 250 pound wrestler, I'd side with the wrestler.

Do they get to use weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post

one thing I'd like to note though is that as much as Hollywood likes the small guy beating the big guy, physical discrepancy is actually very difficult to overcome.

If we're talking about a 120 pound chinese vs. a 250 pound wrestler, I'd side with the wrestler.
    Never under estimate us midgets, it will be your downfall! *shakes fist*

If the monk can keep his distance, he'll win. But, IF a MMA fighter with good wrestling skills can grab the monk and take him down, he'll probably win. It usually happens this way when the two different fighting styles get together. The only variable is that most people see the flashy hands and feet speed, but not many people know what the SM can do in terms of holds and such.

In terms of pure skill, the MMA fighter would get splattered.

Regardless of all the pros and cons, I'd love to see a midget beat the crap out of a failed football player any day!
    Last edited by Balir; 2012-02-28 at 04:56 PM.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those who speak it" - George Orwell

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post

Weight means nothing, if anything, it would put the MMA fighter at a disadvantage. More weight would mean you're slower, sure strength helps, but it's useless if you can't even hit a guy, but even if the MMA fighter were able to hit the monk, I doubt that it would have much effect, considering Monks can break bits of metal over their bodies. I recently got back from China, and the teachers at a Shaolin monastery in Henan Province were incredible. I was invited to "spar" (wouldn't call it sparing, he was just demonstrating some defensive skills)with a Monk in training (Secular Disciple, I think), and every punch, kick, tackle I did, ended up with me on my ass, or in pain. This guy was only like 16-18, and was only about 60kg.
    Last edited by Scryers; 2012-02-28 at 04:57 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scryers View Post
    Who would win, and why would they win?

I would go with the Shaolin Monk. The amount of training they undergo is incredible. They spend their whole lives perfecting their techniques, they are true super-humans imo.
    Does the Shaolin monk use his bare hands or does he get to use any of the weapons they're trained in?
    Regardless, I'd put my money with the monk. They practice the ultimate defence.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Does the Shaolin monk use his bare hands or does he get to use any of the weapons they're trained in?
    Regardless, I'd put my money with the monk. They practice the ultimate defence.
    Just hand to hand, a MMA fighter wouldn't stand a chance if a Monk had any weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Scryers View Post
    Just hand to hand, a MMA fighter wouldn't stand a chance if a Monk had any weapon.
    The format of the fight will make a difference.

Such as:
    1. Weapons, if any.
    2. Size of the arena.
    3. Rules, if any
    Last edited by Purlina; 2012-02-28 at 04:58 PM.

I'd say monk, an MMA fighter against a someone as skilled as a monk will have to rely only on grappling. Said monk would be in trouble if the MMA got a hold of him, but I think the monk would have a much easier, much more educated ability to get away before that happens.

MMA fighters kicks/punches would be easily parried by the monk.

imo
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    I Think Brazilian JuJitsu has been proven to be the most effective fighting style to date. There is no way a Kung Fu master could handle a BJJ master. Its just not possible. Humans cannot block punches and grab wrists like Steven Segal in Hard To Kill. Nor can you land a Budhist Palm on someone with a knife trying to rob you.

If you go back to the early spectacle days of the UFC, you can notice that all of these mystical fighting styles were debunked with Mui Thai and BJJ.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2012-02-28 at 05:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    the person who knows how to fight or the big sweaty guy who rolls around on top of another big sweaty guy and claims its fights? MMA fighters may be strong, but the fighting style (as seen on TV used by 'professionals') is homo-erotic at best.

I want to see GSP vs monk
    or jones vs monk

or better yet somebody as big as rampage jackson vs monk cause I don't care what kind of hit you can take a rampage jackson full hit will make you see darkness

Deleted
    I was seriously hoping for an awesome video in this thread...

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    if we're talking about just your average 20 year olds I'd have to side with the MMA fighter.. since basically all MMA fighting is anymore is street brawling.. I kinda lost interest in the UFC thing once they started letting in the mixed styles and what not..

---------- Post added 2012-02-28 at 05:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I Think Brazilian JuJitsu has been proven to be the most effective fighting style to date. There is no way a Kung Fu master could handle a BJJ master. Its just not possible. Humans cannot block punches and grab wrists like Steven Segal in Hard To Kill. Nor can you land a Budhist Palm on someone with a knife trying to rob you.

If you go back to the early spectacle days of the UFC, you can notice that all of these mystical fighting styles were debunked with Mui Thai and BJJ.
    Ken Shamrock > Royce Gracie
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    I was seriously hoping for an awesome video in this thread...
    As of yet, there are no "proper" Shaolin Monk Vs. MMA fighter vids because Monk aren't allowed to compete in competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Nor can you land a Budhist Palm on someone with a knife trying to rob you.
    Why would the monk have to fight unarmed? Weapons are also part of their training.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Do they get to use weapons?
    That's really important, if they can then the monk is quite advantaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    if we're talking about just your average 20 year olds I'd have to side with the MMA fighter.. since basically all MMA fighting is anymore is street brawling.. I kinda lost interest in the UFC thing once they started letting in the mixed styles and what not..

---------- Post added 2012-02-28 at 05:03 PM ----------

Ken Shamrock > Royce Gracie
    Well, your talking about 1 fight. Which was a bad ass fight I might add. But Ken Shamrock is a skilled GR wrestler that uses many of the same techniques that a BJJ fighter uses.

Deleted

If we start to include weapons.