Seeking Advice on parts to buy for first build ($1000-$1400 budget)

Hello, I've posted versions of this on the WoW forums and on TomsHardware, and am posting here as well in the hopes of getting a few different opinions, then listing those builds side by side to make a choice. I have not built my own computer before, but I have -some- experience with the hardware, just not enough to know what parts would be good for my needs and my budget. So here goes.

Budget: Around $1000 would be ideal. I -have- a keyboard and monitor, but would like to upgrade at least the monitor, so I'm bumping it up to around $1200 for that stuff, if needed. My absolute cap, give or take a few bucks is $1400, but again, I'd prefer (IF IT WOULD MEET MY WANTS) to keep it closer to $1000-1200.

What I want: Something that can run WoW in WoD on Ultra settings at 60+ fps, AS WELL AS run new games at high settings and high fps. I want the monitor, if I end up getting one, to have a decent screen size (doesn't need to be insane) with a decent resolution. I'm on a laptop with fairly low resolution right now, and the amount of screen real estate my actionbars and chatbox take up is ridiculous. I want to have space to play with that kind of thing.

I would be greatly appreciative if someone with the knowledge of PC parts could give me a list of parts that would fit my budget and my desires, a link to the current windows OS at a decent price would be appreciated as well, but I'm sure I can do that myself otherwise.

Assuming I get at least one good response from each of the three forums, I plan on putting those builds side by side for comparison before making any orders. Thanks in advance to anyone able to help me out!

If I'm being unrealistic with my budget and what I want, do not be afraid to let me know.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Someone might be able to come along and do a bit better than I, but here is one build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.98 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.49 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX Video Card ($329.98 @ NCIX US)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.51 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Dell P2314H 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($164.00 @ B&H)
    Total: $1191.88
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-29 19:35 EDT-0400

That price does include a decent monitor, though not W8.1. If someone could remind me of the link to get the OS cheaply, that would be lovely (Around $15 I believe)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Deleted
    This should do it, should you have any concerns pls do ask.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.98 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 87.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.98 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($348.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Dell P2414H 60Hz 23.8" Monitor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1419.12
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-29 19:36 EDT-0400

Can anyone point out any glaring problems with this build here (Idrinkwhiterussians's post)? How would it run WoW, at least?
    I have a link to Windows 8.1 already, and this price range would be preferable to $1400+.
    Anyone have any parts they would recommend swapping out to save money but still preserve performance?

10+ Year Old Account
    The machine I posted is, well, basically overkill for WoW. The real performance gains will be from the CPU that can be overclocked.

As for other games, the 970 is a bit above 780 for performance before being OCd, and close to a 780Ti when OCd.

One thing you could do to save a bit of $ now is to leave off the HDD and just install one later.

Let's assume I don't plan on overclocking anything, does that change anything?

Also, can you explain to my why there are two storage components in the first place?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you do NOT OC anything, you will get a bit less performance in WoW. The reason for the 4690k (k denoting being able to OC) means you can get that boost of performance when you feel like you need it. As for the GPU, you do not need to OC it at all for 1080. It does however have the juice to power higher grade monitors, should you upgrade there.

Now, about the two storage spots, the HDD would be used for data (movies, wma, etc) while the SSD would be for os/programs/games (things that would do well loading quicker, or could really use faster loads). I cold boot to password screen in about 12s from my SSD as an example. Data like movies and music really do not require super fast load times, but can take a lot of room, hence the second storage device.

Alright, for the time being I'll just get the SSD, seeing as how on my currect comp. I'm not even over 200 GB yet.

As for overclocking, if its simple enough, could you explain how that works here? I wouldn't mind doing it, but I don't want to try it and damage parts of my shiny new computer because I don't know what I'm doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    To OC is simple enough, but it takes a lot of patience to get it just right (if you are actually going to do it for yourself and not let your MB do it for you). There are quite a few guides out there about how to OC the newest processors.

Doing your own OC will almost always net you better results than letting your MB do it for you. I suggest taking a bit of time and researching it before trying.