Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

My thoughts as to why Garrisons is the only other content on Draenor.

Alright, it took me many months to figure this big shocker out, you'll never believe it. Alright, here's the big secret as to why there's little end-game content outside of Garrisons, alright? Lean in REEAAALL close, this is gonna knock your Warforged Boots off... You listening? Alright...

IT'S POSSIBLY THE MOST DIFFICULT PIECE OF CONTENT THEY HAD TO PROGRAM.

What have players wanted since Day 1, hm? Player Housing. What has Blizzard been saying in response to every single one? They could do it, but it would cost them a raid tier. There's literally a MONUMENT to the content lost programming this into the game. And on top of that, this is an entirely new group of people who've, as stated by blizzard, never worked on an MMO before. So for them to program this giant piece of the game, something that players have been BEGGING for for 8-9 years, and with all this effort being put into this content, to this content millions of Warcraft players have been asking for, what do you do?

"Omg Warlords has absolutely NO content unsub."
    They made 10 new levels.
    Completely revamped character models, and plenty of other new NPC models.
    A new Questing system.
    A new continent.
    6 new dungeons and 2 new raids (With more on the way.)
    And some kick-ass villains that, yes, are pretty overdone at this point, but they're still pretty cool! They put actual goddamn EFFORT into this expansion to give you something that wasn't Cataclysm or Mists, and you just can't have the goddamn patience or consideration to just LET THEM TRY TO FIX WHAT THEY'VE DONE WRONG.
    Oh, yeah, and of course the thing that's sucking up all the content, and also Blizzards only gift to those wanting Player Housing, THE GARRISON. Which is probably more then enough to keep you occupied until 6.1, when some content will arrive once again.

If you all want to sit back and whine about Blizzard putting more effort into something most players have been wanting since day 1, instead of the content they've been getting for 10 years, that's fine. I'm just going to sit in my Garrison, on my Ground Mount, actually enjoying a game I've been enjoying and have been dedicated to for about 5 years now. See you all on Draenor.

P.S.
    Before I get the obvious response, let me null them now,
    "I didn't want Player Housing or Garrisons!" Good for you. I'm not talking about you though, I'm talking about the hypocrites who're bitching about something it's obvious the WoW community has wanted since forever. What the community wants is like a Child having to choose between a Monkey or Giraffe Doll, and when he chooses the Monkey, he starts crying because he also wanted the Giraffe. You can't have a big, massive piece of content alongside other content, sometimes you just need to focus all your time on this big piece of content to make sure it doesn't fuck up.

"But Garrisons aren't Player Housing." You're part of the problem. You won't accept this gift from Blizzard because it's not exactly how you imagined it, so you choose to ignore it.

"*Literally anything about Flying Mounts*" LEAVE.
    Isn't it fitting WoW really took a nosedive after 'the Cataclysm'?

10+ Year Old Account
    So what's the point of this thread?

Improper use of the word literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrotix View Post
    Alright, it took me many months to figure this big shocker out, you'll never believe it. Alright, here's the big secret as to why there's little end-game content outside of Garrisons, alright? Lean in REEAAALL close, this is gonna knock your Warforged Boots off... You listening? Alright...

IT'S POSSIBLY THE MOST DIFFICULT PIECE OF CONTENT THEY HAD TO PROGRAM.

What have players wanted since Day 1, hm? Player Housing. What has Blizzard been saying in response to every single one? They could do it, but it would cost them a raid tier. There's literally a MONUMENT to the content lost programming this into the game. And on top of that, this is an entirely new group of people who've, as stated by blizzard, never worked on an MMO before. So for them to program this giant piece of the game, something that players have been BEGGING for for 8-9 years, and with all this effort being put into this content, to this content millions of Warcraft players have been asking for, what do you do?

"Omg Warlords has absolutely NO content unsub."
    They made 10 new levels.
    Completely revamped character models, and plenty of other new NPC models.
    A new Questing system.
    A new continent.
    6 new dungeons and 2 new raids (With more on the way.)
    And some kick-ass villains that, yes, are pretty overdone at this point, but they're still pretty cool! They put actual goddamn EFFORT into this expansion to give you something that wasn't Cataclysm or Mists, and you just can't have the goddamn patience or consideration to just LET THEM TRY TO FIX WHAT THEY'VE DONE WRONG.
    Oh, yeah, and of course the thing that's sucking up all the content, and also Blizzards only gift to those wanting Player Housing, THE GARRISON. Which is probably more then enough to keep you occupied until 6.1, when some content will arrive once again.

If you all want to sit back and whine about Blizzard putting more effort into something most players have been wanting since day 1, instead of the content they've been getting for 10 years, that's fine. I'm just going to sit in my Garrison, on my Ground Mount, actually enjoying a game I've been enjoying and have been dedicated to for about 5 years now. See you all on Draenor.

P.S.
    Before I get the obvious response, let me null them now,
    "I didn't want Player Housing or Garrisons!" Good for you. I'm not talking about you though, I'm talking about the hypocrites who're bitching about something it's obvious the WoW community has wanted since forever. What the community wants is like a Child having to choose between a Monkey or Giraffe Doll, and when he chooses the Monkey, he starts crying because he also wanted the Giraffe. You can't have a big, massive piece of content alongside other content, sometimes you just need to focus all your time on this big piece of content to make sure it doesn't fuck up.

"But Garrisons aren't Player Housing." You're part of the problem. You won't accept this gift from Blizzard because it's not exactly how you imagined it, so you choose to ignore it.

"*Literally anything about Flying Mounts*" LEAVE.
    Hmmm sounds like someone has been told all of this in the past, and is now irate that he was proven wrong, and wants the world to think that all of this was his own thought process.

15+ Year Old Account
    This thread just reeks of bait.

Thinking that a feature is a "gift" from Blizzard is hilarious.

Garrison is not one type of content. It weaves together lots of things that you would otherwise likely do in the world, like farming mats, rares, reputation, pets, items and possibly dungeons. Peoples' hate on Garrisons are IMO completely baseless because you don't "Imma go do some Garrison b m8".

All the Garrison does is encourage you to explore the world of Draenor like you would otherwise, now just with another goal. For myself I hope they add a lot more neutral content that further encourages exploring and certain activities, based in the Garrison or not, but hating the Garrison just for what it is is complete ignorance.

It is the only major new feature because every expansion in the past has added features that continue to be added to with each expansion. Bloating the game with a new class/race or a completely new gameplay element is not healthy for the game in the long term.

Would you rather they leave features like pet battles/LFR/Brawler's guild to rot instead of updating them?

Sure Garrisons are a hard thing to develop, but it is the updating of everything else that takes the most amount of time.
    Frequent Poster on Fluid Druid, The best Feral community out there

My Character

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saft View Post
    Garrison is not one type of content. It weaves together lots of things that you would otherwise likely do in the world, like farming mats, rares, reputation, pets, items and possibly dungeons. Peoples' hate on Garrisons are IMO completely baseless because you don't "Imma go do some Garrison b m8".

All the Garrison does is encourage you to explore the world of Draenor like you would otherwise, now just with another goal. For myself I hope they add a lot more neutral content that further encourages exploring and certain activities, based in the Garrison or not, but hating the Garrison just for what it is is complete ignorance.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Garrisons are a great combination of management/timesink, questhub and alternate content outside of raiding/PvP'ing. I think the people who shout the loudest are the people who likes to pretend the game is for them and them alone and anyone having interrests they do not should not be playing the game that is theirs and theirs alone =)

Garrisons ARE NOT Player Housing

Garrisons are not in any way, shape or form, "player housing". Blizzard will be the first to admit this. I too am one of the players that wished for true player housing. I wanted a little place to call my own, one where I could retreat to, when needing to do some crafting, or checking mail, sending mail, etc, etc. Also a place that was extremely customizable. I wanted a place where Blizzard gave me a huge list of furniture to furnish the place with, or at the very least a way to EARN those items, either by quests, buying them with my own gold, etc, etc.

What I certainly never envisioned was a "mandatory" feature, forced upon me, due to quest lines steering me to participate in and build one, mandatory from the stand point that if i don't have one, I am going to be at a serious disadvantage compared to other players who invest the time and resources required by garrisons. Also mandatory from the standpoint that I can't choose different architecture, or furnishings, but instead oh boy i get to PLOP down 1 pre-defined building and I have to live with how Blizzard designed it.

Velen

Deleted
    Have fun in your solo instanced area with NPC's around you instead of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Velen The Just View Post
    Garrisons are not in any way, shape or form, "player housing". Blizzard will be the first to admit this. I too am one of the players that wished for true player housing. I wanted a little place to call my own, one where I could retreat to, when needing to do some crafting, or checking mail, sending mail, etc, etc. Also a place that was extremely customizable. I wanted a place where Blizzard gave me a huge list of furniture to furnish the place with, or at the very least a way to EARN those items, either by quests, buying them with my own gold, etc, etc.

What I certainly never envisioned was a "mandatory" feature, forced upon me, due to quest lines steering me to participate in and build one, mandatory from the stand point that if i don't have one, I am going to be at a serious disadvantage compared to other players who invest the time and resources required by garrisons. Also mandatory from the standpoint that I can't choose different architecture, or furnishings, but instead oh boy i get to PLOP down 1 pre-defined building and I have to live with how Blizzard designed it.

Velen
    Why would you think this would be something added to WoW though? Sure, maybe other MMOs, but I mean it took them 2.5 xpacs to add minimum gear customization.

WoW always has and always will be about character progression in some form or another. Any content they add will be based around that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    This always baffles me when I see it about Garrisons. So does Shrine or Stormwind feel better just because you see other player characters and only because of that? What about serpent daily hub that rarely has other players in it now? Or any other quest hub that you don't see players? Garrisons can also have group members show up and do have some group content in the invasion game play.

So have fun in your non-instanced zones with players who don't acknowledge you or you them.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Toast515 View Post
    Improper use of the word literally.
    No, there is actually a monument to the content lost programming.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FraterN View Post
    No, there is actually a monument to the content lost programming.
    No exactly. It isn't a monument to lost programming but a monument to the whining about perceived lost content. Hence Ray D Tear. The Tear is referencing the "crying" over a lost tier.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    This thread just reeks of bait.

Thinking that a feature is a "gift" from Blizzard is hilarious.
    It's essentially all the content, though fortunately for me, I'm super excited for it.

Now if only they would remove Warforged (because the RNG it adds is pointless and does nothing but add a carrot on a stick to chase) and give us the new transmog system they're working on, I'll be delighted.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    You mean NPCs that are programmed to actually attack things and help you instead of AFKing in fire and being whiny brats when their Loot Master doesn't give them loot for doing 15k DPS? By all means, if I could have raid/other progression in this manner, I could die happy. So many of these NPCs will be infinitely more helpful to me than a good 60-70% of players I have met in my 10 year adventure through WoW.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-10-02 at 02:36 AM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now if only garrisons were truly player housing... Oh wait!

10+ Year Old Account
    The only way it could be considered housing is if there was storage there.... I don't think there is though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    Now if only garrisons were truly player housing... Oh wait!
    If we could customize the aesthetics of our Garrison a bit more, I'd be so happy. I mean, fuck. Make a secondary profession of Carpentry that uses the Lumber Mill's Timber (so it's useful after you max out your Garrison) to craft furniture and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    The only way it could be considered housing is if there was storage there.... I don't think there is though.
    Stores your resources. Also buildings.

Can also house your bank and void storage if you pick a Storehouse.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Garrison's were never meant as player housing as that housing is out of place in WoW where everything has to do with character development. This is where Garrisons fit in is that they are:

A) A blowback to the Warcraft 3/2 era, and

B) Parallel progression for your character

As with everything you can choose not to participate in it but you will miss out of some character development, but for something that you only spend 5 minutes in a day then there is no reason to not do it.

I want more garrisons
    s
    One in Draenor, other in Azeroth, Other in Outland, other in Northrend and finally one more in Pandarea