Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Doesnt have any problems running full screen diablo, FPS didn't drop below 60.
    Will have a propper play with the OS tomorrow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by superfula View Post
    Completely false.
    Did you even read the article?

its never a good idea to get a newly released OS IMO. just get win8 with something that gets rid of metro (like classic shell) and youre good

Apart from metro being an absolute joke, the OS assuming you were an absolute retard at every turn, all the advanced menus hidden away, security options sucking, I always miss the aero look of W7 - I'm not upgrading.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurstbratgeraet View Post
    No one with a working brain would use anything other than Win7.

Please post productively and respectfully. Infracted. -Edge
    Ugh, this is turning into Apple vs Samsung over here. "People like things I don't like and therefore they must be bad!"

I hate that mentality so much. Its okay to not like things, its okay but don't be a dick about it. Its okay to not like things . . . but don't be a dick about the things you don't like!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I thought Win8s biggest innovation was the improvements to the Task Manager and Explorer (plus the under-the-hood changes). The-UI-formerly-known-as-Metro basically boils down to a place to keep your shortcuts without cluttering the desktop and I quite like it, but it isn't a major game-changer. The only real advantage is you can get mobile-type time-waster apps from a convenient store.
    Like seriously, metro goes away in two clicks. I don't get the hate. I turn on my computer, metro. I click desktop and there I am. Or alternatively, I can launch some other program I have pinned to it.

I really don't get it.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by zingar View Post
    its never a good idea to get a newly released OS IMO. just get win8 with something that gets rid of metro (like classic shell) and youre good
    I jumped to windows 8 immediatly on release. Never had issues with games or game performance, even still play and edit wc3 on it time to time.
    Not a fan of the full screen start screen, but I see windows 9 has it sort of built into the windows 7 style start menu, which looks awesome.
    I will likely adopt windows 9 in the first month of its release just like I did with W8.

Also windows 7 will die just like xp did, so if you refuse change, well, eventually it will be forced on you.
    (I enjoy many parts of windows 8, but the start screen is just terrible, fixed in windows 9 i believe)

Deleted
    I tend to think people who hate on 8 can't adapt to anything and probably should be re-evaluating their use of technology anyway. I don't know anyone reasonably computer literate that uses the start menu anyway, the search is faster in 8 and there a ton of additional hot-keys to make getting around easier. The metro interface is exactly a none issue, and if I want to check my mail in the morning or go straight into a game from boot its actually faster, and that's the only time I'll use it, otherwise its start key - first 2 or 3 letters of what I want, click, loaded done. If it's sluggish or was sluggish I can't really say, only experienced it on my own pc, partners, fathers, friends, (all of which are SSD based) and University ones which never have a problem, even though they themselves are slow machines.

It's hate for hate sake, and ultimately just stupidity, unlike xp to vista where vista wasn't an improvement in any way (at least until several service packs later), 8 actually improves on 7. That being said people with 7 I can understand not paying to upgrade as in gaming the differences arn't major, but better hardware support (especially where SSDs are concerned) isn't anything to dismiss out of fear of change. If 10 is anything like 8 at preview it will work pretty damn well (Not perfectly but hey) and again, if anything like 8 will be an incremental improvement rather than a massive "OMFG MUST UPGRADE OR CAN't DO THINGS EVER." which will boil down to each user deciding if they want to upgrade.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zingar View Post
    Many reasons to try a New OS. Especially in the early stage's of development. You get to learn about all the new features as they add them for one. also some of us have the perverse idea that using a secondary "unstabale" OS is actually quite fun. Especially when you are pushing it and trying to learn its limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkuri View Post
    I just hope they don't design this OS around a Phone / Tablet. Again.

Been using Win8 / 8.1 since November off and on depending which computer I'm using and where, and I hate pretty much everything about it, and it hasn't proven itself to be that much better.
    Laptop or Desktop...
    =\
    Don't even like it in it's Tablet form.

Oh look, Dx11.1!... Only if more than 10 games actually used it.

Too bad so many games are still using Dx9.
    It seems they are making it a mix of Win7 and Win8 UI
    Check this for info and some screenshots

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Wait, what?

10?

what happened to 9?

Is it the cool thing to do to skip numbers now? (looking at you NVIDIA!)

Oh and to the haters, windows 8 is great.
    It was too close to 8 so they had to skip it
    Jokes aside, it was "too good" so they decided to not break it by trying to use it for something...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Yes, yes. I'm planning on doing just that. I just don't want to throw away several hundred euros on some piece of tablet crap, so knowing whether I should go for 10 or perhaps even 7 would be cool at this point. Hence it's good to have some discussions about it.
    Personally, I would drop XP asap and just grab 7 or 8 depending on preference while waiting for 10 which seems to be far better than either.

Best news yet, copy and paste will work in cmd!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy View Post
    So many "8 is great" trolls in this thread. Windows 8's great innovation was the Metro desktop
    That was only the visual part of the GUI (and you could turn to the more classic desktop with the free 8.1 upgrade or with the shell app).
    Windows 8 had much more than only the Metro desktop. You are really ignorant if you reduce an operating system to the gui.

- Windows 8 can sync your user account settings across multiple PCs

- Social networking comes built into Windows 8's Modern UI, with the ability to share items between Modern UI apps.

- In Windows 8, Microsoft adds several improvements to multiple-monitor setups.

- Windows 8 brings all of your current file copy jobs into a single window, instead of managing multiple windows as Windows 7 does.

- Windows 8 has new refresh and reset features to improve personalized system images and reinstalls

- Windows 8 has "Storage Spaces" that lets you manage internal and external storage drives as if they were one massive drive called a storage pool.

- Windows 8 includes a new hybrid system that Microsoft says will dramatically improve boot times compared to Windows 7. (my Windows 8 is booting in about 15 seconds)

- In Windows 8, the GUI version of chkdsk can scan an active drive, something the Windows 7 GUI version can't do.

- Microsoft has upgraded the Windows Backup and Restore features of Windows 7 with a new, easier-to-use Windows 8 tool called File History.

- A new secure-boot process, enabled by default on all new Windows 8 PCs, will prevent unauthorized operating systems and malware from loading on your machine.

- PC Magazine networking and security analyst Fahmida Rashid considers Windows 8 "the most secure version of Windows yet."

- Improved power management in Windows 8 compared to Windows 7

- Improved Task Manager

Everything you get with Windows 7 is the same or improved with new features. All this together makes Windows 8.1 better than Windows 7. I think Windows 10 will conclude the idea of a unified OS for all plattforms.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    It seems they are making it a mix of Win7 and Win8 UI
    Check this for info and some screenshots
    I don't see any mix of windows 7 in here. Everything reeks of windows 8. which if a person likes the Win8 look and feel, they should love 10. If you loved the win7 look and feel, and didn't like Win 8's look, then 10 is not going to cut it. Adding start menu (a terrible version of the start menu) back and calling it a mix of win7 just feels wrong. After a day of use, I loaded classic shell on it, just like all the other Win8 installs. It's a bland start button, but better than what is currently offered in 10.

Personally I want to know why I can't just have the Win 7 interface on top of whatever under the hood improvements they make. It can't be that hard to offer out Aero and the desktop gallery and the previous interfaces, which they mostly did in the previous OS's. Why can't I download a Microsoft created Win7 theme? Microsoft has just gotten too far into their "We think this way is awesome and you're wrong if you don't like it" People love freedom and choices, seems Microsoft wants it too much of their way.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2014-10-04 at 12:51 AM.

Windows 10 also has DirectX 12 support.
    Here is a demo showing the fps advantages of that:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/arch...r-savings.aspx

When allowed to use equivalent power to DirectX 11, DirectX 12 can also yield 50% better FPS performance.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

I personally am still using Windows XP Pro, as I never was convinced about 7 being any better than XP for games, and then there was talk about 8 coming out and so I waited for that, only to find out it was some tablet shit, and so I decided to wait for the next one, and now here it is. XP has lost it's support, and it might be high time to get a new Windows, and specifically for gaming purposes, hence the thread on this subforum.
    Ditto. Unfortunately a few games (generally lazy ports of console games) won't run on XP anymore. Bioshock Infinite and Arkham City for example

I should really get 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Agzarah View Post
    regardless of how 10 turns out you should upgrade form XP to something more recent
    both 7 and 8 are a huge improvement over xp. maybe on release day they were worse but that was a long time ago. from what i can remember 7 uses a huge deal less resources and disk space than XP did, and windows 8 even less - presumable 10 will follow this trend, or at least use what is available more efficiently.
    I don't know what you're talking about, my XP install is 3Gb. What's Win7? 30Gb? 50Gb?

Windows 98 used about 1Gb (which was shitloads at the time incidentally). Every version of Windows is bigger than the last.

Meanwhile Ubuntu uses what, 500Mb? An OS does not have to be big at all, MS just bloats the living shit out of Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Agzarah View Post
    People forget that metro isnt the operating system, but is ONLY a UI.
    Microsoft is the one that doesn't know the difference between a UI and an OS. They sell every version of Windows on the UI.

The fact that Windows does not separate UI from OS so it can be modular and customisable is one of the prime reasons why it's such a piece of shit. That kind of thinking should never have left the 90s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    I really hope they don't plan to make Win10 the only option. Seems like they really lack something when you start holding DirectX hostage to the OS. I could understand why they said they didn't want to offer DX10 with Win XP. Really hard for them to justify holding DX12 from Win 7, which is why I still root for AMD mantle and a OpenGL resurgence.

You are really ignorant if you reduce an operating system to the gui.
    Tell that to MS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Lets be clear majority of the people don't ever bother using start menu and only thing they would use it for is to turn of their bloody computer. Microsoft knows this fact very well and hence I think even they where surprised that people wanted the start menu button so badly.
    I actually use mine all the time, you can access programs without having to minimise all your windows. In fact I hardly use the desktop anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

This is the way I use Windows, and would rather keep using it:

Completely clean desktop: http://i.imgur.com/uFX2Ssu.jpg
    Fully movable and resizable browser window, with a view of the desktop from behind it: http://i.imgur.com/Q6aY5Zm.jpg
    All the different software and even games open in windows all on top of each other and visible under each other: http://i.imgur.com/0Cp72Aa.jpg

Something about that just feels good to me. The whole idea of the Metro UI just doesn't work for me, not on a PC.
    The way you are currently looking at this you will never upgrade from XP for the rest of your life so long as your computer doesn't die on you. XP was a great OS but its time has come and gone. 7 is the easiest and most linear upgrade from XP, and will still have support until 2020. I'm not entirely sure what issues you were hearing about it, I've been using 7 since RTM and I've had no problems with it. I'm also not sure where you are getting that 7 is a couple hundred euros, a quick search online shows numerous stores that sell it for $50-70 USD.

Windows 10 TP is free and I am running it on my main computer at home right now. If they price the official release of it anything like they did with 8 initially when it came out it won't put you out that much either. The only problem I've run into with 10 so far is that the crappy Razer software only worked right after I installed it and hasn't worked since. Every other piece of software seems like they've been working with Microsoft to ensure they have their software in a relatively functional state I haven't played very many games on it yet, but I played D3 yesterday and today and had no lag, glitching, or crashes.
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/arch...r-savings.aspx

When allowed to use equivalent power to DirectX 11, DirectX 12 can also yield 50% better FPS performance.
    Yes, but it is not present yet in the preview.
    There is a separate test for dx12 as far as I understand.

A test written to take advantage is likely very different to actual performance in real games, which would I think need to be written to take advantage.
    Look at mantle and how only a small number of games try to take advantage, with varying results.

It is my understanding that just like mantle, this will be of most benefit to those with a poor CPU but good GPU.
    Since for a lot of people wow is CPU bound, then there "may" be potential for improvement there, but not for all games.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-10-04 at 01:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Well, this clearly shows how the programmers of Microsoft, do not stick to the rules of their own products :P
    1.01 : NT 1.01 - 1985
    2.0 : NT 2.0 - 1987
    3.0 : NT 3.00 - 1990
    95 : NT 4.00 - 1995
    98 : NT 4.10 - 1998
    2000 : NT 5.0 - 2000
    ME : NT 4.90 - 2000
    XP : NT 5.1 - 2001
    Vista : NT 6.0 - 2007
    7 : NT 6.1 - 2009
    8 : NT 6.2 - 2012
    10 : NT 6.4 - ~2015

What rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Lora Twinblade View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfveyXCsiA8#t=0
    they lost me at
    "that all those windows 7 users get a familiar experience on the devices they already have. but as we scale up to more capable devices, like touch devices"
    nah mouse keyboard > touch forever and ever and ever and evah
    Be passionate about the craft, achievements, events and community.
    But do not worship the machine, pedestal nor system.
    You cannot afford to be blind, for yourself and others.

Deleted
    I've been using 8/8.1 since last December when I got my new PC. Very little to complain about. I was on XP for the past 10 years or so.