Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Retarded has being considered a socially unacceptable and politically incorrect word regarding individuals with learning difficulties in the UK for over 20 years

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta love MMO-C hypocrisy towards insults

WORDS ARE JUST WORDS UNLESS USED AGAINST ME seems to be the general ridiculous notion many have here.

FYI retarded IS offensive in UK
    Nobody cares about your nannystate. More importantly, why does it matter if its offensive? People can have negative opinions of certain things and express that, it shouldnt matter if you dont like hearing a certain negative opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Nobody cares about your nannystate. More importantly, why does it matter if its offensive? People can have negative opinions of certain things and express that, it shouldnt matter if you dont like hearing a certain negative opinion.
    Because it's not how I want to hear it.

Deleted
    Thus the hypocrisy

Thus the hypocrisy
    I fail to see where Im being hypocritical.

Im not the one complaining about people using words that I dont like.

and this weeks menial 1st world problems left wing whine-fest award goes to......

There are ACTUAL problems in the world, maybe focus on those instead of pointlessly moaning about a word people use...

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    and this weeks menial 1st world problems left wing whine-fest award goes to......

There are ACTUAL problems in the world, maybe focus on those instead of pointlessly moaning about a word people use...
    I don't see how this is exclusive to a certain political ideology. But whatever floats your dinghy.

Problems are prioritized by subjective perceptions and ideals. This is a problem to some, not one to others. That's no excuse to belittle it and trivialize it. There's a reason why nobody says the "N" word or other racially-charged demeaning insults.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I love Rick and Morty.
    I have a new-found respect for you, Kujako.

OT:
    No, I don't see a reason why we should. I assume your reason for making this thread is because people call one another retarded and mean it in a derogatory way, but doing away with the word "retarded" doesn't change anything.
    Retarded
    adjective
    characterized by a slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding and awareness, emotional development, academic progress, etc.
    Slang. stupid or foolish.
    noun
    (used with a plural verb) people who are slow or limited in mental development (usually preceded by the):
    new schools for the retarded.

Even if we gave that definition to something like applesauce, it doesn't actually do anything other than people would be calling each other applesauce instead of retarded.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Deleted
    I fail to see where Im being hypocritical.

Im not the one complaining about people using words that I dont like.
    No, what's hypocritical is people saying DON'T BE OFFENDED like they themselves somehow are immune to offence.

It's irrelevant if YOU'RE NOT offended by a word, if some people are then it's considered offensive and unnecessary... The problem with online is people like to play the NOTHING HURTS ME bravado and began citing rhubarb like WORDS HAVE NO POWER

Quote Originally Posted by Aeno View Post
    I don't see how this is exclusive to a certain political ideology. But whatever floats your dinghy.

Problems are prioritized by subjective perceptions and ideals. This is a problem to some, not one to others. That's no excuse to belittle it and trivialize it. There's a reason why nobody says the "N" word or other racially-charged demeaning insults.
    1. Then you haven't been paying attention to any sort of politics for the last decade or so... PC on EVERYTHING has always been a staple of the left wing
    2. You can be subjective all you want, claiming that calling someone "retarded" is an equally large problem as ISIS beheading anyone thats not a muslim, or children starving to death in Africa is laughably asinine and you deserve to be belittled and mocked for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    1. Then you haven't been paying attention to any sort of politics for the last decade or so... PC on EVERYTHING has always been a staple of the left wing
    2. You can be subjective all you want, claiming that calling someone "retarded" is an equally large problem as ISIS beheading anyone thats not a muslim, or children starving to death in Africa is laughably asinine and you deserve to be belittled and mocked for it.
    "the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against." Strange how it doesn't consider ideology in its definition. Odd!

You are free to have your opinion. Belittling others for your opinion is a mockery of mutual respect that all humans deserve. And I am not advocating that you should be belittled for thinking this. I'm just telling you that that's not how you gain the respect or admiration of others to join your side or cause.

Deleted
    The only problem here is that you make such a big thing out of it. Why do you think of them as "poor people"?
    I don't like pity. There are many living beings who can't do certain stuff, who cares? Only thing that matters is how you mean the words you say, if the other person is offended by it, is up to him.

Deleted
    There's a difference between unnecessary political correctness and modernising. People used to say referring to ethnic minorities as anything but a slur is political correctness

Personally when somebody screams PC MADNESS I think 'What a tool,"

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering I'll never respect mentally retarded people or consider them equals to people who are not retarded...
    No.

Funniest memory from highschool was this one little retard went running down the hall wailing, and she sounded so much like a fire alarm even the teacher was getting up and directing people where to leave the room. 2 minutes later the Highschool principle, middle school principle, vice principle and school resource officer were carrying her back down to the retard room, each holding one limb like she was about to be drawn and quartered.

Second funniest thing was when I worked part time as a janitor during summers for the school and found out the retard rooms had a smaller secondary room, completely padded, that they put the kids in when they threw temper tantrums.

Third funniest was learning that the 'second in command' janitor hated retards because she couldn't use the vacuum near them, a couple of em were afraid of it and threw fits if it was near them,

No, what's hypocritical is people saying DON'T BE OFFENDED like they themselves somehow are immune to offence.

It's irrelevant if YOU'RE NOT offended by a word, if some people are then it's considered offensive and unnecessary... The problem with online is people like to play the NOTHING HURTS ME bravado and began citing rhubarb like WORDS HAVE NO POWER
    I never said to not be offended. I never claimed that I'm immune to being offended.

I said that just because you are offended by something doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to say it anyways.

You're offended, so fucking what? Everybody is offended sometimes, the expectation that others treat carefully and pick their diction precisely so that your feelings aren't hurt is ridiculous. No, just because somebody is offended doesn't mean that its unnecessary, it means somebody is offended. That's it, some people are easily offended, some people cant handle criticism, does that mean that the criticism is unnecessary? Hell no.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toosdey View Post
    Considering I'll never respect mentally retarded people or consider them equals to people who are not retarded...
    No.

Funniest memory from highschool was this one little retard went running down the hall wailing, and she sounded so much like a fire alarm even the teacher was getting up and directing people where to leave the room. 2 minutes later the Highschool principle, middle school principle, vice principle and school resource officer were carrying her back down to the retard room, each holding one limb like she was about to be drawn and quartered.

Second funniest thing was when I worked part time as a janitor during summers for the school and found out the retard rooms had a smaller secondary room, completely padded, that they put the kids in when they threw temper tantrums.

Third funniest was learning that the 'second in command' janitor hated retards because she couldn't use the vacuum near them, a couple of em were afraid of it and threw fits if it was near them,
    well aren't you a vile human

Yeah some people are just so retarded, that you can't use any other word/phrase to get your point across to them at how retarded they are, and they deserve to know! Retarded people are people to!

Also, I belive for the good of mankind, retarded people should be made infertile upon revealing their level of retardation.

Deleted
    I never said to not be offended. I never claimed that I'm immune to being offended.

I said that just because you are offended by something doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to say it anyways.

You're offended, so fucking what? Everybody is offended sometimes, the expectation that others treat carefully and pick their diction precisely so that your feelings aren't hurt is ridiculous. No, just because somebody is offended doesn't mean that its unnecessary, it means somebody is offended. That's it, some people are easily offended, some people cant handle criticism, does that mean that the criticism is unnecessary? Hell no.
    You're right, people are allowed to be cunts and thus acknowledge they will be judged as so. Doesn't mean retarded isn't offensive

You're right, people are allowed to be cunts and thus acknowledge they will be judged as so. Doesn't mean retarded isn't offensive
    Where did I claim that it wasnt offensive?

This thread is about how we should stop using a word because it can offend people, that's ridiculous.

Deleted
    Where did I claim that it wasnt offensive?

This thread is about how we should stop using a word because it can offend people, that's ridiculous.
    It's not ridiculous it's called been respectful