Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic View Post
    Unless, zito, you mean there's another way to "duel", in which case please elaborate
    You can make private arenas
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Ugh if only TERA would make improvements to it's actual game instead of adding more cosmetics/cash shop items.
    Fixed that for you

Tera's combat was ok. Only class I really enjoyed was the warrior and that was due because it had the quickest animations. The majority of the classes had a lot of slow animations for an action combat game. Plus I found a lot of the actual fights way too long.

but for a positive comment, at least it has action combat in an mmo persistent world

TERA has the best Mob AI hands down, other games just do white damage and it's just... bleh

Deleted
    What I hate about TERA was it's enchanting. It was a must, and it was so RNG/luck/farm reliant.
    What I love about TERA was it's combat. It was quite engaging as slayer and lancer which I got to max level and was at mostly in +6-8 armors and +9 weapon.
    Overall, TERA was great, but it's endgame was quite bad.
    It's character models, animations, world, class diversity - great. Get 60 and game was practically from a 9/10 a 3/10.

TERA has the best Mob AI hands down, other games just do white damage and it's just... bleh
    never noticed the mob AI in Tera to be honest. I just know they had a lot of health and took a while to take them down

wish mmos would use mob AI that a lot of FPS games have

What I hate about TERA was it's enchanting. It was a must, and it was so RNG/luck/farm reliant.
    What I love about TERA was it's combat. It was quite engaging as slayer and lancer which I got to max level and was at mostly in +6-8 armors and +9 weapon.
    It's character models, animations, world, class diversity - great. Get 60 and game was practically from a 9/10 a 3/10.
    yeah I was going to play TERA but after reading the forums and such i came to a similar conclusion. btw thanks to your location, now I have to listen to toxicity album again

What ruined TERA for me was their wardrobe changes. You can no longer mix and match clothes. They all come in one set and you have to dye them all the same color. It's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Which ones? >.>

Because the past dozen FPS games I played had AI about as sophisticated as games from a few decades ago. Hell, nothing I've played in recent years has come remotely close to F.E.A.R. levels of AI, and that game is damn near a decade old >.>

never noticed the mob AI in Tera to be honest. I just know they had a lot of health and took a while to take them down

Lets hope no game uses the mob AI from destiny. Bosses are literally - just shooting at you. It's fucking awful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward View Post
    yeah I was going to play TERA but after reading the forums and such i came to a similar conclusion. btw thanks to your location, now I have to listen to toxicity album again
    Good idea actually, might be even be a better idea than playing a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Which ones? >.>

Because the past dozen FPS games I played had AI about as sophisticated as games from a few decades ago. Hell, nothing I've played in recent years has come remotely close to F.E.A.R. levels of AI, and that game is damn near a decade old >.>
    Lets hope no game uses the mob AI from destiny. Bosses are literally - just shooting at you. It's fucking awful.
    I always thought the Halo games had pretty good AI

I don't really mean the boss AI. But the regular mobs which use hide, cover, flanking tactics plus in some cases finding help from other mobs.

heck, if they could make the nemesis system from Shadows of Mordor work in an mmo as well that would make combat encounters there so much more dynamic

I don't really mean the boss AI. But the regular mobs which use hide, cover, flanking tactics plus in some cases finding help from other mobs.
    Granted I've only played the first Halo (and that was many, many years ago), but the AI is about as sophisticated in that as any other shooter I've played in recent years. Either "Hide behind something and shoot!" or "Charge headfirst into your bullets/lasers!".

There was no real "flanking" that I remember, especially given that enemies never really laid down any cover fire to allow for serious flanking (i.e. they'd move 10 feet to the side to "flank", not circle around). They'd not really interact with the environment in any meaningful way beyond simply hiding behind a box or a wall.

When I think of smart AI I think of F.E.A.R. The enemies will interact with the environment, knocking things over to use for cover, sliding under things and moving from one piece of cover to another. They will provide cover fire for their buddies as they move from cover to cover or flank, sometimes appearing to stagger their fire so they can keep a continuous stream going. They will take advantage of times when you're behind cover reloading to move out in the open/change position. They work together.

If you died on a part and replay it, they're not going to do the same thing as happens in other games. In other shooters, the AI that dictates enemy behavior is so limited that you can see almost identical behavior if you play through the same part multiple times. That's because their options of action are so limited that they don't have the capability to change tactics. F.E.A.R., though? You can play through the same bit 5 times and each time you can see a different strategy used by the AI.

Seriously, as dated as it is, I highly recommend playing F.E.A.R., though only the first one, as the AI seems to get worse as the series progressed (and F3AR is bloody AWFUL, a damn disgrace to the franchise). It still blows my mind that the height of enemy AI in FPS games is in a game nearly a decade old.

Well I know that in Halo 3 they at least would flank you.

I think they could put in better AI for games but do people, besides gamer aficionados such as ourselves, really want it?

I think they could put in better AI for games but do people, besides gamer aficionados such as ourselves, really want it?
    Sadly...no. The reason AI is still dumb as a doornail is because it's very low on the list of "what sells a shooter!" People want bigger explosions, more things to kill, better graphics, more gore etc. AI doesn't factor in very high and it's not really worth dumping resources into it compared to using that money for some extra visual effects : /

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Sadly...no. The reason AI is still dumb as a doornail is because it's very low on the list of "what sells a shooter!" People want bigger explosions, more things to kill, better graphics, more gore etc. AI doesn't factor in very high and it's not really worth dumping resources into it compared to using that money for some extra visual effects : /
    that's a shame

going completely off topic (and then I'll stop), it's one of the reasons why I've been turned off of Destiny for a while now. Instead of creating some good tactical AI for the bosses and encounters, they basically just pump them up with massive health. While I enjoy the combat in Destiny, I really wish they had a lot more variation there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easier to create explosions than it is to create a complex AI. AI is probably one of the most complex part to any game. Due to that sadly people won't pour in resources for it.

Deleted
    Downloading Vindictus atm.
    Hope it'll be fun for a little while at least.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You want action combat, but you hate Tera? It's pretty much the best action combat MMO ever made. I'm not sure when you last played it, but the content has been vastly improved after they transitioned to F2P. (and the reaper class is ridiculous) No other game is going to match that level of true action combat. Good luck with Vindictus though. I could not get into it at all.
    BAD WOLF

lvl 65 will be open soon too, which comes with MYSTIC BUFFS