PC is getting old, need some advice about upgrading!

Hey fellas.

So, for the past couple of weeks, I've been wanting to upgrade my hardware in my computer. It's currently 3-5 years old(ish), can't quite remember. Current specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3,2 GHz
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6900 series (can't find out which one exactly)
    Main(mother)board: Gigabyte GA-990XA UD3
    RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x 8GB @ 1600
    Drive: some bull-crap 1TB harddisk

Isn't really the mostly beastly setup, haha, but it's been working for me up until my guild started the whole 25-man shenanigans.

I've been reading on forums, searching the webs and what-not, and think I've got some sense of what I need to get, I just want you guys' opinions on what I should be getting.

What I've been looking at:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 4GB PhysX CUDA or MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming 2GB PhysX (for budget reasons)
    Mainboard: no idea which are good, please halp! (I've heard good stuff about the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, Socket-AM3+, no idea if it's true)
    Drive: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB 2.5" OEM or some other equivalent prize-arranged SSD

My main goal is pretty much to be able to run the new raid content, everything from (the new) normal to mythinc, on a "good-high"-ish graphics quality with something like 30-40 fps, but I'm pretty much blank on whether or not this is going to be possible with the pieces I've been looking at.

Thoughts and advice are very much appreciated!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: Currently, in our 25 man HC SoO-clear, I'm running pretty much Low-graphics with Particle Density @ good, and Projected Textures enabled, going @ something like 10-20 fps during bossfights
    Last edited by Hestene; 2014-10-13 at 04:37 PM.

The CPU will work great, the GTX970 4GB would be overkill for MMO's. The Motherboard "ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, Socket-AM3+" is for AMD so that one will not work for an intel processor.

I can't speak for the new boards since I'm still on the older CPU's but ASUS, ASRock, and a few others are good motherboards. You will want a Intel Socket 1150 motherboard with that CPU.

The SSD is fine, I go more for Samsung Evo's, or Crucial MX100 - keep in mind SSD is only going to help with load times nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sthos View Post
    The SSD is fine, I go more for Samsung Evo's, or Crucial MX100 - keep in mind SSD is only going to help with load times nothing else.
    Ah okay, that was what I was expecting aswell.

Anyways, thanks for the reply! I figured that since WoD is gonna launch soon, I'm gonna need a bit better graphics card since they (from what I've heard) are going for a more GPU intensive game, rather than CPU. But alright!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hestene View Post
    Ah okay, that was what I was expecting aswell.

Anyways, thanks for the reply! I figured that since WoD is gonna launch soon, I'm gonna need a bit better graphics card since they (from what I've heard) are going for a more GPU intensive game, rather than CPU. But alright!
    im very sure it will still be a very CPU driven game

Quote Originally Posted by ZarG View Post
    im very sure it will still be a very CPU driven game
    Possibly, but from what I've read and heard, it's going to be a more GPU intensive game than a CPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Possibly, but from what I've read and heard, it's going to be a more GPU intensive game than a CPU.
    Sadly they can't do that without entirely redoing the game engine... which isn't what's happening. It'll still be CPU driven, but just not as much as it is currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Sadly they can't do that without entirely redoing the game engine... which isn't what's happening. It'll still be CPU driven, but just not as much as it is currently.
    Oh well. In any case, it's gonna cheaper for me in the end

Does any of you know anything about motherboards? Im still unsure if I need to upgrade it, and if so then which to buy

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh well. In any case, it's gonna cheaper for me in the end

Does any of you know anything about motherboards? Im still unsure if I need to upgrade it, and if so then which to buy
    If you're switching from AMD to Intel then the answer is yes you will need a new motherboard. I'd look at ASRock Z97's, Asus Z97's or Gigabyte Z97's. A motherboard really comes down to the features you'll need/want.

AMD and Intel processors are competing companies. This means they are not compatible in each others CPU Sockets.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2014-10-13 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    If you're switching from AMD to Intel then the answer is yes you will need a new motherboard. I'd look at ASRock Z97's, Asus Z97's or Gigabyte Z97's. A motherboard really comes down to the features you'll need/want.

AMD and Intel processors are competing companies. This means they are not compatible in each others CPU Sockets.
    Oh, lol! I've never realized.. (seriously, I didn't know. That sentence sounded like sarcasm) Thanks for the info!

Like this one?:
    ASRock Z97 PRO4, Socket-1150
    Last edited by Hestene; 2014-10-13 at 08:49 PM.

Deleted
    If your going for a gtx970, try the following else go for the gtx760:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£169.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 87.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler (£30.14 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£88.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.39 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£274.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: £638.26
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-13 22:29 BST+0100
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2014-10-13 at 09:29 PM. Reason: fixed link