Poll: If Reincarnation were real, would you fear death more than if nothing will happen?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Considering we already have no idea that we've lived before, we would have no idea in the next life either. So, effectively, who I am in this life would be permanently dead. "Me" without any of my memories or characteristics in the mind of a cow, is not me.

Wouldn't change a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    In what way would I still be me as a cow? Or another human?

I don't understand the whole concept of reincarnation really.
    In Reincarnation, somehow the stuff that makes up your consciousness gets transferred to another entity, though the physical body dies.

Being a cow wouldn't be so bad, as a cow, you'd be too stupid to know anything except to eat grass until killed. You wouldn't even know you were bring raised to be slaughtered until slaughtered.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I've actually been really interested in the reincarnation idea for a while now. No, I would not be afraid of death. In fact I'd be interested in it even more. I'd try to find ways to leave my future form some kind of notes or clues of my previous form. It probably wouldn't work seeing how if you were reincarnated as someone else entirely you won't remember anything from your past self but it sounds like it would be something fun to do. Also it could be like 200 years in the future in a different country, dare I say different planet. Regardless, the idea itself is interesting to me and fun to think about.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm planning to be a cyborg and live forever.

I guess less? But there'd always be the chance you'd wind up a dung beetle or male anglerfish.

That's a pretty big "IF" though, I've never taken reincarnation seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Considering we already have no idea that we've lived before, we would have no idea in the next life either. So, effectively, who I am in this life would be permanently dead. "Me" without any of my memories or characteristics in the mind of a cow, is not me.

Wouldn't change a thing.
    But then we couldn't learn from any of our mistakes, so we'd be a cow forever.

And this is why I don't take reincarnation seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Completely disproves the theory of god. /clap And, how do you know? I mean, what if each "life", if each "person", is like their own personal 1 player, 1 life video game? Poof. Or, upon death, it just resets and we "reroll" by always pushing the random button? Or we are in a little marble, like in Men in Black. I love all of the possibilities.
    Physical life as we know cannot be infinite. Based on all evidence around us, this universe will not last forever, nor will life, by default outlive the universe. I am saying nothing about spirituality, the continuation of consciousness, the possible presence of other realms of existence, or anything else. No need to get so defensive, but this collection of matter and energy that we live in will not last forever. It will last a very, very, very long time, but nothing that contains matter/energy is infinite in this existence.

For somebody who loves possibilities, that was kind of closed-minded >.>
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If reincarination is real in this hypothetical, then I can assume Buddhism is correct in most other regards.

I would loathe death. As life, suffering, and death would be like being bound to a rollar coaster that makes you extremely sick. Vomiting and crying, I would beg to finally be let off the ride only for the ride to end and start up again via death and rebirth.

The goal of buddhism is to stop this cycle of suffering by achieving Nirvana.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2014-10-17 at 04:23 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I guess less? But there'd always be the chance you'd wind up a dung beetle or male anglerfish.

That's a pretty big "IF" though, I've never taken reincarnation seriously.

But then we couldn't learn from any of our mistakes, so we'd be a cow forever.

And this is why I don't take reincarnation seriously.
    I think a big lesson from reincarnation is that everybody and everything around us has something that they can teach us or learn from. Maybe you're not consciously aware that you've been a cow or a cricket but you're supposed to have learned a lesson, all be it a small one, from those previous lives. It also kind of gives you a sense of community with nature instead of the Judeo-Christian belief of mastery over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    Physical life as we know cannot be infinite. Based on all evidence around us, this universe will not last forever, nor will life, by default outlive the universe. I am saying nothing about spirituality, the continuation of consciousness, the possible presence of other realms of existence, or anything else. No need to get so defensive, but this collection of matter and energy that we live in will not last forever. It will last a very, very, very long time, but nothing that contains matter/energy is infinite in this existence.

For somebody who loves possibilities, that was kind of closed-minded >.>
    Doesn't the law of conservation of mass state that energy can neither be created nor destroyed?

Quote Originally Posted by Alasuya View Post
    For me, this is less fearful than the abyss as there is hope that future civilization may place all reincarnated humans into respectable simulated AI bodies, even if I had been reborn as livestock, or as an insignificant insect, while having nothing after death just means just that, nothingness. Million years could go by, and you would not notice, feel, or think.
    Here is the thing. If you die and get reincarnated you have no memory of your past life at all, so for all intents and purposes it is no different then having nothing after death.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Doesn't the law of conservation of mass state that energy can neither be created nor destroyed?
    When you die your body will be converted into other forms of energy. As you decompose gases will be released, microbes will feed on your flesh etc..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Here is the thing. If you die and get reincarnated you have no memory of your past life at all, so for all intents and purposes it is no different then having nothing after death.
    In a way, reincarnation provides some explanation for our furthest recollection of consciousness in our minds. One minute were nothing, and then BAM, you are suddenly consciousness and everything around you seems overwhelming.

The small recollection I have of this is kind of blurry, but I do recall essentially having a big "what the fuck moment" of what seemed to be panic only to be calmed down.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

When you die your body will be converted into other forms of energy. As you decompose gases will be released, microbes will feed on your flesh etc..
    Right. So as long as energy exists, isn't life infinite? Sure, the form of life may not be there, but the core of life is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Just keep suiciding til you get one you like.
    This made me laugh way more than it should have.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

15+ Year Old Account
    Right. So as long as energy exists, isn't life infinite? Sure, the form of life may not be there, but the core of life is.
    The universe will eventually run out of energy and go dark in a very, very, very long time. There could be some deus ex machina of resuscitation that we do not currently understand, but in a time scale that we are just completely unable to properly comprehend, the universe will cease to be as we know it. As I've said, this has no bearing on whether or not life continues after death, but this physical existence will not support life after a tremendously long time.

In a way, reincarnation provides some explanation for our furthest recollection of consciousness in our minds. One minute were nothing, and then BAM, you are suddenly consciousness and everything around you seems overwhelming.

The small recollection I have of this is kind of blurry, but I do recall essentially having a big "what the fuck moment" of what seemed to be panic only to be calmed down.
    Yeah that was your birth, lol. Seriously, though you dont remember anything that happened to you prior to your birth your previous life is gone (dead) and knows nothing of this life. As you in your next life wont remember anything that happened in this life. How do you find comfort in knowing you will live on through reincarnation if you have no recollection of past lives? In that sense it is no different then being dead.

Not really, because if the earth is destroyed by a huge asteroid, life (as we know it ceases) but our energy is converted to other forms of energy (heat etc..) and is thrown into space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    The universe will eventually run out of energy and go dark in a very, very, very long time. There could be some deus ex machina of resuscitation that we do not currently understand, but in a time scale that we are just completely unable to properly comprehend, the universe will cease to be as we know it. As I've said, this has no bearing on whether or not life continues after death, but this physical existence will not support life after a tremendously long time.
    When this occurs, does energy die with it?

When this occurs, does energy die with it?
    No, it gets converted from kinetic energy to potential energy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that was your birth, lol. Seriously, though you dont remember anything that happened to you prior to your birth your previous life is gone (dead) and knows nothing of this life. As you in your next life wont remember anything that happened in this life. How do you find comfort in knowing you will live on through reincarnation if you have no recollection of past lives? In that sense it is no different then being dead.

Not really, because if the earth is destroyed by a huge asteroid, life (as we know it ceases) but our energy is converted to other forms of energy (heat etc..) and is thrown into space.
    Yeah, I think I misread you. My premise supports the idea of consciousness beginning, but it doesn't support it being circular.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it gets converted from kinetic energy to potential energy.
    So it's like what I said before.

Since the core component of life is still there, life hasn't been erased. Only it's form.

So it's like what I said before.

Since the core component of life is still there, life hasn't been erased. Only it's form.
    Sure, I will agree with that. The component of life still exist, they would then have to coalesce into life again.

- - - Updated - - -

disagree, the point of life is to experience and in the pursuit of happiness in my opinion. If I died and reincarnated into another human, I would be able to persue happiness, but in radically different ways than I do currently, I maybe a musician or sports fan instead of a digital artist for example. I'd rather be reincarnated than have nothing happen, because there is a chance of being reincarnated into an entity capable of persueing happiness at the level of us humans. In addition, if I were to be reincarnated into some entity that is too stupid to do so, it maybe possible to have my past life's "backed up mind files" be saved, and IF it's possible to track down where the "soul" went, could have my consciousness transferred to an AI and have my backed up mind files given back.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2014-10-17 at 10:33 PM.

Less probably. If you get something shitty it will die fast anyways.