Updgrading my pc for WOD

hi everybody

i bought a pc for world of warcraft 1 - 2 years ago to play from cata to mid late of mop. i bought a pc that was suppose to deliver a mid range performance because back then i was a student and i couldnt afford a good pc.

now i am working and i saved alot of money to buy a gaming pc and a simple laptop for work, but i thought about it and i decided to check if my current computer can be upgraded for it to perform very good.

so i downloaded CPU-z and took screenshots of the results

so if its possible for u guys to help me and tell me if i can upgrade it for WOD to be able to play at Ultra performance smoothly, i want to enjoy full WOD in graphics.

thanks

IMHO, you'd probably want to start from scratch and build something new, i don't think any of your current rig would be 'upgradeable' that is anything you do replace would simply not pick up the slack of the remaining parts, what you want is a new everything if you have the money for it.

wouldn't really know where to start if you wanted to do it piece meal, if you replace the GPU with a newer one your cpu will still be under performing, if you replace both the gpu and cpu, you'd need a new mobo, (which is half the pc right there) and if you did that you might aswell get at least 1600 ram. on top of that you'd probably want a better power supply to compliment the new parts, and then storage devices with better read/write speeds.

then again you should be getting at least 30fps in wow in a raid setting with that pc. you could just go with a psu and gpu upgrade. which wouldn't be as painful as replacing the whole thing but it wouldn't give you as much future proofing either. also blizzard have stated that the performance loss with the new models isn't that much. if i remember the blue post correctly it was saying something like a 5% difference. which would be like a frame loss of 1 if your getting an average of 30. as ppl say wow is cpu intensive so buying a newer gpu might not really have that much of an affect on your average frame rate. (although it would benefit other games that do utilize gpus more)

to play wow on ultra in a raid setting averaging over 60 fps you'll want an overclockable i5. mainly because those chips have much better single core performance than any amd chip.

like this http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...enom-II-X4-955 see single core performance. thats where you get higher frame rates in wow.

what you need to state is your budget so the tech savvy ppl on this board can find parts to fit your budget and would make the most difference. also country and resolution help with the part picking. if i were in your situation and was looking for a really decent upgrade and cost wasn't an issue, it would be a cpu/mobo/ram bundle like this and i'd buy a new gpu, case, psu and storage devices separate. in total you'd be looking at about £800 or $1300. for a pc that runs wow at a consistently high fps and also runs other games well too.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-10-19 at 02:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can upgrade your current CPU to a 8320 or 8350, with a bios update, the 8320 can be had for about 130 US.
    Also add a new video card (AMD R9-280s are going cheap ($179 on Amazon) or spring for the new GTX 970) and you should be good.

If you have the extra cash to spare, grab a Z97 mATX board from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock, etc for about 100.00 and a i5-4690K, your memory will work with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    IMHO, you'd probably want to start from scratch and build something new, i don't think any of your current rig would be 'upgradeable' that is anything you do replace would simply not pick up the slack of the remaining parts, what you want is a new everything if you have the money for it.

wouldn't really know where to start if you wanted to do it piece meal, if you replace the GPU with a newer one your cpu will still be under performing, if you replace both the gpu and cpu, you'd need a new mobo, (which is half the pc right there) and if you did that you might aswell get at least 1600 ram. on top of that you'd probably want a better power supply to compliment the new parts, and then storage devices with better read/write speeds.

then again you should be getting at least 30fps in wow in a raid setting with that pc. you could just go with a psu and gpu upgrade. which wouldn't be as painful as replacing the whole thing but it wouldn't give you as much future proofing either. also blizzard have stated that the performance loss with the new models isn't that much. if i remember the blue post correctly it was saying something like a 5% difference. which would be like a frame loss of 1 if your getting an average of 30. as ppl say wow is cpu intensive so buying a newer gpu might not really have that much of an affect on your average frame rate. (although it would benefit other games that do utilize gpus more)

to play wow on ultra in a raid setting averaging over 60 fps you'll want an overclockable i5. mainly because those chips have much better single core performance than any amd chip.

like this http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...enom-II-X4-955 see single core performance. thats where you get higher frame rates in wow.

what you need to state is your budget so the tech savvy ppl on this board can find parts to fit your budget and would make the most difference. also country and resolution help with the part picking. if i were in your situation and was looking for a really decent upgrade and cost wasn't an issue, it would be a cpu/mobo/ram bundle like this and i'd buy a new gpu, case, psu and storage devices separate. in total you'd be looking at about £800 or $1300. for a pc that runs wow at a consistently high fps and also runs other games well too.
    first of all i would like to thank you for taking time to answer my question, it really help me alot.

so what your telling me is that i can upgrade it, but each upgrade is going to force me to upgrade something else, which will result in full upgrade, so just get a new pc because its the same as upgrading.

will my budge will be different depending on which month i would buy it, the next two months i can afford to pay around $1200 to $1500, if its three months than its going to be $1500 to $2000.

but if i had to spend that much on a computer, what about if i bought a gaming laptop like alienware is it good?

plus i would like to hear all the possibilities before i take an action

Thank you very much

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    You can upgrade your current CPU to a 8320 or 8350, with a bios update, the 8320 can be had for about 130 US.
    Also add a new video card (AMD R9-280s are going cheap ($179 on Amazon) or spring for the new GTX 970) and you should be good.

If you have the extra cash to spare, grab a Z97 mATX board from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock, etc for about 100.00 and a i5-4690K, your memory will work with it as well.
    would that help me to play on Ultra settings with no problems, with smooth graphics and gameplay?

Quote Originally Posted by Omranx View Post
    would that help me to play on Ultra settings with no problems, with smooth graphics and gameplay?
    It depends on what you'll do in the game. Assuming "no problems" (no fps dips, micro stutters, etc) with Ultra settings in a raid environment, then no. Last time I checked there's not a single consumer grade computer on this planet that can pull that off. If you'll suffice with "close enough", IE your main focus is still performance, it's an unlocked k-series Intel CPU you're after, which in your case means a new rig. If your main focus is budget however, AMD is a very strong contender, but since I'm not versed in AM3 CPU performances in WoW, I can't tell you how big an upgrade a 8350 would be.

As for the GPU, you'd be surprised how well a modest one handles WoW once you have a strong enough CPU. Only consider something stronger if you want to play other (read: newer) games. If you have the money to spare though, I think it'd be foolish to close that door and cheap out on the GPU once you have a proper CPU.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alienware is all around overpriced garbage, but laptops in general aren't going to bring you near the performance of a desktop. They ARE getting better, however, with the 900M series being not so far behind their desktop counterparts, but also still more expensive than the desktop.

An 8350 with a GPU upgrade would work, but AMD is pretty sub par for gaming in general, especially WoW, and you'd be much happier with an i5 4690k (or even 4790k if you do video encoding or streaming) and a GTX 970 GPU. Would cost you around the $1200-$1300 mark for all brand new parts, but you could possible reuse some old parts to drop it down if you desired. The the intel CPU with the 970 would be capable of playing any current game on full Ultra 60+ FPS 1080p and probably any future game for the next year or so before you would need to start turning down settings to maintain 60+FPS. Can't predict too much into the future to know an accurate time frame though.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Last time I checked there's not a single consumer grade computer on this planet that can pull that off. If you'll suffice with "close enough"
    Unfortunately there is, because blizzard step back in video settings and removing a lot of what u can see, spells/particles from other players and also changing the aa i dont know the "minimum" to be able to play +60 fps ultra settings while raiding today, but now is possible i play with solid 60fps since the new patch (i7 4790k+gtx 780)

WoW need single thread performance (the game uses only 2 cores), in facts, upgrading to FX 83xx won't be a big upgrade over the Phenom II because they have about the same single thread performance.

Upgrade to at least an i5, preferably unlockable so you can overclock it.

8 GB of RAM is still good, no need to upgrade your memory.

Get at least Nvidia GTX760 with a non-reference cooler, anything below the 250$ price range isn't really worth it if you have the money.
    Last edited by Warrax; 2014-10-21 at 06:04 PM.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter