10+ Year Old Account

Brewmaster for PVP

So I rolled a new monk to do the low level arena's and I have always pvp'd as ww on my 90 monk and loved it, but I tried brew and had a blast..keg smash is insane and all the slows and survivability is awesome..I totally destroy bgs, and have been doing decent in arenas. But now I am 58 and am starting to get a lot of: "you're brew and pvping? thats dumb" and just comments on how i'm an idiot for trying to arena as brew now that i'm getting a bit higher in level. Is ww just the best choice cause karma and fists? Are people so used to monks being ww and they have fof which is a HUGE stun that when they see me as brew they are like "shit now we don't have fof?" So far my damage seems good still and survivability is better as brew...but is tigereye brew just too OP at these levels?

Explanation please and thanks.

In WoD, BrMs have poor self-healing, few escapes from CC, fairly poor magic mitigation, and their physical mitigation is balanced around having Shuffle up. Shuffle, which gives you a good chunk of stagger and dodge, requires you to BoK on a fairly regular basis. That's kind of hard to do in BGs and arena. At level 90, they are balanced to do something like 70% of the DPS of a DPS class. So, you have a spec with poor magic mitigation, poor self-healing, a requirement to BoK on a regular basis to keep Shuffle up, and the damage of about 3/4 of a DPS. In total, they aren't all that great at PvP.

How they're balanced at lower levels, I don't know. Blizz has stated that they aren't super concerned about low level PvP balance. That's one of the reasons they removed being able to get glad titles from level 85 arenas during MoP. Honestly, though, whether you're leveling or you've halted your xp gain and are doing serious low level PvP, have fun with it. You're not competing for rating or anything. If you're having fun, to hell with everyone else.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-11-01 at 12:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocias View Post
    BrMs have poor self-healing, few escapes from CC
    I'm confused, as far as I know brew has the same healing spells as ww...and they also have guard which is an absorb and also increasing healing done to you by 30%...also the same amount of escapes, nimble & TL..?

I think you answered your own question. BrMs have similar self-healing and similar escapes but no burst and do 30% less DPS than WW. An absorb shield and more effective health don't make up for that.

Keep in mind that only one or two tanks are warranted in a BG. BrMs aren't the best tank for BGs. Tanks aren't all that wonderful in arenas, either. They don't have the damage to actually kill anyone. They just extend arena matches out far longer than they need to be.

Like I said, though, if you're having fun playing a tank at low level, keep at it. Unless you're pushing for rating or raid progression, play the game in the way that you have the most fun.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-11-01 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocias View Post
    their physical mitigation is balanced around having Shuffle up. Shuffle, which gives you a good chunk of stagger and dodge, requires you to BoK on a fairly regular basis.
    Just to correct you, shuffle is no where near what it used to be, doesn't give dodge(it gives 10% parry) and only gives 10% stagger instead of the old 20% stagger. Brewmaster passive stagger from stance+mastery along with 50% extra armor is where the majority of the physical mitigation comes from now by a long shot.

Note: My post has nothing to do with pvp viability just making corrections.