Page 1 of 28
... LastLast
    Deleted

What's with the Republican Democratic divide obsession on here?

Perhaps I simply don't really see it much IRL but I notice the 'us them' attitude prominently on here regarding political affiliation... Is this exclusive to online communities or a common occurrence? Perhaps I am just boring but whenever any topic of politics arise in casual conversation I usually tune out because I found 90% of political conversations is usually two sides just barking fixed opinions. Perhaps because I avoid political conversation IRL my observation is skewed

Because the differences between them are very obvious.

Republicans: conservative, close minded, intolerant, somewhat racists, sexists.

They look like something from a Twilight Zone episode and it's astonishing how there are so many americans that support them in this century.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Radux; 2014-10-20 at 07:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    The state of the US political system is high polarized right now. From taxation to the minimum wage, women rights, minority rights, gay marriage, abortion, Climate change, etc. A lot of these are personal things. And one side is generally pro-change, and one side is anti-change. So there is a tug and pull going on right now... And it's being fought on forums, and facebook pages by cyber warriors on both sides.
    I think the "polarization of the political system" is fake (although the polarization of the voters is quite real and deliberate). You'll note that although the shouting heads on either side seem to be in complete opposition, what government actually happens is almost all moderate, status-quo propagating technocracy. Bush and Obama are very similar, and whoever succeeds Obama, be it a Hillary-style Democrat or a moderate Republican who somehow makes it through the primaries, will govern basically the same. As the US government becomes more incompetent, and the wealth disparity in the US grows, the ever-louder, ever-more-shrill rhetoric is necessary for both the Republican and Democratic wings of the Establishment Party to keep their constituents from realizing how corrupt, incompetent, and evil both sets of politicians are. (Or, even worse, acting on that knowledge.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Well according to one poll, 45 % of republicans and 36 % of democrats would be angry if their child found a partner with the opposite party affiliation...

Sadly, the rising polarization in Washington only reflect the deep divide between the voters.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because politics is fun to argue about.

Also, I always laugh out loud when we have Canadians and Europeans here arguing about US politics (generally aiming their dislike of politicians towards Republicans/conservatives)--as if they even lived in the United States. And no, work visas don't count as "living" here unless you're planning to work here for the long term.
    Last edited by TZK203; 2014-10-20 at 06:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

7+ Year Old Account
    The state of the US political system is high polarized right now. From taxation to the minimum wage, women rights, minority rights, gay marriage, abortion, Climate change, etc.
    And it's important to note that in the world of politics, those things are merely campaign fodder. No politician (on either side) actually gives a shit about those issues or those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Champion View Post

They look like something from a Twilight Zone episode and it's astonishing how there are so many americans that support them in this century.
    This is what ignorance looks like. It's like saying that because there are a few militant/anti-men feminists, that feminism is inherently evil.

I would say that its a small minority. I think the majority of conservative mindset is fear of change. They have an idealized view of the 1950's, and think that it was a perfect era that we should go back to. So any progress that deviates from that utopia, they really dislike.
    As there are on both sides, a very small minority are extreme/fringe and the opposing party highlights those cases in order to bathe the entire party in that putrid light. It's disingenuous to group "conservative" and "Republican". And your perspective on the conservative mindset, while understandable, is skewed. No one gives a shit about the '50's. And no one minds good change. The difference is whether or not one thinks particular changes are good or not. For example, I support abortion, but from a logical perspective; It's shittons cheaper. I couldn't care less about it otherwise.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2014-10-20 at 06:56 PM.

I like how you give your ass backwards view of republicans but not one of any other party.

It's a two party system. What did you expect?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Perhaps I simply don't really see it much IRL...
    You're unlikely to see a Democrat/Republican divide in your everyday life, for one important reason.

I could say the same thing about Democrats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You're unlikely to see a Democrat/Republican divide in your everyday life, for one important reason.
    What, that they're basically the same?
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

7+ Year Old Account
    I think any change that gets us farther away from their idealized view of Mayberry USA, is bad to conservatives. Which view change in culture as bad. Any change, I cannot think of any big change that conservatives actually liked. They had to be pulled screaming and kicking to accept it.
    And that's your opinion. It's wrong, but you're entitled to it nonetheless. Most conservatives focus on actual policy and find the social aspect of politics irrelevant; until they start seeping into policy.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2014-10-20 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melkandor View Post
    What, that they're basically the same?
    People tend to hang out with likeminded folk.

Deleted
    It certainly is difficult for non Americans to grasp, you will rarely hear a Labor voter and a Conservative voter going at it like a Republican and Democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Why is that?

I shame liberals in real life from time to time. Its pretty easy when they find so many things offensive and yet are extremely hypocritical, especially when it comes to the environment.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-10-20 at 07:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    Why is that?

I shame liberals in real life from time to time.
    I think he is saying that Adam lives in the UK and therefor will never see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    I think he is saying that Adam lives in the UK and therefor will never see it.
    I thought were lots of Republicans in Northern Ireland though?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    Nope, they are a minority hence why they are not a republic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Nope, they are a minority hence why they are not a republic.
    So we should rename them to Minoriticans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TZK203 View Post
    So we should rename them to Minoriticans.
    How about Irations?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    We do have quite a few Irish Publicans, though their numbers are dwindling.