Thread: Why atheism?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Why atheism?

I find it very interesting that more and more people class themselves as atheists. Like it is the new trendy viewpoint for life or something. Look how cool I am that I don't believe in a god.

But I rarely hear people say why? Why are you an atheist and how did you reach this viewpoint?

I myself am agnostic, I am all but certain that it is impossible to prove or disprove the existence of a higher power (God) by any empirical means, so any stance to the contrary indicates a belief of some sort. Agnosticism is often mocked but in my mind is the only possible choice for the open minded pragmatist on this topic.

The question again, why atheism?

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean if we are still agnostic we are basically atheists but yes being agnostic is the absolute truth considering we really do not know anything.

Logic?

/10chars

Because most people identify as "weak atheists". Basically the meaning of the word has been stretched to those who "lack a belief in any known god(s)". Also I'm pretty sure these forums don't allow religious discussion? Not sure, but you can just Google "weak atheism" and that's your answer

Deleted
    Theism and Gnosticism are not mutually exclusive. Vast majority of Athiests are also Agnostic and the vast majority of Agnostics are Agnostic Athiests.

One concerns itself with knowledge, the other with belief. I'm an agnostic athiest. I lack belief in a god (athiest) but do not know for certain one way or the other (agnostic)

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magewang View Post
    I find it very interesting that more and more people class themselves as atheists. Like it is the new trendy viewpoint for life or something. Look how cool I am that I don't believe in a god.

But I rarely hear people say why? Why are you an atheist and how did you reach this viewpoint?

Atheism is the lack of believe in a god or gods. I do not see any evidence supporting the existence of a god or gods ergo I do not believe in them. You can not prove something that does not exist, does not exist. Therefore until I see evidence supporting the existence of a god or gods I will continue to not believe they exist.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I got better things to do on Sunday than wearing a sweater and singing songs.

Because nothing in any of the monotheistic religions makes any sense. And all evidence points to god(s) only existing because people made them up to explain things they didn't understand. I just can't fucking grasp why that is a viable alternative to LEARNING ABOUT YOUR WORLD. If you haven't been indoctrinated from childhood, it all sounds really made up and stupid. Like listening to someone tell you a book about unicorns and fairies is based on true events.

Anyone who claims to be an atheist is way more ignorant than any religious person from any religion. Believing in something is fun and dynamics, whilst believing in nothing is void and way more dangerous. You cannot prove anything, so why not trust in Odin to give you powers or the bible to teach your kids manners? Its all simply practical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnolp View Post
    Theism and Gnosticism are not mutually exclusive. Vast majority of Athiests are also Agnostic and the vast majority of Agnostics are Agnostic Athiests.

One concerns itself with knowledge, the other with belief. I'm an agnostic athiest. I lack belief in a god (athiest) but do not know for certain one way or the other (agnostic)
    Pretty much I consider myself an agnostic atheist but normal people get confused by that. I am open to the possibility of god existing, but do not believe does until given a form of evidence. Now to be clear I am 99.99% sure there is no god but, I would be a hypocrite if I said it was an impossibility that for sure one does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruckesmus View Post
    Anyone who claims to be an atheist is way more ignorant than any religious person from any religion. Believing in something is fun and dynamics, whilst believing in nothing is void and way more dangerous. You cannot prove anything, so why not trust in Odin to give you powers or the bible to teach your kids manners? Its all simply practical.
    I'm all about people having manners. If that was all religion did, I'd be all for it. But, it's typically the cause of bloody awful violence, and causes people to try to enforce laws and policies on others based on those stupid beliefs. That part is unacceptable.

Because I simply don't believe in a higher power. I have no faith.

I went to church some as a child with family members, but none of the stories ever made any real sense to me and when I tried to ask questions for a better understanding, I was met with "faith" and "because the Bible says so."

Those are not really helpful answers to a confused child.

I tried to believe as a kid, I really did, but I never did find any faith and never received any answers that made sense. Worse, as I got older, asking questions tended to piss people off because I didn't simply "accept" what I was told in blind faith.

Science doesn't have all the answers, but they seem to have a lot more than the Bible and, most of theirs make sense as opposed to "it's just faith."

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it presents an unrealistic worldview that can smother creativity and logical thought?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Atheism is the lack of believe in a god or gods. I do not see any evidence supporting the existence of a god or gods ergo I do not believe in them. You can not prove something that does not exist, does not exist. Therefore until I see evidence supporting the existence of a god or gods I will continue to not believe they exist.
    Lack of evidence isn't reason enough to dismiss an idea. Black holes taught us this. You need to have evidence if you are disprove a theory also.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because you're more inclined to live your life better with the idea that maybe there's nothing afterwards instead of wasting it all on a promise that there's something afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Magewang View Post

I myself am agnostic, I am all but certain that it is impossible to prove or disprove the existence of a higher power (God) by any empirical means, so any stance to the contrary indicates a belief of some sort. Agnosticism is often mocked but in my mind is the only possible choice for the open minded pragmatist on this topic.

It's the only logical answer at this point in time, that's why. If someone can find proof or solid evidence of any kind of higher being or supernatural force guiding the universe then I will reconsider. Until then there is no reason for me not to be an atheist.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand how people can become atheist because it's "trendy".

You either believe in God or you don't.

I don't. Why? Because I just find the idea ludicrous but I respect that other people believe... It's nice to find comfort in a God - that someone is always watching over you and that there's an afterlife for you and your loved ones; I get that. But I've always been the kind of person that needs evidence & proof to believe in something. And sadly, God doesn't have any.

I was a Christian as a kid, just because pretty much my entire family is Christian to some degree. So naturally, as a child I'm going to believe whatever people around me believe. And it remained like that until I started to become more of a free-thinker. I started questioning things and thinking for myself, and around eleven was when I think I officially became atheist - I just didn't believe in God anymore. At all. I still believed in spirits/souls and an afterlife, probably because I enjoyed watching ghost hunters and stuff :P but gradually I stopped believing in that, too.

Edit:

Anyone who claims to be an atheist is way more ignorant than any religious person from any religion. Believing in something is fun and dynamics, whilst believing in nothing is void and way more dangerous
    Yes because I can totally force myself to believe in one thing or another - Atheist contrary to popular belief isn't exactly a choice. If I could choose and force myself to believe in a God to fit in with my family I would.

I find a lot of religions and spiritualties very interesting like Buddhism etc. and I would have loved to be able to believe in some of their beliefs.
    Last edited by Lupen202; 2014-10-24 at 03:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can teach kids manners without the bible. I don't really need to prove anything as I said already I can't prove something that does not exist, does not exist. Your logic is faulty please prove something like unicorns do not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    It's the only logical answer at this point in time, that's why. If someone can find proof or solid evidence of any kind of higher being or supernatural force guiding the universe then I will reconsider. Until then there is no reason for me not to be an atheist.
    I can't comprehend why people can't grasp this point. That's literally all it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sockzz View Post
    Because most people identify as "weak atheists". Basically the meaning of the word has been stretched to those who "lack a belief in any known god(s)". Also I'm pretty sure these forums don't allow religious discussion? Not sure, but you can just Google "weak atheism" and that's your answer
    Pretty sure we don't come under religion.