Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Sense of humour and trolling

Do people know the difference? Getting pretty fucking sick of being accused of trolling when in fact just making a joke. The defintion of trolling is pretty weird on this forum. It appears anything a mod disagrees with is regarded as trolling.

My understanding is that trolling is deliberate and malicious use of language, swearing or other offensive words to cause upset and distress.

Personally im upset that i can be lumped in with people that are generally sick and moronic and tarred with the same brush, merely for saying something flippant or silly. Can people not appreciate the difference between the two, sometimes i make jokes, but never to deliberately offend or to antagonise.

Pretty sure this thread will get locked, but would the 'establishment' please review their overly aggressive stance on humour or flippancy.

Deleted
    Mods on this forum most certainly do not know the difference, I have been infracted for all kinds of insane shit that nobody in their right mind could take seriously or take offence to.

Jokes are funny to everyone, trolling is only fun to the person who's doing it. So maybe they don't find your jokes so funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    jokes from some anonymous person usually do come off as trolling. i dont know you, i dont know what is a joke to you, just as you dont know what is a joke to me. sometimes humor is pretty recognizable, but often times people think their clever wit is easily noticed by all, when in fact, its pretty obscure and comes off as trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

The term "trolling" is used incredibly loosely here. Don't get hung up on the terminology, just get a feel for what's off limits. You can go a long time without an infraction once you get a feel for it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Jokes are funny to everyone, trolling is only fun to the person who's doing it. So maybe they don't find your jokes so funny.
    I disagree. Something that one person may find funny, another may find offensive.

@OP: The difference between trolling and 'sense of humour' varies from person to person. A thick skin solves that issue, and melds the two together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

10+ Year Old Account
    I like "edgy" (damn I hate that word now) humor when its funny. On the internet its usually not funny and falling the category of obnoxiousness or veiled bigotry.

Also "trolling" has become too broad of term. Time to move past it.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2014-10-28 at 12:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I once got infracted for saying "To marry a Korean girl you have to beat her father at Starcraft" which has been a joke for a long time, for someone who's followed Starcraft.

So I'd say it's hit and miss.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I once got infracted for saying "To marry a Korean girl you have to beat her father at Starcraft" which has been a joke for a long time, for someone who's followed Starcraft.

So I'd say it's hit and miss.
    You seriously got infracted for that? That's ridiculous.

To the o.p.: I've been banned a few times, a lot of mods on these forums have really thin skin, and one in particular is really quick at banning anyone he disagrees with, using any excuse to do so. Pretty much get used to watering down your jokes and comments, or you'll probably spend a lot of time banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    You seriously got infracted for that? That's ridiculous.
    It was a long time ago now, I don't think the mod who did it even visits the site any more.

I also got banned once because someone asked in the Starcraft Megathread what to say to get easy infractions. So I responded with a tirade of racism and bigotry that looked a little too genuine rather than suggestions and acting, and so I got infracted for it. That one was a while ago too. I'm surprised that mods even visit that thread.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

It was a long time ago now, I don't think the mod who did it even visits the site any more.

I also got banned once because someone asked in the Starcraft Megathread what to say to get easy infractions. So I responded with a tirade of racism and bigotry that looked a little too genuine rather than suggestions and acting, and so I got infracted for it. That one was a while ago too. I'm surprised that mods even visit that thread.
    I think Mods just lurk and have 300+ pages open with posters' recent posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I'm done here, why did I actually bother to give a serious reply on page 1 I guess this is a perfect example of why discussions on the internet are so fucking pointless
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Overthrowing governments is far different than trying to influence a population

10+ Year Old Account

Depends a bit on what moderator you get in that subforum as well, a few are more tolerant than others.

Deleted
    Discussing moderation is an infractable offence, the irony.

British humor natlurally leads to infractions.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Trolling is just baiting [i.e. trawling] people into replying and looking stupid or making them angry. Pretty close to joking seeing as there'd be no fun in it if they weren't bothered, but there is a difference. Some trolls just don't know when to give up and end up looking stupid rather than making others look stupid.

Mods on this forum most certainly do not know the difference, I have been infracted for all kinds of insane shit that nobody in their right mind could take seriously or take offence to.
    It's because you're the favourite forum fag (I think I just made a new thing by accident), all the other mods are jealous.

Trolling does actually have a proper meaning, it's just that the meaning has been lost as more and more people have heard it used without knowing the meaning and come up with their own.

Trolling is a fishing technique in which lures or bait are drawn through the water in attempt to attract the attention of fish. This is applied to internet trolling where a bait post is laid down to lead people on. The troll will be either intending to draw rage or a very specific response. A good troll can lay down a trap argument and let someone argue their own point invalid. A key part of something actually being trolling is that it has to be BAIT. If the poster genuinely believes their post IT IS NOT TROLLING.

Starting a thread entitled....I dunno "10 reasons why the US sucks monkey nuts" is pretty basic trolling. The intention will be to attract US citizens to defend themselves and other people to attack the US, whilst sitting back and watching the chaos unfold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Discussing moderation is an infractable offence, the irony.
    Keep your democratic insinuations out of here mister!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Trolling is just baiting [i.e. trawling] people into replying and looking stupid or making them angry. Pretty close to joking seeing as there'd be no fun in it if they weren't bothered, but there is a difference. Some trolls just don't know when to give up and end up looking stupid rather than making others look stupid.

It's because you're the favourite forum fag (I think I just made a new thing by accident), all the other mods are jealous.
    You say that, but I once got infracted but being homophobic.

Deleted
    The funny thing is you see people get wrong all the time for making a joke, but when you say something that's actually mean and aggressive and rude because you're angry well aware that you're getting +5 for it it's like hit and miss whether you actually get that +5

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been banned twice for trolling/flaming, gets kind of old, especially when it's people starting in with me and getting banned for calling someone a moron.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.