Poll: Do servers matter?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do Servers even matter any more?

Title says it all, With CRZ, LFM and so much cross server grouping and merged auction houses do servers even matter any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Technique
    Capitalism and democracy are not synonymous

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondjim View Post
    Title says it all, With CRZ, LFM and so much cross server grouping and merged auction houses do servers even matter any more?
    Eh.. Getting to the point of, "not really".
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Not really no.

And since this is an on going process it will even matter less and less.

It was always foolish to think that a community is defined by the technical limits of a single server.

EVE has server clusters and the mainstay in an MMORPG should always be the Guild play, not some artificial limited number of 2K players per faction.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-11-05 at 12:39 AM.

As long as you can't mail gold / items cross server, then yeah it matters. I can't tell you how annoying it is to have my main on one server, and 8 other chars with gold and items on other server.

Will be even more annoying when wod hits cause garrisons.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's getting to the point of no, but isn't there yet. As other said, as long as you can't trade items or share a guild bank, or do the last bit of progression raiding cross-server, servers still matter. Definitely not many barriers to go, though, and it would be nice if they broke those down. It would cost them server transfer money, sure, but servers are outdated concepts anyway. The technology exists for MMOs not to need them ever again, but most new games keep using them for some reason I can't really figure out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyechewer View Post
    As long as you can't mail gold / items cross server, then yeah it matters. I can't tell you how annoying it is to have my main on one server, and 8 other chars with gold and items on other server.

Will be even more annoying when wod hits cause garrisons.
    Sure there is the individual situations such as that, and a few others which makes different servers still, Different Servers.

I interpreted his question in more of, grouping and accessibility terms. Such as, getting into decent, viable raids & other grouping activities, quickly and doing it more efficiently.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Yes they do. Blizz still offers paid server transfers, and there is still demand for them. If servers didnt matter at all that wouldn't be the case.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd say yes. My server is big enough and stable enough that it didn't get the connected realm treatment.
    Same shit, different day.
    Better busy than dead.

They really need to merge the official realm forums to match the actual server mergers. The individual servers don't matter for social purposes.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Raids arent CRZ until after a certain time so yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    Yes they do. Blizz still offers paid server transfers, and there is still demand for them. If servers didnt matter at all that wouldn't be the case.
    Well the same people pay to leave que times on high pop servers when wod comes out
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Technique
    Capitalism and democracy are not synonymous

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    Raids arent CRZ until after a certain time so yeah?
    Normal and heroic will be cross-realm from the beginning...but yeah, for anyone doing mythic server will still be important because that's same-realm-only until the next tier is released.

Deleted
    It matters if you want to make a char named Illidan you need to do it on the Stormrage server, because chat messages now always get displayed as [Name-Server], even for people from the same server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes they do, PVP/PVE wise, progress through raids, different economy, names and also population.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I'm from Moon Guard...

Merely because of that, it is a reason I've been kicked from LFR and LFD.
    Also, a lot of people ask to group with me so their character will be carried onto our server temporarily. Usually for the same reason... to walk around Goldshire or Silvermoon with their 90 instead of their crude ERP alt.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

There are different realm types. PVP, PVE, RP and so forth. So yes, servers do matter.

The only thing that makes it matter is the obscene cost of transferring characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Do they matter less than they used to? Yes.
    Are they insignificant? No.

Here's some things:

1) Guilds very much still exist, and will always be super popular.
    2) You can't raid the hardest difficulty in the game without being on the same sever as everyone in the raid.
    3) People still to this day, have server pride. Hypothetical Example: Blood Legion is on Illidan, I'm from Illidan and they get US server firsts. There's a sense of pride whenever you go onto wowprogress and see that your server is where a top guild is and where even many top guilds are.
    4) Some servers still have personalities. Prime example, Moon Guard.

And I'm sure people could add onto this list but that's all I can think of at 3AM.

No they still matter, but yes, to a lesser degree.

Deleted
    Totally yes!

10+ Year Old Account
    yes

Not every zone is CRZ. Even if all of them were, not every CRZ realm-pool has the same Horde to Alliance ratio. I'm actually about to transfer my Alliance Druid off of KJ-US because of how dead Alliance is.

No cross realm mail outside of BoA's.

I'm sure I could think of more if I cared to.