Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why do people struggle so much with the idea that 1+2+3+4+5... = -1/12 ?

The fun things you can do by (ab)using infinity.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Because the = there has a different meaning than the equal used in 1+1 =2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Because the = there has a different meaning than the equal used in 1+1 =2
    Not at all.... it is mathematically true that 1+2+3+4+5... (to infinity) = -1/12.

Using '=' to represent mathematical equality.

Deleted
    Is this a thing? This is cool. I don't have sound on the PC I'm on so the video probably won't make much sense to me. Could someone explain this in stupid person terms?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Is this a thing? This is cool. I don't have sound on the PC I'm on so the video probably won't make much sense to me. Could someone explain this in stupid person terms?
    Has nothing to do with stupidity. Maths is almost like a language, if you don't constantly use and (re)learn it you will struggle A LOT even with the basic elements of it.

That being said, the OP could have posted it in the other thread instead of trying boost his ego: "OH MY GAWD GUYS I DONT KNOW WHY SO MANY PEOPLE DONT GET IT OH MY GAWD!!!!11".

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    To be honest, I doubt anyone who inhabits these forums would be able to explain it at all

Whilst I am guessing a few people understand it, explaining it is non-trivial in the extreme. I'm not one of either category sorry.

The basics are that it relies on being able to add/subtract two infinite series to/from each other (this example is just for show):

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = (2 - 1) + (4 - 2) + (6 - 3) + (8 - 4) + (10 - 5) ...

which equals

2+4+6+8+10.... PLUS -1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5...

etc....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baikalsan View Post
    That being said, the OP could have posted it in the other thread instead of trying boost his ego: "OH MY GAWD GUYS I DONT KNOW WHY SO MANY PEOPLE DONT GET IT OH MY GAWD!!!!11".
    It seems humour is a little beyond you, sorry to say.

I thought it was entertaining in its own right... so posted a new thread. No need to bring your insults here on my account.

We should have a seperate sub-forum for this called 'Why do people struggle so much with the idea that...'

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Not at all.... it is mathematically true that 1+2+3+4+5... (to infinity) = -1/12.

No it's not. The foillowing, however, is true: Z(-1)=-1/12, with Z (the Riemann Zeta Function, ASCII is a pain in the arse) being defined as the continuation/extension of the classical sum definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Reliefpfeiler View Post
    No it's not. The foillowing, however, is true: Z(-1)=-1/12,
    Yep, the equals sign isn't the issue here, it is the rest of the stuff that needs explanation. Thus the video.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paluman View Post
    We should have a seperate sub-forum for this called 'Why do people struggle so much with the idea that...'
    Or, maybe people can just go to the shop and buy a sense of humour. It was meant to be a play on the other thread title, this one is far more complex and outlandish than the other - but interesting in my opinion.

Deleted

It seems humour is a little beyond you, sorry to say.

I thought it was entertaining in its own right... so posted a new thread. No need to bring your insults here on my account.
    Yea sorry you are right. I shouldn't post I'm too grumpy atm, apologies.

10+ Year Old Account

No...it doesn't. I'll quote a few of the comments that explains it better than I could.

-1/12 is no more legitimate than infinity. The video uses arbitrary steps to reach it. "Oh, we'll use this series that never settles on one value, and say it settles on one value, 0.5" and just gets more arbitrary from there.
    They are using equations that don't have answers plus other equations that don't have answers to answer an equation.....

But to better explain it, here's another.

How can you say that a sum is an average? Average is a sum divided by the size of the data pool. A sum is a sum. Your sum 1+1-1+1 ... is divergent and cannot be solved.

that's nice that you use Cesaro summation, however, this summation is not a strict sum. It is still an average. Just because it has summation in the name doesn't mean you can use it as a sum.

On the other hand, if you in your videos consider "=" to be something else than standard equal sign then it's all right but you have to define your operators first. But considering your "=" is not equality than your arithmetic gymnastic has no practical application anyway.

Deleted
    So your asking why some people struggle with basic elements of string theory? The majority of people can barely manage basic algebra. Also this isnt really something you would know, or even need to know unless you were looking at elements of string theory

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    No...it doesn't. I'll quote a few of the comments that explains it better than I could.
    It does to the best of my ability to use English and ASCII characters to represent what really needs maths to describe. Again - thus the video link.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    So your asking why some people struggle with basic elements of string theory?
    No - why would you assume that ?

I know why they struggle with it - cause it is some pretty weird stuff.

Deleted
    So I think it would be best if everyone could just go ahead and inform themselves:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_zeta_function
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic_continuation

So I think it would be best if everyone could just go ahead and inform themselves:
    Maybe I should have posted a video link where an expert explains it for the common man like me.

OH WAIT.

Deleted
    Maybe I should have posted a video link where an expert explains it for the common man like me.

OH WAIT.
    Maybe, if they read the links provided, people would understand the subject and much more.

OH WAIT.

Maybe, if they read the links provided, people would understand the subject and much more.
    Nope ... because an expert can explain something better than a wall of text.

You go to the wall of text to get the details, you go to an expert to get an explanation.

I provided the explanation, you provided the details - between the two of us, I think we have all bases covered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lamp. Near the town of chair, in the country Coffee Table.
    what's really niggling me is, why does he push the 2nd part of 2S+2S along? I can't see an explanation of why he does that but doesn't for S-2S. I assume there's a rule in maths for doing this?

10+ Year Old Account
    It does to the best of my ability to use English and ASCII characters to represent what really needs maths to describe. Again - thus the video link.
    Which is where I got the quotes from that refute the claim that infinity = -1/12.

Quick, hide this or people will find out the whole of normalization and quantum theory is based in a beautifully crafted tautology!.