Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

New EU migrants add £5bn to UK, report says

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29910497

So what's your opinion on this report?

10+ Year Old Account
    My opinion is that people with half a brain already knew this, and everyone else will still decry that immigrants as a whole are ruining the country - as opposed to just a section of them.

Honestly this is of no surprise, it's like saying that the sun illuminates the earth. Nice to have an exact figure on it but we already roughly knew it, and those with blinders will still engage their blinders.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Interesting. I wonder what the figures are in the US, since there are always talk that "immigrants are stealing our jobs".
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Still won't stop the British from brutally beating the EU immigrants from those countries.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    Interesting. I wonder what the figures are in the US, since there are always talk that "immigrants are stealing our jobs".
    Either that or immigrants are leeching from the state.

Immigrants never do anything right, apparently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still won't stop the British from brutally beating the EU immigrants from those countries.
    Which is different from Bulgarians beating up Syrian immigrants?

What planet do you live on? Seriously. Most of your posts are so far from reality I'm actually worried about your well being.

Don't tell UKIP, and certainly don't tell David Cameron....

"We're not paying the EU because it's not fair, even though we get several fuck-tons more money from them"

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    What planet do you live on? Seriously. Most of your posts are so far from reality I'm actually worried about your well being.
    http://www.u.tv/News/Hate-crime-vict...1-87575984a777
    A group of men, two of whom were armed with a knife and hatchet, threatened and attacked two Hungarian men in their 20s who were walking in the Glenbryn area at around 10.30pm on Friday.

The victims fled the scene and managed to get into a car in the Hesketh Park area and drive off.

They were hurt in the incident but their injuries are not life-threatening.

Attila Biro, 28, explained he is friends with the men who were attacked.

"People met my friend in the street, he had a big knife and he show my friend," he told UTV.

"He said 'you can't live here', he [was told to move to] other address because we [are] coming [from] Hungary and we can't live here."

After the attack, the gang then threw a wheelie bin at a window of a house in the area, where the residents are also Eastern European. No one inside the property was harmed.
    Are you claiming that people from those countries aren't attacked regularly?

Anecdotes != Regular events Cybran.

Deleted
    The report is bollocks. A lot of factors were pointed out as being left out that pointed to them actually costing 150bn

Deleted
    I thought he'd mention Belfast.

Having lived there and going back every so often, i can say they give as good as they get, in the sense that they treat the rest like shit and stick together.

Not justification or excuses for the attacks upon them, but when two groups of people loathe each other and play it as Us v Them, well go figure.

But Belfast isn't representative of the United Kingdom.

I'm claiming that the frequency of such attacks aren't regular at all merely isolated incidents from an ill informed, violent, minority. I would further go on to claim that you are blinded by your own agenda of UK bashing. I've lurked long enough to feel comfortable saying that.

Deleted
    Funny thing is, the countries with the highest foreign immigrant ratios actually welcome it, unlike Britain.
    Slovenia (90%), Romania (86%), Portugal (84%) and the Czech Republic (83%) have a higher foreign immigration ratio, from outside the EU, mostly China, the Middle East and former Soviet States.

I think Britain and the Western countries should find ways to encourage immigration to Eastern and Central Europe instead of demonizing immigrants. It is a viable long term solution that can help Westerners feel less suffocated.
    Unfortunately, nobody is willing to tackle this problem seriously in the EU. Most people still think Eastern Europe is some sort of 3rd world hell haunted by the former communist specter.

10+ Year Old Account

We know there are xenophobic and racist people on the UK, that's pretty much unavoidable, but we have strict laws in place to deal with them. Can the same be said of all countries? Your country for instance has a deplorable record on abusing immigrants, so does that make all Bulgarians xenophobic scum, or just some of them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Don't tell UKIP, and certainly don't tell David Cameron....

"We're not paying the EU because it's not fair, even though we get several fuck-tons more money from them"
    Difference is that UKIP actually believes that stuff. I don't for a second think David Cameron believes that stuff half as fiercely (and that's being generous) as he wants to make out. They know that they're a bonus, but they've got to pander to voters who didn't go to private school. That was a sacrifice they made.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Difference is that UKIP actually believes that stuff. I don't for a second think David Cameron believes that stuff half as fiercely (and that's being generous) as he wants to make out. They know that they're a bonus, but they've got to pander to voters who didn't go to private school. That was a sacrifice they made.
    Please believe me when I say that as an Eastern European immigrant in the UK I have no problem with brits leaving the EU or restricting/punishing/shaming immigrants. Their country, their rules, their right to choose how the county is run.
    What I can't accept however is the UKIP's completely idiotic economic policies and solutions. I fear that once the immigrant scapegoat has been milked to death, people will come to the same conclusions Eastern Europeans did:
    Politicians care about themselves more that the people they represent and there is no such thing as a nationalistic messiah that can deliver peace and prosperity along side isolationism in this day and age.

Deleted
    So immigrants paid their taxes for jobs we provided. That doesn't demonstrate that the jobs wouldn't be done, and taxes wouldn't be paid if immigrants weren't arriving, it also doesn't mean that those immigrants must come from the EU. It also illustrates that longer term immigration eventually increases the burden on the state. A bunch of 20 somethings without kids doing work won't increase the costs in schools and hospitals. Once they hit 40-50 the burden will go up.

Ultimately the report shows that skilled workers add value. Nobody is disputing that, and it's silly to suggest that upon the UK's EU exit skilled workers will be banned from entering.

Deleted
    I live in a city that is 50%+ non-native, I love it, some of the neighborhoods are well known all the way up to Rabat, I can get food from literary all over the world and as a bonus, when I walk trough certain parts of the city on a sunny day, it feels like I'm in some exotic country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    So immigrants paid their taxes for jobs we provided. That doesn't demonstrate that the jobs wouldn't be done, and taxes wouldn't be paid if immigrants weren't arriving, it also doesn't mean that those immigrants must come from the EU. It also illustrates that longer term immigration eventually increases the burden on the state. A bunch of 20 somethings without kids doing work won't increase the costs in schools and hospitals. Once they hit 40-50 the burden will go up.

Ultimately the report shows that skilled workers add value. Nobody is disputing that, and it's silly to suggest that upon the UK's EU exit skilled workers will be banned from entering.
    My dad has to actually hire people from Poland/Hungary/.. because there simply aren't enough Belgian workers with the necessary skills.

Anyone who believes the issues the British (Myself included) have regarding the E.U. are entirely centered around Immigration is foolish.

I personally think immigration is an amazing system, that lets us bring in skilled, capable and worthwhile individuals who contribute. The truth is though that that number seems low to me. It's a lot of money, but I bet it'd be a lot higher if there wasn't an open door policy on immigration.

Also, a lot of other issues are present in the Anti-EU debate, immigration is just one part of it.