I feel as though my employer owes me money.

Let me start by saying that I work at a seasonal amusement park (as a side job) and there has been an ongoing dispute between myself and Human Resources over money that I earned, but never received. I should note that this season has ended, so I (as well as most other employees) am currently on hiatus there until next season. At the amusement park there is a rewards program where if you receive customer compliments or are a hard worker, then you get 'reward cards' that you can cash in for Amazon gift cards (among other things). Well I have a total of 17 reward cards right now and have been saving up for months to get a $10 Amazon gift card (they cost 13 cards). I tried to cash in my cards when I first hit 13, but HR said they were sold out.

So I came back about a month later (this time with 17) and tried to get an Amazon gift card again, but they said that they "lost" the reward card banking list, so they couldn't confirm how many reward cards I had. I thought that this was pretty ridiculous, but they were being friendly about it, so I gave the HR manager my phone number and he said he would call me once he found it. About a week or two went by and I still hadn't received a phone call, so I emailed the general manager about it. The general manager quickly replied to my email and said that he would definitely look into it and make sure I get the Amazon gift card that I had saved up for months to get.

About a month went by and I hadn't heard anything back from my general manager, so I sent him a follow up email a couple of days ago, but he hasn't replied. I think it's pretty ridiculous that I should have to suffer, just because HR lost the booklet, especially since I have a list of the several managers who have given me rewards cards and they can all vouch for the fact that I did receive them and am not trying to scam them with fake rewards cards.

I know it's only $10 (plus four left-over rewards cards that are also "lost" now), but I feel as though I should still receive my money. If my general manager doesn't reply in a few more days, I'm tempted to contact my assistant supervisors about the matter. If that doesn't solve the problem, then I have even considered filing a lawsuit against the company (even if no laws were officially broken, this would probably make them settle outside of court). I'm not one of those people who wants a ridiculous sum of money, I just want my $10 (and maybe compensation for the four other "lost" rewards cards). I am somewhat reluctant to take things that far, however, as I am still technically an employee of the company. I don't really need the job, as I'm already working nearly full-time at another job, but I have still been considering staying on at the amusement park and working next season, as I like my job there, my coworkers (and supervisors) and the company itself (except HR, which is pretty terrible). In other words, I primarily only work there for fun and a little bit of extra money on the side. Not to mention that if I stay on next season, I will be promoted to management (and likely serve as a trainer), which would look good on my resume.

I am torn on this, because on one hand I want the Amazon gift card that I feel I have rightly earned. However, on the other hand, I have a pretty good thing going for me with the company; I am well respected by my peers and supervisors, I am about to become a low-level manager and I receive pretty good benefits. I don't want to risk all of that over $10, but I feel as though I have earned that through my loyal service to the company (hence why I have 17 rewards cards). Anyone have any ideas on how I should go about handling the situation?

Note: I originally posted this on Facepunch: http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1436623

Its $10, let it go. $10 is not worth your time and effort. The sheer amount of hours you will have to pour into this will outweigh the $10. In Canada there is a labor board you can contact over non-payments, but I dont know if that applies to rewards. Either way, its $10 get over it.

Deleted
    It is $10, get over it, my employer owes me tens of thousands in overtime that I will never see, fuck it.

All this for 10$, shit you must be hurting for cash if you are making this big a fuss.
    The caged bird sings /with a fearful trill /of things unknown /but longed for still /and his tune is heard /on the distant hill /for the caged bird/ sings of freedom.

Go up to your assistant supervisors if you wish, but that's it. Your case will be laughed out of court, not to mention you definitely won't make them try to settle out of court to save face. Plus, as far as I know, you aren't even allowed to sue somebody for something of less than 20 dollars (unless laws have changed since I have learned of this fact). If doing all of that and going to your assistant supervisor doesn't do anything, then call it a lost cause. You even said you don't really need the job, so why make a fuss over 10 dollars? If it was a greater amount, sure, you earned it and have people that can back you up, but 10 dollars is just ridiculous to make a big deal over. Especially if it isn't even concrete money, but rather credit to a website.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordrakan View Post
    Go up to your assistant supervisors if you wish, but that's it. Your case will be laughed out of court, not to mention you definitely won't make them try to settle out of court to save face. Plus, as far as I know, you aren't even allowed to sue somebody for something of less than 20 dollars (unless laws have changed since I have learned of this fact). If doing all of that and going to your assistant supervisor doesn't do anything, then call it a lost cause. You even said you don't really need the job, so why make a fuss over 10 dollars? If it was a greater amount, sure, you earned it and have people that can back you up, but 10 dollars is just ridiculous to make a big deal over. Especially if it isn't even concrete money, but rather credit to a website.
    I recognize that there is a $20 limit, but we aren't technically dealing with money, we are dealing with "rewards cards," which have no monetary value. Plus I might be able to get them to accept it on the grounds of all the time and effort I had to put into it and/or emotional damages. I just want my $10 gift card though.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    It is $10, get over it, my employer owes me tens of thousands in overtime that I will never see, fuck it.
    You're the one getting fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Hupriest View Post
    All this for 10$, shit you must be hurting for cash if you are making this big a fuss.
    I make $800 a month during the school year and $1600 a month during the summer and have very few bills. I wouldn't say that I'm hurting for money, but you can buy a lot with $10, plus there's also the principle of the whole thing.

But but but but....I thought Nakura worked with Private Military Contractors being privy to Top Hush Hush info from the DoD.

#sodissapointed

10+ Year Old Account
    I stopped reading at $10, I wont even read your post for that, just let it go.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    You've spent more money hassling over it than the money is worth, literally wasting the money. I wouldn't worry about it between school, Costco, Walmart, Chikfila, and whatever other jobs you work.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Worth View Post
    You're the one getting fucked.
    Yeah, but what can I do apart from apply more lube?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I made $10 in the time I read your wall of text.

Kick up a fuss over $10 and you will destroy their opinion of you. If you want to return next season, or even just get a decent reference, let it lie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being from where you're from, i probably know where you're talking about. About 15-20 years ago they were pretty scummy, and I'm sure not much has changed.

Personally I wouldn't go back, and I would just forget about the 10 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePants999 View Post
    Kick up a fuss over $10 and you will destroy their opinion of you. If you want to return next season, or even just get a decent reference, let it lie.
    You're probably right.

Deleted
    Just steal ten dollars worth of stuff. Shit.

Keep good records and documentation, is what I'd recommend.

The documentation serves as verification, and can usually fill in the gaps of their (mis)management.

Keep the originals, make lots of copies, is what I'd recommend.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    ...emotional damages...
    HAH! No but seriously. Let it go.